Polishing OEM Exhaust

nij1983

Hi all,

I'm looking to polish up my exhaust tips. When I bought the car they were covered in black soot. I've tried cleaning them whilst washing the car but no luck.

Ideally, I'd like them to have a nice stainless steel type finish.

Does anyone have any tips/pointers or recommend any products I could use?

Cheers

elbow grease ;)

this is how the exhaust started its life, bought off of lee, a UK with damage and not cared for.

100115_154312.jpg

100108_145708.jpg

100115_154252.jpg

then i set about polishing it, ive listed the grades used.

rough

dfgdfgdfgdfg-1.jpg

medium

dsfgvdsfgv.jpg

100110_170339.jpg

100110_172814.jpg

100110_173838.jpg

100110_175950.jpg

100110_192645.jpg

megs metal polish

100113_004512.jpg

100113_004531.jpg

then for fitting it took bloody ages :lol: the original bolts rounded off and needed ground off. one of the studs broke free from its weld :headhurt: the hangers were all wrong and all needed re aligned. getting the exhaust on and off the hangers was a pain in the arse anyway. :lol: all in i think it went back off and on about 10 times :blink::blink:

P1020743.jpg

P1020749.jpg

heres a bundle of pictures with it fitted :)

P1020772.jpg

P1020775.jpg

P1020765.jpg

P1020761.jpg

P1020768.jpg

P1020770.jpg

thats your lot :thumbs:

Dont be knocked down if you dont get a good finish on the first go either. It takes a few passes to get them shining nice. I found with mine, rather than try and get them as shiney as possible in one marathon go, its easier on the hands and forearms to give them a polish every time you wash until they come up nice and shiney. You'll get there in the end.

Oh and Megs NXT (NTX?) polish is better than Autosol at keeping the finish tip top as it contains sealants which means only a wash will be needed in future. Autosol has a better cut to it to get them shiney in the first place though. Fine grade wire wool is also a good help to shift the initial crap.

I found that contractor's solvent is pretty good for getting off the soot and tar as I was having a bit of a mare getting mine clean at first. Brasso was also good at removing the crud.

I then finished with Meguiars NXT metal polish to give them a nice shine. As said before the Megs NXT does seem to stop the dirt sticking and you can get the pipes quite shiny by just washing them normally after a couple of applications of the Megs polish.

Do you want to come and clean my exhaust John B):lol:

Think i'll pass :p

Would have been tempted while silencer was off to spray with heat resistant black paint,surprising how much better it would have looked as you do do see quite a huge chunk of the silencer from behind. :bangin:

like so

DSC02838copy.jpg