New Gear Knob I Think

Dicky

I’m looking to splash out for the new year and buy a new gear knob. I fancy a round shaped aluminium number. Ive seen a couple on ebay and bugger the fact their nearly £7 each I'm considering casting caution to the wind. B)

Anyone recommend another supplier as I’m not to keen on ebay and any advice regarding choosing a suitable one. I’d hate to spend all that dosh and find its to low/high

Look up KTA's thread on gear knobs, he gets them machined to fit and you can choose designs etc. Will set you back about £50 but are well worth it.

I ended up buying a Momo King off ebay, of these guys in fact http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOMO-KING-SATIN-ALUMINIUM-BLACK-GEAR-STICK-SHIFT-KNOB-/370557900594 - swift delivery no hassle. I had the matching handbrake which I got second hand and it looks alright once the pair are fitted :thumbs:

Brake2.jpg

You've read my mind :D

I was going to put up a 'show us your knob' thread :lol:

I recently bought a Nismo Carbon Knob, but it's a bit small for me, i'm used to handling much bigger knobs :blush: so i'll be selling it on....

Anybody have one of these? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6spd-Gear-kno ... 58835ffb39

The round alloy one looks good and the red lettering would work with my red 350.Looks like it would shorten the gearchange too (generally good,but 1 to 2 when cold will be worse)...but very icy to the touch at this time of year.

I recently bought a Nismo Carbon Knob, but it's a bit small for me, i'm used to handling much bigger knobs :blush: so i'll be selling it on....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ive seen a couple on ebay that look ok but Im a bit bothered what you get for £6.99 :scare:

I'll look into what coldel suggests cos I quite like his knob but without the tattooing (thats got to have hurt). By the way a "Show us ure Knob" thread sounds like a winner to me. Might even get the wife interested in cars :yahoo:

The round alloy one looks good and the red lettering would work with my red 350.Looks like it would shorten the gearchange too (generally good,but 1 to 2 when cold will be worse)...but very icy to the touch at this time of year.

Oh bugger. Thats a good point. When you touch the metal at the base of the gear lever your fingers almost stick :scare:

Look up KTA's thread on gear knobs, he gets them machined to fit and you can choose designs etc. Will set you back about £50 but are well worth it.

I ended up buying a Momo King off ebay, of these guys in fact http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOMO-KING-SATIN-ALUMINIUM-BLACK-GEAR-STICK-SHIFT-KNOB-/370557900594 - swift delivery no hassle. I had the matching handbrake which I got second hand and it looks alright once the pair are fitted :thumbs:

Brake2.jpg

Coldel young man, was there much involved in removing your old handbrake lever and fitting the new one. I think I'd like to copy yours

Actually it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. All you do is that a sharp knife (a cheap craft knife is worth investing in) and cut along the top of the handbrake leather, cut along the stitching its easiest. It will then start to come away - you then have to cut down to the base then across to completely remove it. It then goes in the bin :scare:

You will need to invest in a handbrake boot, and the handbrake itself. With the handbrake cover you will get a number of rubber bungs which you need to push inside the handbrake, test fit one of these on the exposed metal to get the size then push it up into the handbrake cover. You can try test fitting the handbrake cover on at this point to make sure the button is exposed, if it isnt you need to modify the handbrake cover which means cutting a wedge out of it at the base at the back (there are guides on here for this somewhere). I didnt need to do this with the one I had. Grab the leather boot you have bought, slide that over the handbrake lever and tuck it into the rubber. Handbrake cover now goes on, these usually have little screws that go from the outside through to the handbrake lever, you tighten these to hold it in place. Then pull up the boot and attach to the handbrake cover. Voila.

Did mine a bit on the cheap, got the boot off ebay for about £12, the handbrake was second hand again off ebay.

Sounds complicated, looks scary, but really it isnt all that bad :thumbs:

Actually it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. All you do is that a sharp knife (a cheap craft knife is worth investing in) and cut along the top of the handbrake leather, cut along the stitching its easiest. It will then start to come away - you then have to cut down to the base then across to completely remove it. It then goes in the bin :scare:

You will need to invest in a handbrake boot, and the handbrake itself. With the handbrake cover you will get a number of rubber bungs which you need to push inside the handbrake, test fit one of these on the exposed metal to get the size then push it up into the handbrake cover. You can try test fitting the handbrake cover on at this point to make sure the button is exposed, if it isnt you need to modify the handbrake cover which means cutting a wedge out of it at the base at the back (there are guides on here for this somewhere). I didnt need to do this with the one I had. Grab the leather boot you have bought, slide that over the handbrake lever and tuck it into the rubber. Handbrake cover now goes on, these usually have little screws that go from the outside through to the handbrake lever, you tighten these to hold it in place. Then pull up the boot and attach to the handbrake cover. Voila.

Did mine a bit on the cheap, got the boot off ebay for about £12, the handbrake was second hand again off ebay.

Sounds complicated, looks scary, but really it isnt all that bad :thumbs:

RESPECT!

Coldel young man, was there much involved in removing your old handbrake lever and fitting the new one. I think I'd like to copy yours

Have a search there are loads of thread on changing the handbrake cover :thumbs:

I will do that very thing :thumbs:

I got that Ball one i linked earlier, arrived today. Very impressed :)

Heavy quality feel, nicely machined, feels good :)

Happy :)

IMG_0316-1.jpg

How did you finish off the leather gaiter at the bottom of the gear knob? Just fitted mine from ebay but it doesn’t provide any means of securing the gaiter to the base of the knob. It seems the gaiter is supposed to stand up on its own accord (which it doesn’t). Pushing the gear lever forward exposes the gear lever shaft. Had to hold it in position with a black ty-wrap which aint very pretty. Not much good with the old computer but will try to post pictures later so people can learn from my mistake. It wasn’t expensive (and that’s probably the problem) but I think it looks good, just a pity they couldn’t have designed it better.