Ex member, contemplating a 350z track car

R800NER

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame Elise's don't have an adjustable steering column so I could drive them, I quite like them. :(

it might be possible to shroten the steering column with a bit of engineering, but not sure in the cost involved. or the time it would take.

probably looking at a complete dash strip (not so bad in an elise, as there isn't much dash) dismantle the froot and the steering system, cut down the column and then rebuild.

It's a shame Elise's don't have an adjustable steering column so I could drive them, I quite like them. :(

it might be possible to shroten the steering column with a bit of engineering, but not sure in the cost involved. or the time it would take.

probably looking at a complete dash strip (not so bad in an elise, as there isn't much dash) dismantle the froot and the steering system, cut down the column and then rebuild.

I'd need to move it upwards as when I squeeze in to the car my legs rest on the steering wheel so I can't turn it! I guess I could get a smaller after market wheel though.

The bonnet weights next to nothing anyways so I wouldn't bother with that as its aluminium.

Agreed. If I could be bothered going out to the garage I could actually weigh my spare bonnet. They are very light, usually lighter than CF, which often cracks over time, especially with the bonnet being opened more often that your regular road car. Most over here are running stock bonnets over here unless running the Stillen SC.

I'd say why not go for the 350 as a track car. We have a number of heavily worked and full on track 350's over here, and they run competitively, in a number of race series, both track and full Targa cars, if you look to that direction and get serious about it. You will get the odd breakage, that's the nature of racing, and if that's a major concern, then racing probably isn't something to do. Sounds like R00ner is pretty keen to track a 350. :thumbs::drive1

in order to get my seat lower in the 350z i got some to remove the metal lump under the carpet, with a roll cage you obviously lose a bit of headroom, im sure in an elise like mentioned above if you get rid of the sliding rail and bolted to the chassis on an adjustable bracket you would gain more head space, either that or get an exige, they have more head room, or a vx220 which have lots of head room, though arnt great in a roll... :(

Quite interesting reading all this. I don't have much experience on the matter but i got my 350z as its a great compriise between performance, cost, looks and everyday refinement.

If i had a second car that i use for commuting then refinement and to some extent looks are obselete so i would be looking for something else

I would be looking at a caterham or similar, an elise or VX220. or an MR2 if i didn't want to spend loads

I would not get a FWD car as in my opionion FWD is a comprimise for extra space in a car. works well in a fun hot hatch for the road but it will allways be a compramise.

As much as i love my Zed, and it is a very fun car to drive, i would not get one for a track car because i think the cost to get it up to track stanndard and run it on track would be too great.

But i say if you can afford to run it, and want a decent sized engine go for it. noise is one of the joys of driving and the Zeds V6 has a great sound with some minor modifications.

It will be fun but i woud consider this: I have reduced a set of standard brake pads to smoke and often find the limits to the Zeds chassis set up on fast road driving so i would get that sorted before tracking it as it's bound to be even more punishing on these components in particular. especially if you're putting 888s on