Good learning remote with macros

Stew

Just wondering if anybody could recommend a good learning remote to control my TV, Amp, DVD and DAB. More compatability would be better to future proof it for me a little.

I'm liking the look of a phillips pronto RU950 but I'm open to suggestions. It must have Macros as I'm sick of tripping over remotes and want to 'one touch' everything!

Any ideas? :wacko:

I have the 950, is the best remote I have had so far.... Never really used the wireless function as already have a powermid to control the NTL box downstairs.

If you download the configuration software you can emulate its functions to see if the remote can do the functions you want...

You can even steal my CCF if you want, it has most NTL channel logos in it....

Yep, download the pronto edit NG software from www.remotecentral.com

You can configure your remote while you are waiting for it to arrive then download it into the remote....

Let me know if you want my configuration file.

It has most Channel logos, PC control, TV control. I still have the old file somewhere with DVD and VCR controls in it... all you would need to do is upload your devices infra-red codes....

I've got the Logitech Harmony 895 which is not bad.

Connect it up via USB to your PC, start the software (need to be online), type in the model no's of all your equipment and all remote functions will be downloaded to it from the internet site. It will learn if they haven't got whatever you're trying to control listed, but I haven't needed that yet because everything's (pretty much anything that has a remote) been there. Even the stranger stuff like light control!

Its got a wireless option but although the 'gadget freak' part of me thought it was something I had to have, I haven't actually bothered (or needed to) using it yet.

Oh yeah, one last thing... although it is great having one remote to control everything in the house, the damn thing is never in the room where you need it!!! :wacko:

Ok, I just took the plunge and ordered this one

http://www.homecontrol.philips.com/index.cfm?id=829

It's total overkill and I bet I use less than 10% of the features but I just thought I'd future proof myself a little and get a beast.

I used to play around with the ipronto my mate had in his stereo shop and it was wicked so if this is quarter as good then it's worth it!

Thats like the Ipronto. It's an awesome piece of kit. My mate told me that he priced one the same as I've bought but programmed to control everything in the house including his heating! It'll be good once I can work the damn thing, and once it's delivered!

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update any interested parties.

Got the remote and programmed it myself for all the remote controlled devices in the house. Set up Macros and got the TV guide auto download set up. This all took around 3 hours. This piece of kit is SO easy to use and also looks the mutts nuts!

Great piece of kit and very reasonably priced too. :yahoo::teeth:

Just thought I'd update any interested parties.

Got the remote and programmed it myself for all the remote controlled devices in the house. Set up Macros and got the TV guide auto download set up. This all took around 3 hours. This piece of kit is SO easy to use and also looks the mutts nuts!

Great piece of kit and very reasonably priced too. :yahoo::teeth:

:worthless: