Alarm keeps going off!!

Storm White

If you think its the tilt sensor, then press the button behind the passenger seat before locking it as normal. This will disable the tilt and ultrasonic sensors. If it still goes off its not either of them, if it doent go off then it will be one of them (hopefully!) :thumbs:

Thanks Chris, will give that a try..

How soon after you've left the car does the alarm sound?

It varies. Usually quite a long time, and very randomly.

Last week it did it twice in one night, then there was nothing for a few days. It's odd that it's only at home.

I've got it booked in for next Tues, and I'll get the boot catch sorted as well. I also want them to activate the anti-intruder function, because they didn't/couldn't do it last time I asked.

If it is going off when it is windy and you say it is parked on a slope then I would also suspect its the tilt sensor - only needing just a small movement for it to activate.

I was surprised it happened to me when the car was on a ferry crossing to Skye recently - sea was quite calm but the alarm was set off - 'cos I hadn't de-activated it. :blush: Not as though the car was likely to be hijacked mid-channel off a ferry :lol::doh:

So when you go to the dealer you ought to make your parking situation at home clear as otherwise I'm sure they will say their usual checks, on level ground, have not revealed any fault.

Easy remedy. Level your drive :teeth:

I was surprised it happened to me when the car was on a ferry crossing to Skye recently - sea was quite calm but the alarm was set off - 'cos I hadn't de-activated it. :blush: Not as though the car was likely to be hijacked mid-channel off a ferry :lol::doh:

To be fair, the car doesnt exactly know its on a ferry does it :lol: Thats what the deactivation button is for :p

Movement on a slope could be good call though, I wouldnt imagine Nissan are nice enough to have a self levelling tilt sensor, so it probably is even more sensative on a slope.

+1

To be fair, the car doesnt exactly know its on a ferry does it :lol: Thats what the deactivation button is for :p

Movement on a slope could be good call though, I wouldnt imagine Nissan are nice enough to have a self levelling tilt sensor, so it probably is even more sensative on a slope.

I think I've figured out why it's doing it. I think it's because sometimes I don't put the handbrake on tightly enough, and it moves just a tiny bit, setting off the alarm.

That explains why it doesn't do it on level ground.

I'm still going to take it into Nissan to double-check though, and I might as well get the sticky boot lid fixed and get them to activate the anti-intruder thing.

Put it in gear so it stops agains the gearbox, then put the handbrake on and see if that solves it? :shrug:

Have you tried disabling the tilt/ultrasonics yet?

Yeah I could try leaving it in gear. Nope, not tried disabling the ultrasonics yet. It's going to the dealers on Tues so I'll leave them to work it out I think!

The thing is, it goes for days without doing it...then suddenly it went off twice last night. 4am wake up, awesome :rant:

Do you live near one of these? :lol:

Ha, no! :lol:

Is happening when the air is still, or at least no appreciable wind blowing?

It's never been especially windy. What's even stranger is that last week there was TORRENTIAL rain one night, the hardest rain I've seen in ages. It woke us up, and it set a couple of car alarms off down the street....but not mine :blink:

Put it in gear so it stops agains the gearbox, then put the handbrake on and see if that solves it? :shrug:

Have you tried disabling the tilt/ultrasonics yet?

Yeah I could try leaving it in gear. Nope, not tried disabling the ultrasonics yet. It's going to the dealers on Tues so I'll leave them to work it out I think!

The thing is, it goes for days without doing it...then suddenly it went off twice last night. 4am wake up, awesome :rant:

Do you live near one of these? :lol:

Ha, no! :lol:

Is happening when the air is still, or at least no appreciable wind blowing?

It's never been especially windy. What's even stranger is that last week there was TORRENTIAL rain one night, the hardest rain I've seen in ages. It woke us up, and it set a couple of car alarms off down the street....but not mine :blink:

At least it's your car waking you up. Imagine what the neighbours must think ;)

Not helping I know... :#1:

Well it's been at the dealers for two days now, and they still don't know what's wrong! Initially they couldn't get their diagnostic computer to connect to my car, when they finally did, it reported no faults.

They've told me that they're now leaving it on a sloping ramp to see if the alarm goes off.

In the meantime, I'm driving round in a Qashqai B)

On the bright side, they've fixed the sticky bootlid.

Update. They still have no idea why it's going off, but they seem to think that fixing the bootlid has sorted the problem.

I'm not so sure, because if the bootlid was the problem, why does the alarm only go off when it's parked on my drive?

I'm picking it up tomorrow, so we shall see.

To be honest, if it does go off again I'll sell it. I can't be arsed with a car that has to keep going to the dealers, I had enough of that with Renaults.

Fingers crossed!

Have you actually tried this ?

If you think its the tilt sensor, then press the button behind the passenger seat before locking it as normal. This will disable the tilt and ultrasonic sensors. If it still goes off its not either of them, if it doent go off then it will be one of them (hopefully!) :thumbs:

If you haven't and it goes off again, I would urge you to give that a try. (page 3-15 of your handbook) But remember to turn it back on when you are not in the location where the problem occurs, otherwise your car could be moved or lifted without setting off the alarm off. But breaking into the car will set the alarm off and the 'key' would be required to start it so at home it should still be pretty safe ;)