WARNING TO ALL 350Z OWNERS

kevgreen16

HI TO ALL, on my trip to europe 10 weeks ago i noticed a top end power loss in my z ie it struggled to do top speed, so i took it to my local nissan dealer who said they can not test the car for this and offered no solution from nissan uk, so since then i have had lots of calls to them all at my expence cos no one including the two managers there ring back when they say there going to, to cut a long story short my car is only 2 an half year old buy they are not able or willing to test or sort out my problem, and i now have this in writing in an email, any suggestions on what to do next ?? this has made me think twice about buying another one and i have booked test drives in other cars

Well Nissan couldn't replicate the fault on the road. How did it struggle to get to top speed? Did it not hit the limiter at 155mph or di it hit the limiter at a lower speed?

I haven't driven my car to the limiter, I had it pull hard to an indicated speed lower than the limiter (not much) but I had to back off due to a mix of fear and a bend coming up!

Nissan customer service are terrible and to be honest I wouldn't fuss about buying another one with a warranty but I won't let some W@nker suits put me off my car. Would any other manufacturer be any better though?

How near the top end? My Cupra used to fly to 120ish then struggle to get much more after that (top speed was 142 apparantly) Every car ive driven has been the same. Only got 130 out of the Zed so far :blush:

**The above speeds were recorded on a test track**

How often are you going to need to use the top speed? its not something that is important really, its more for bragging rights down the pub.

Guest prescience

Even N/A I had no trouble at all getting to 145 (on a test track!) and then backed off. It should make top-end with no real problems as its pushing 280BHp out

Guest prescience
Even N/A I had no trouble at all getting to 145 (on a test track!) and then backed off. It should make top-end with no real problems as its pushing 280BHp out

I've reflected that the above does not move you forward any does it! You are going to find it difficult, even if they test drive it, to prove to a dealer's satisfaction that it is losing top end power - they probably drive Micras all day long after all.

What I would do, is get some more evidence. Book a 1/2 hour dyno session (where are TDI North in relation to you?), that will cost about £50-£60 and get them to measure rear wheel HP (and also air-fuel ratio). You shouls be running about 230 rwhp peak and anything less than say 220 would indicate a problem (and a measurable problem).

[Add about 17% to rwhp to get flywheel hp to compare to the 276-280 figure]

Well Nissan couldn't replicate the fault on the road. How did it struggle to get to top speed? Did it not hit the limiter at 155mph or di it hit the limiter at a lower speed?

I haven't driven my car to the limiter, I had it pull hard to an indicated speed lower than the limiter (not much) but I had to back off due to a mix of fear and a bend coming up!

Nissan customer service are terrible and to be honest I wouldn't fuss about buying another one with a warranty but I won't let some W@nker suits put me off my car. Would any other manufacturer be any better though?

well it seems to struggle from 130 onwards and wont go any faster than 150 not the limiter thou it just runs out of steam, its just annoying when nissan sell a £26,000 (for basic) car in britain but if any one has a top end power problem they havent even got facilities to check the car never mind fixing it, they just dont care once they have sold the car. dont know if it will put me off thou cos i do love the car, but am gonna look around now before i decide,

How near the top end? My Cupra used to fly to 120ish then struggle to get much more after that (top speed was 142 apparantly) Every car ive driven has been the same. Only got 130 out of the Zed so far :blush:

**The above speeds were recorded on a test track**

How often are you going to need to use the top speed? its not something that is important really, its more for bragging rights down the pub.

weather or not i ever use the speed is not the point, they just shouldent be allowed to get away with this, the car is supposed to be limmited to 155 and nissan themselves said it should not be struggling after 130, well i got a bee in my bonnet now, so i will take it further- trading standards ect

Yes , I think we need more info :) what do you call "top speed" ?

the car goes up to 130 with no problem at all then it struggles on up to 150 and wont go any faster, yes i know that is still fast but it is limmited to 155 and nissan admit it should not be too sluggish and should do 155 great car thou.

the car goes up to 130 with no problem at all then it struggles on up to 150 and wont go any faster, yes i know that is still fast but it is limmited to 155 and nissan admit it should not be too sluggish and should do 155 great car thou.

is the car all standard (exhaust , inlet etc. ) ?

I've reflected that the above does not move you forward any does it! You are going to find it difficult, even if they test drive it, to prove to a dealer's satisfaction that it is losing top end power - they probably drive Micras all day long after all.

What I would do, is get some more evidence. Book a 1/2 hour dyno session (where are TDI North in relation to you?), that will cost about £50-£60 and get them to measure rear wheel HP (and also air-fuel ratio). You shouls be running about 230 rwhp peak and anything less than say 220 would indicate a problem (and a measurable problem).

thanks for that but could you give me any more info on this tdi north , thanks kev

[Add about 17% to rwhp to get flywheel hp to compare to the 276-280 figure]

btw, 280hp on paper for the Z means 260 real engine hp (nearly all N/A engines are overrated on paper, except for Porsche and i guess some other "high-end" brands). My 300hp Z gave 275 real hp (and thats not wheel hp, but crank hp) when put on a dyno. The other Z's they tested (2003-2005) gave around 260 hp. I had my car to 260 km/h on the speedo once (and not very long :p ). That should be the equivalent of 162mph on your speedo, and i guess i was like 1-2km/h short of hitting the limiter. Dunno with a 2003-2005 model, but with my 2006 car i can get to 156mph in 5th gear just at the beginning of the redline (7k rpm)

Guest prescience

thanks for that but could you give me any more info on this tdi north , thanks kev

Their main contact details are here

http://www.tdi-plc.com/contacting%20TDi.html

but pretty sure they have a place up North.

Valerio (theminel) I think has details - they do have a dyno Val? Or contact member tdi on here by PM. There will be other rolling roads near you if thtis doesn't work out.

Despite any speedo error (10% is way too high IMO Liam) if you really are struggling at 130, you have a problem.

One thing I would ask though is, are you someone who say hits their rev limiter (in any gear) several times a day or once or twice a month by mistake. Some people 'baby' their cars by running under say 5k rpm all the time and the thing never really gets run in, then when they want to open it up, so to speak, it can be sluggish. Just a thought

is the car all standard (exhaust , inlet etc. ) ?

yes it is all standard

Valerio (theminel) I think has details - they do have a dyno Val? Or contact member tdi on here by PM. There will be other rolling roads near you if thtis doesn't work out.

Despite any speedo error (10% is way too high IMO Liam) if you really are struggling at 130, you have a problem.

One thing I would ask though is, are you someone who say hits their rev limiter (in any gear) several times a day or once or twice a month by mistake. Some people 'baby' their cars by running under say 5k rpm all the time and the thing never really gets run in, then when they want to open it up, so to speak, it can be sluggish. Just a thought

i hit the red line virtually every time i am in it i love the sound and speed

btw, 280hp on paper for the Z means 260 real engine hp (nearly all N/A engines are overrated on paper, except for Porsche and i guess some other "high-end" brands). My 300hp Z gave 275 real hp (and thats not wheel hp, but crank hp) when put on a dyno.

to accurately meausre crank hp you'd need an engine dyno, not a common dyno that you've used. Crank hp is always calculated and is just connected to too many variables/settings on normal dynos to be reliable. Hence all that should be quoted is whp, and again hope that the dyno settings are correct in the first place.

They are in Warrington and they do have a dyno iirc.

address is

Tdi North Ltd.

22 Aston Court

Kingsland Grange Woolston

Warrington

Cheshire

WA1 4SG

Tel: +44 (0)1925 289100

btw, 280hp on paper for the Z means 260 real engine hp (nearly all N/A engines are overrated on paper, except for Porsche and i guess some other "high-end" brands). My 300hp Z gave 275 real hp (and thats not wheel hp, but crank hp) when put on a dyno.

to accurately meausre crank hp you'd need an engine dyno, not a common dyno that you've used. Crank hp is always calculated and is just connected to too many variables/settings on normal dynos to be reliable. Hence all that should be quoted is whp, and again hope that the dyno settings are correct in the first place.

its calculated by measuring transmission losses on the dyno, its not as if they just apply some magical formula to it. If other cars using that same dyno get to their given hp (e.g. the TDI engines from the VW group) and others dont (e.g. the Z, or the RX-8 which apparently is a complete disaster on that level, or the S2000) there are some conclusions to be drawn ;)

But i agree, the most accurate method is by using an engine dyno.

I've had mine to 150 (not in this country) indicated on the trip computer (have checked its accuracy with GPS and its only 2mph out) more than once and there was absolutely no problem getting to that speed, tbh I didn't notice much difference in how she was pulling either. Still felt like there was plenty to go but backed off cos of approaching traffic.

On a straight road, not going up a huge hill & without a shedload of wind against you theres no way it should be struggling to get over 130 mate sounds like you've got a problem to me.

Btw mines a 54plate, UK car, totally standard.

btw, 280hp on paper for the Z means 260 real engine hp (nearly all N/A engines are overrated on paper, except for Porsche and i guess some other "high-end" brands). My 300hp Z gave 275 real hp (and thats not wheel hp, but crank hp) when put on a dyno. The other Z's they tested (2003-2005) gave around 260 hp. I had my car to 260 km/h on the speedo once (and not very long :p ). That should be the equivalent of 162mph on your speedo, and i guess i was like 1-2km/h short of hitting the limiter. Dunno with a 2003-2005 model, but with my 2006 car i can get to 156mph in 5th gear just at the beginning of the redline (7k rpm)

not read any replies since this but was your engine on a rolling road or did you take the engine out and use it on a proper dynometer? IF not then any crank figure is pure guess work.

Read this thread for a full saga of what the customer expects and what he gets, then the retest with proper IT/AT settings. Crank figure is pure fabrication based on assumptions.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... 54#4437199

ah should have read further down the page.

BTW anyone going to apply to the Pistonheads RR day? Its on the 13th of Jan, contact via this thread http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/to ... 2&f=23&h=0