* Gamers * new Sony 3D multi tv

Michael robinson

Sony are planning on releasing this bad boy - http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/gad ... layer-mode

This now means no more split screen playing and in theory if you want to watch moto gp and you lass wants to watch Corrination street you's could watch it on the Same tv as it would work on the same principal

Only thing would be splitting the sound :wacko: probably end up with ear phones attached to the glasses that would pick up your require channel for sound and vision (not sure on that one)

What you's think ?? Will it take off and be the next major step in tv usage ??

3D still isn't the next major step in TV usage, so I foresee this falling happily on it's arse.

Most people who buy TVs don't buy them for gaming, so this is already aiming at an incredibly niche market (mainly blokes who share a flat with another guy, I reckon) and it's just not going to sell in decent numbers to make it worthwhile. Instead of pissing about with this, why don't they spend the money making 3DTV without the use of any glasses on a domestic set sensibly priced? That's surely the holy grail right now.

Thats slightly OTT Dan ;) Its high level innovation that creates wider spread technological advancement. How did we get to flat screen LCD TVs for £300 today? Because somebody made a flatter screen plasma/projector one about ten years ago that cost £10k that was also deemed niche :thumbs:

I think the direction there trying to take is quite huge to get two images playing on a single tv is a major step forward , Just think what could come from this and what steps are after this .

Sorry but that's not true mate. The Active Shutter method of 3D reproduction (which is the one that sony use, the other being polarisation like you get in the cinema) just alternately shows frames of left and right eye, whilst the glasses only allow the appropriate image to be seen by the correct eye. this happens so fast that your brain can't tell what's hapening but you're actualy only ever seeing with one eye at a time. All you have to do to create this dual image effect is switch two pairs of glasses totally 'on' and totally 'off' in opposition, so that each person only sees the picture they should. It's more an interesting new approach than a revolutionary leap forward.

DB

Thats slightly OTT Dan ;) Its high level innovation that creates wider spread technological advancement. How did we get to flat screen LCD TVs for £300 today? Because somebody made a flatter screen plasma/projector one about ten years ago that cost £10k that was also deemed niche :thumbs:

But that's directly comparable. What use is spending millions in R&D for split screens when nobody wants it, and what we really want is affordable 3D without the use of silly glasses?

But that's directly comparable. What use is spending millions in R&D for split screens when nobody wants it, and what we really want is affordable 3D without the use of silly glasses?

You don't want it, someone else will want it, another category of development altogether may and probably will make massive use of it. You will find that lots of consumer niche technology can easily transfer itself to wide spread industry technology.

I seem to remember a friend telling me about this in his RR sport, his headunit would show the driver sat nav and the passenger dvd/tv etc. without glasses... i didnt get a demo mind when looking around

In fact yep, here's an article about it:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/Rang ... ouchscreen

That's a slightly different thing, works on sending two images out at different angles, so perfect for a car where you can predict roughly where people are sitting. not sure it would work so well for a living room unless you could adjust the viewing angles to suit your particular seating setup.

DB

I seem to remember a friend telling me about this in his RR sport, his headunit would show the driver sat nav and the passenger dvd/tv etc. without glasses... i didnt get a demo mind when looking around

In fact yep, here's an article about it:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/Rang ... ouchscreen

That's a slightly different thing, works on sending two images out at different angles, so perfect for a car where you can predict roughly where people are sitting. not sure it would work so well for a living room unless you could adjust the viewing angles to suit your particular seating setup.

DB

Agreed, pretty impressive still. But you can pretty much predict where the two teenage gamers are going to be sat that the Sony product is aimed at.... :lol: