Ordered four 19" Toyo Proxys T1-S for £400 delivered!

rickya

Following on from my thread a couple of days ago about the differences between T1-R which replaces T1-S, I have taken the plunge about T1-S's.

Definetley the T1-R is a better tyre, around hard corners, especially in dry due to a firmer sidewall. But due to the fact I had already blown a bit on new 19" alloys & didn't want to get thrown out of the house by the Mrs £400 seemed like the right price!

Quite a good deal for 2x 245/40/19 & 2x 275/35/19, inc Vat & delivery for £400. It was either these or Nankang NS2's from mytyres at £450 all in. (Nankang being a budget sports tyre). The only issue with the T1-S is that as they are being phased out & if I get an unrepairable bad puncture in a e.g years time, it could be a pulavah getting hold of a T1-S.

But you cant have your cake & eat it as they say..... :surrender:

Cheers all for advice. :teeth:

After doing some research and getting advice from you guys on the forum I decided that the rears choice was simple the front a little more complicated.

The (19" on 9.5" width alloy / 20mm offset allround) rears would be very good in 275/35 but I would have prefered maybe 285 purely for more rim protection. But there are not that many companies that produce 285/35 size & they are more costly.

The fronts are a difficult choice for me due to comfort, understeer & TCS/Rolling Radius issues. Due to the weight of the engine being over the front wheels & the obvious forces on the tyres on hard braking; cornering; & the most of all the crappy bumpy roads around here, I preferd not to go for 40 & not 35 profile. I also had to keep the rolling radius within certain limits so that the Traction control doesnt get confused & start cutting in unnecceasarily.

Finally there was post earlier this year by CDR_UK which was quite useful & made me think of understeer issues - It is known that there is a excessive turn in understeer when pushed hard so CDR following Japanese tunning company examples reduced the sidewall height of the front tyres. So he went down to 40 profile on the front to stiffen the sidewalls & keeping the tyre width the same. I have gone down to 40 profile but have unfortunately increased width to 245. I wanted 225 or 235 but due to my budget on tyres I had to get what they had at the price which was 245/40. When the next tyre change comes round I will go to 225 (or maybe 235 for rim protection?) with the 40 profile.

By increasing the width of the front tyres I am only adding to the understeer problem, therefore keeping the width to 225 & stiffening the sidewall height by going down to 40 would have been ideal. There are also greater rolling road differences with 245/40 rather than 235 or 225 / 40. (re: Rochford tyres tyres sive calculator) http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/tyrecalc.asp.

On the topic of tyres size calculators: I first worked out diff betwwen old fronts & new fronts & then old rears & new rears diff. Made sure these were not too much. Then the diff between old fronts & old rears figure (due to stagger & profile diff) should be as close to the new diff between front & rear figure. This would have been ideal with 235/40 on the front.

Yes £400 is a great price, should be delivered to me on Monday. Alloys arrived yesterday & they are lovely!!!! B)B) With the alloys I ordered locking nuts, I just have to order that AF-250 spray & find a good place to do a full laser alignment & fitting. My local fitter is good but doesnt have those expensive laser machines.

Final question I'l need to address are tyre pressures which can be trial & error, but any help appreciated to get me started :D

I have RE050 tyres on the front. I have found them fine. The front end doesn't understeer and I have found these ok even in the wet.

I was wondering about getting these for the rear too (when they need replaced.)

The understeer is something I have read about a couple of times & was something they were discussing once on a Palmer motorsport day I went on, but I suppose they were comparing the zed to the twitchy oversteer of a ferrari 360 etc :wacko: