Rugby World Cup 2011

Jay

Here's a few links to the partying areas on the viaduct as most of these structures have been specifically built for this event, so I thought you might be interested.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=10743793

http://www.eventfinder.co.nz/venue/the- ... ckland-cbd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud,_Auckland

http://www.waterfrontauckland.co.nz/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynyard_Quarter

Great post :thumbs:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's all going a bit crazy over here, especially in Auckland. Not sure why?! :p:p:p:lol::lol: Must be something major happening tomorrow night. :p:lol::yahoo::thumbs:

Forecast is perfect for the fireworks tomorrow night. Hopefully the forecasters got it right this time. :headhurt::lol:

A lot of businesses in Auckland are shutting up early, town, actually the whole city will be madness, many streets in the CBD closed to traffic, pedestrians only. Lots of people organising good viewing points for watching fireworks. Every 5th car or less cruising around with RWC flags attached to theirs cars with applicable countries flags, be whatever they might be supporting.

They're now expecting 100k plus around the Viaduct/CBD to enjoy the festivities tomorrow night.

This is your reporter from Auckland, over and out for the moment. :p:lol::lol: Will have updates as we have them. :p:thumbs:

Well it's all going a bit crazy over here, especially in Auckland. Not sure why?! :p:p:p:lol::lol: Must be something major happening tomorrow night. :p:lol::yahoo::thumbs:

Forecast is perfect for the fireworks tomorrow night. Hopefully the forecasters got it right this time. :headhurt::lol:

A lot of businesses in Auckland are shutting up early, town, actually the whole city will be madness, many streets in the CBD closed to traffic, pedestrians only. Lots of people organising good viewing points for watching fireworks. Every 5th car or less cruising around with RWC flags attached to theirs cars with applicable countries flags, be whatever they might be supporting.

They're now expecting 100k plus around the Viaduct/CBD to enjoy the festivities tomorrow night.

This is your reporter from Auckland, over and out for the moment. :p:lol::lol: Will have updates as we have them. :p:thumbs:

Don't enjoy it too much! Would love to be over there.

I think we collectively hate you right now :lol:. I work shifts so hopefully I can catch most of the games I want to however my shifts are due to change and that could mess things up for me. I'd love to be out there to watch it.

Don't enjoy it too much! Would love to be over there.

I think we collectively hate you right now :lol:.

It's a hard job, but someone has to do it. :p:lol::p:lol::yahoo::thumbs::#1::band::bounce::dance::clap::welcome::sun::innocent::group::bleh::sweat::p

Update, stunning day here, very clear, bar the odd small fluffy white cloud, a mild 20 degrees - warmish, not humid yet(only first week of Spring). Lol, just thinking of all of those that haven't put any sunblock on yet, will be lobsters. :headhurt:

Really good atmosphere, even driving around today in particular. Even more flags on cars, massive flags on people's and business gate posts. B)

Local radio station news updates about the RWC:

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/newsdetail1 ... yID=204325

Waterfront is now packed, so they're asking people to go to other view points to watch the fireworks, which means there must be well over 100k people around the bottom of town, big area too. It's like a sea of people watching it on TV.

When you look at the motorway traffic cams, it's very empty unlike a normal gridlock Friday afternoon/evening.

Will be out there watching the fireworks with snowboarding jacket on, taking photos in the predicted overnight temp of 5 degrees, completely clear night. See the sacrifices I make for the community. :p:lol:

Will be out there watching the fireworks with snowboarding jacket on, taking photos in the predicted overnight temp of 5 degrees, completely clear night. See the sacrifices I make for the community. :p:lol:

Lalalala la la lalalalal :lol:

Have fun mate, looking forward to some photos B)

See the sacrifices I make for the community. :p:lol:

Sacrifices?! You can be out enjoying a beer (and the opener of the rugby world cup) on a friday night while I'm just walking into work on a friday morning having to put up with the live score updates on the internet, I see no sacrifices there :p

See the sacrifices I make for the community. :p:lol:

Sacrifices?! You can be out enjoying a beer (and the opener of the rugby world cup) on a friday night while I'm just walking into work on a friday morning having to put up with the live score updates on the internet, I see no sacrifices there :p

Look, I tell you it was hard work, :p:lol: being part of that atmosphere, thongs of people. :bounce::thumbs::yahoo: They reckon over 200k people around the party zone in town, probably more and where we watched the fireworks from bottom of a main road near the motorway looking across the harbour, maybe 10k people. Cars parked absolutely everywhere. Quite electric atmosphere with that many people in a happy mood, lots of families and groups. People with coloured wigs, glow sticks for the kids, and the fireworks were really cool. 5 barges in the harbour, and off the Skytower http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/Attrac ... tower.html, the Museum, ASB Building, plus a few others. So the whole thing was quite spread out. Gun powder haze behind the fireworks giving them more intensity. B)

My poor little camera really isn't up to taking photos at night time. But one of my mates had his fancy big dslr on the tripod, so I'll post a few of those when he's downloaded them.

Here's a video from our national tv station. The fireworks were must more impressive from 1km across the harbour with the water reflecting all of the fireworks, on glass still water.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/video-s ... 41-4394880

Oh, and the opening match last night was pretty cool. :thumbs:

You mean this morning. :p

Lol, oh no I don't. :p:lol: The joys of being in the Southern Hemisphere and being 12 or 13 hours ahead of you lot depending on what time of the year it is. :p We were partying into the night whilst you were all slaving away. :lol:

Flying out on monday, cannae wait! Will be the only Asian boy with a kilt I reckon, muchos banter!

Oh, down to NZ? Where are you flying into and where are you going?

I am in Crete at the mo and I cant find anywhere that has ITV so I cant watch the blooming rugby until Tuesday when I come home. So whats the arg / eng game been like lads? Itsa very low scoring game whcih surprises me

I am in Crete at the mo and I cant find anywhere that has ITV so I cant watch the blooming rugby until Tuesday when I come home. So whats the arg / eng game been like lads? Itsa very low scoring game whcih surprises me

Not the most convincing win by England mate. ;):p

Just finished watching the Scotland game after carefully avoiding anyone telling me the score. Started brilliantly but as normal they started handling errors aplenty! We were drawing until the last five minutes and my pants were filling but then danielli scored two cracking tries! :yahoo:

Georgia next...

I'm hoping for a good game... as long as Wales actually turn up I could handle a loss at this stage - as long as we don't **** up against Fiji or something as well!

Well assuming we don't **** up the group games against Fiji and Samoa I'm happy with that game, we should keep improving through the world cup with the Southern hemisphere guys hopefully tiring a bit following the tri-nations. Although we now probably have the Ozzies in the quarters... but Eng or Fra in the semis if we get there.

Still frustrating not winning that when we were the better team for so much of the match - there seems to be a reoccurring theme against RSA. :bang:

Was Hook's kick good? :shrug: I thought you were really unlucky not to win that, certainly the better team for long periods of the match :thumbs:

I'm hoping for a good game... as long as Wales actually turn up I could handle a loss at this stage - as long as we don't **** up against Fiji or something as well!

Well assuming we don't **** up the group games against Fiji and Samoa I'm happy with that game, we should keep improving through the world cup with the Southern hemisphere guys hopefully tiring a bit following the tri-nations. Although we now probably have the Ozzies in the quarters... but Eng or Fra in the semis if we get there.

Still frustrating not winning that when we were the better team for so much of the match - there seems to be a reoccurring theme against RSA. :bang:

Was Hook's kick good? :shrug: I thought you were really unlucky not to win that, certainly the better team for long periods of the match :thumbs:

I wouldn't like to call it, even the TMO wouldn't have had a great view - I reckon the best person to call it was the assistant ref under that post, who said no... interesting that Steyn thought it went over from roughly the same position though. You can't really blame Hook or Priestland's kicking for the loss though, I'd prefer to blame Hook for not pushing Steyn in to touch on that first try if I had to blame something, I doubt he would have scored that if Gareth Thomas was still playing full back.

Still, I said before the game that I'd be happy with a loss as long as Wales turned up and showed improvement, which they did, I just hope they keep improving as the tournament progresses. I was interested to see how much ball the forwards were given today, it seemed a bit boring compared to the usual Welsh running play, still if we can play like that up front I'm sure we'll see that used as a base for some nice back play in the next few games - it should be good to watch as long as we don't fall over to Fiji, I bet they're loving the fact we're in their group again. :snack: