Infiniti G35 Coupe vs 350z

brillomaster

Hi All,

I'll be honest, I'm up to 50 posts now and i dont actually have a 350z - my plan was to drive my civic coupe over winter while i save up, then buy a zed to replace my old 300zx in march of next year.

However, im becoming tempted by an Infiniti G35 Coupe, as they seem to go for less than 350zs do with similar mileage, and the extra seats would be useful. Plus i like rarity - would be very unlikely ever to see another one as they're all imports.

Now, i know they're both built on the same platform, and share the same engine, and both have 6spd manual gearboxes with rwd....

and the differences i can think of is the G35 is some 300mm longer and 90kg heavier, and has smaller wheels as standard, but is there anything else i should be aware of? i only say as something like this looks mighty tempting for the cash...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3222970.htm

Has anyone driven both to compare? Can anyone think of anything i'm missing here?

i considered the same, although they are nice, there not a zed, i always wanted a zed and if i got the g35, i think i would of been dissapointed, im sure there an awesome car but the zed is better looking, i would spend the extra cash and get a zed.

Hi All,

I'll be honest, I'm up to 50 posts now and i dont actually have a 350z - my plan was to drive my civic coupe over winter while i save up, then buy a zed to replace my old 300zx in march of next year.

However, im becoming tempted by an Infiniti G35 Coupe, as they seem to go for less than 350zs do with similar mileage, and the extra seats would be useful. Plus i like rarity - would be very unlikely ever to see another one as they're all imports.

Now, i know they're both built on the same platform, and share the same engine, and both have 6spd manual gearboxes with rwd....

and the differences i can think of is the G35 is some 300mm longer and 90kg heavier, and has smaller wheels as standard, but is there anything else i should be aware of? i only say as something like this looks mighty tempting for the cash...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3222970.htm

Has anyone driven both to compare? Can anyone think of anything i'm missing here?

To be honest, I've been thinking along the same lines as you. I bought a Zed 14 months ago thinking 2 seats were fine as there was only ever me and my wife. But since then, there seems to have been a litany of trips when we had other people to carry or had to go to Brussels or the north of England and had to take the KA :bang: I tried to talk her into swapping the KA for a nice Peugeot 406 coupe I spotted once, but no luck.

I'm reluctant to put the Zed on the market though because mechanically it's in perfect condition and bodywise it only has a couple of pin dents in the doors and a very few stone chips on the front. And although, on paper the Skyline might be better for me, it could also be someone else's piece of junk so for the time being....

But if I was definitely going to sell, I would go for a Skyline 350GT :thumbs:

spose i should have said it would be a V35 Skyline, not a G35... im not old enough for an auto just yet!

I spose the V35 is more of a spiritual successor to the 300zx, they were both ore heavyweight 2+2 luxury cruisers rather than sports cars. And it was plenty quick enough even with the extra bulk, 0-60 in less than 6 seconds is fine!

Quite a difference between that and a Z. There's a long lineage with the Z, so I guess in our minds it makes it a bit special. We have this fabulous community, and it's not just in one country, strong community globally, so if something is needed or you have questions, we'll know the answer.

If you feel like going for a blast, will it be the same in an Infiniti?

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend going and driving one TBH. If its anything like the G37 then its in no way a sports car. Depending on what you want that could be exactly what you are looking for, but comparing the G37s to the 370z (which both share the same platform as the 350z/G35), the G felt sluggish and a bit barge like in comparison to the Z. More luxurious though and maybe just what you're after, but dont assume by driving a Z you will get an impression of what the G feels like ;)

I would recommend going and driving one TBH. If its anything like the G37 then its in no way a sports car. Depending on what you want that could be exactly what you are looking for, but comparing the G37s to the 370z (which both share the same platform as the 350z/G35), the G felt sluggish and a bit barge like in comparison to the Z. More luxurious though and maybe just what you're after, but dont assume by driving a Z you will get an impression of what the G feels like ;)

I retract my statement then.

As much as I love my Zed I may well look at a V/G35 in the coming year as having 2 rear seats may actually be useful for putting a baby seat in.. and also for emergency passengers or trips abroad

I don't really consider the 350Z a sports car as its a bit heavy in my opinion (its more a GT car in my eyes) so I don't think a V/G35 would disappoint . would definitely be interesting to drive one though to compare.

Would t be really be that different to drive? it'd just be the difference between the SWB and LWB ZXs of old, one was 200mm shorter, 100kgs lighter and no rear seats, which would be the 350z, and the other longer, heavier version the G35.

Any chance of someone photoshopgrafting a 350z front onto a g35 body? and calling it the 350ZX?