UK's longest under-land road tunnel

Adrian@TORQEN

This smacks of residents exaggerating the speeds because the cars are so loud. Its not the kind of place people will be going to drive like nutters, but will be going to hear the noise in a tunnel. A sports car doing 50 in a tunnel will sound like its going much faster.

If the police didn't treat the motorists as a massive cash cow and targets generator, then motorists wouldnt have to treat places like this as some sort of mecca before they got shut down.

They'll just whack average speed cameras at 100m intervals then people cant speed down there. ATM I'm guessing they have them on entry and exit, so people drive in and stop, wait for a bit, then gun it.

I'm with Chris though, its probably a lot more to do with the noise than the actual speed. I'll eat my words though when a footballer inevitably stacks it :lol:

They'll just whack average speed cameras at 100m intervals then people cant speed down there. ATM I'm guessing they have them on entry and exit, so people drive in and stop, wait for a bit, then gun it.

I'm with Chris though, its probably a lot more to do with the noise than the actual speed. I'll eat my words though when a footballer inevitably stacks it :lol:

+2

If you change lanes after passing the first camera, average speed cameras don't work ;).

If you change lanes after passing the first camera, average speed cameras don't work ;).

Not true I'm afraid - but does work in most cases. I know someone who works very closely to these systems and its down to the license that the people who run them buy. Basic system can be fooled by lane switching, but the more advance features can be bought which will spot it ;)