manual conversion? worth it? how big a job?

cjquicksilver

yes convert the auto to a manual, ive seen the conversion done on silvias, supras etc and its not a massive job on them, just wondering if its a common conversion on z?

In a word, no!

Why not just PX it, would be miles cheaper.

No idea of the work involved to be honest so can't comment on how difficult or expensive it'd be. Electronics wise I have no idea but parts wise it wouldn't be too big a ball ache with traders like Alex able to supply parts.

Perhaps Abbey or Horsham etc could comment on parts, labour and all the hidden costs involved so you can get a good picture before weighing up the options.

• 1 month later...

When I had my speed limiter removed in Tokyo, one side effect of the new control unit was that it made my auto's changes a lot more aggressive. Nothing uncomfortable, although it does sometimes get confused and lurch a bit at low speed when speeding up and slowing down repeatedly.

Before that I used to have it in "manual" selection all the time and was disappointed with the speed of the changes. Luckily the 3.5L V6 has a lot of low down grunt. Now it's transformed and I just leave it in drive.

That might help! I must say, I never regretted having an auto in central Tokyo traffic and it's not so different in London either. If you're interested, I can try to work out which brand/model I had fitted.

cheers

Ian