WHY?!

Adrian@TORQEN

the traditions of some cultures include things like the slaughter of dolphins to get hold of the meat, flesh, oils and whatever else will allow them to make it through the environment they live in, especially in winter time. Those traditional practices are usually done in balance with nature, only taking what they need. Modern times mean people get greedy though, and sad sights like this happen. Sad times indeed.

the traditions of some cultures include things like the slaughter of dolphins to get hold of the meat, flesh, oils and whatever else will allow them to make it through the environment they live in, especially in winter time. Those traditional practices are usually done in balance with nature, only taking what they need. Modern times mean people get greedy though, and sad sights like this happen. Sad times indeed.

Agreed, calling them all murderers isn't helpful, it's not like they just started doing it last week because it sounded like fun. If you look at where the Faroe Islands are, you'll understand that whales and dolphins WERE a necessary part of their life, but as Husky says, as times change and populations grow these practices escalate along with the population even though there is no longer any requirement for them. I think the Danish government needs to slap a reality check on the Faroe Islands.

DB

Agreed, calling them all murderers isn't helpful, it's not like they just started doing it last week because it sounded like fun. If you look at where the Faroe Islands are, you'll understand that whales and dolphins WERE a necessary part of their life, but as Husky says, as times change and populations grow these practices escalate along with the population even though there is no longer any requirement for them. I think the Danish government needs to slap a reality check on the Faroe Islands.

DB

They are acting like murderers. I'm not about to knife up a whale or a dolphin, it's sick. It might have once been done out of necessity but it isn't now, it's done for a laugh, a bit of a sick laugh. I'm surprised Brussels haven't stopped them, instead they preside over pointless rubbish.

DB

They are acting like murderers. I'm not about to knife up a whale or a dolphin, it's sick. It might have once been done out of necessity but it isn't now, it's done for a laugh, a bit of a sick laugh. I'm surprised Brussels haven't stopped them, instead they preside over pointless rubbish.

Whilst I couldn't agree with you more on the Brussels statement, you have no proof whatsoever that this was done for 'a sick laugh'. You're making assumptions based on a source which has a vested interest in casting the worst possible light on this activity. I'll repeat here that I'm not approving of this at all, and nor am I about to 'knife up a whale', but it's all very well us getting high and mighty on principle when our society until very recently found it acceptable to watch foxes get torn to bits by a pack of dogs; an activity with very similar historic basis. It needs to stop, no question. But labelling people as murderers for enacting a tradition which has formed part of their culture for centuries is over-simplification.

DB

Not done for a laugh, done for money. It's a huge and valuable source of income for the community from what they consider to be a natural resource. To them this is no different from slaughtering pigs or cows and we slaughter them in a big way over here.

However, due to research carried out in recent times we know that dolphins and whales are on a different level from other animals and more on a par with our own levels of intelligence. These people are not necessarily cold blooded murders, they are just ill informed about the reality of what they are doing.

I'm not defending them, I agree the situation is horrific. But if I came along tomorrow and gave you a life sentence for eating a beef burger would that be fair? You don't think a cow matters...

Not done for a laugh, done for money. It's a huge and valuable source of income for the community from what they consider to be a natural resource. To them this is no different from slaughtering pigs or cows and we slaughter them in a big way over here.

However, due to research carried out in recent times we know that dolphins and whales are on a different level from other animals and more on a par with our own levels of intelligence. These people are not necessarily cold blooded murders, they are just ill informed about the reality of what they are doing.

I'm not defending them, I agree the situation is horrific. But if I came along tomorrow and gave you a life sentence for eating a beef burger would that be fair? You don't think a cow matters...

But the cattle we are used to, are killed in a more humane way with guide lines from the EU against animal cruelty, where is that applying here? Frankly, I think we can judge these "People" as others would judge us if we let our teens take a machete to a cow in a field! On the subject of tradition, we were stopped from fox hunting, and the fox had at least some odds of survival, and how appalling bull fighting is in Spain (that should be stopped too BTW)

I don’t want to come over as a massive bleeding heart, and I am not a vegetarian, but there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and in the case the Danish Government are remiss.

So when you are watching people catching fish, do you stand up and scream "MURDERERS!" at the screen? As others have said, its not just a free for all killing session, its part of their history and culture and a big part of their income. They arent Dolphins either, they are pilot whales.

Cows are farmed to be killed, and even then the killing bit is not exactly pretty .......... if this was anything that didnt have a cute face then I dont think there would be half as many people up in arms over it. These arent an endangered species AFAIK, its not far removed from a gamekeeper shooting rabbits or deer to keep numbers down, except in this case peoples livelihoods depend on it.

The IWC allow it, if it was *that* bad then surely they wouldnt? :shrug:

Who knows, the people of the Faroes are probably disgusted by the njumber of rabbits, badger, foxes, hedgehogs and cats that we run over every year ..........

Look at what fishermen do, catching fish and letting them go again. By all standards that is torture, and it's called sport!

I'm agreeing the killing of these creatures should be controlled as they are deemed to be some of the highest in intelligence on our planet. But it takes time to change ways of living that were developed over thousands of years. Calling people murderers and wanting them treated as such is unfair when it is an integral part of their lives. things need to change, yes. people need educated, yes. people need arrested, no.