Continued spam posts

Hi,

As you are no doubt aware, we are currently experiencing issus of spam registrations, and spam posts (links to adult sites/spam sites etc).

We are working to fix this, indeed to modifications have already been made to the registration page in an attempt to stop this, however the hackers/spammers have programmed the automatic registrations to work around these fixes (well documented fixes will attract well documented workarounds I suppose).

There are several modifications/additions to the forums planned, however stopping these spam registrations is the highest priority right now.

Can I please suggest that if anyone spots one of these posts, instead of replying to it, which will bump it back up the page, simply post a link to the post below - one of the mods/admins will check it out, and delete the offending post and user.

Sorry for the hastle and these constant spammers spoiling the forum, I am working hard to try and fix it for you.

Regards,

Chris.

Can you not have one of those "please type in the displayed number" that a lot of sites have on their websites that bots can not read?
Agree on this, we are just implimenting the same thing, the image authentication graphic works wonders. Also email authentication before a user can log in eliminated this problem sometimes.

Not to sound condescending, but we already implement both of those options.

We have randomly generated code/text image confirmation, and we have always required email confirmation of accounts.

The problem is, the programmers behind these spam registrations have programmed their "bots" to work round these measures. Indeed we have added extra options like "are you human" questions, in which the user must select yes, and we have also made the "website" field invisible on the registrations form (can be filled in by legitimate users after they have completed regsitration).

The field is still there, its just invisible to a human filing in the registration form, and robot trying to fill the form in will not realise it is invisible and try to fill it in, if it does, the registration is unsuccessful. Or at least that's the theory.

As I say, most of the countermeasures have been noted by the programmers and their bots have been given even more complex coding to work round them.

Im currently working on a bespoke solution which will involve bespoke questions and answers, so should have the desired effect - but asits not an "off the shelf" solution, its taking some time.

Guest prescience

In an online account I have, you have to input login/registration data by clicking with a mouse on an on-screen keypad. This is purported to add to security - but am not sure how and it's a recent thing

we have another

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

People should not click on the link as i think they can track where it comes from and then they know that this forum is active.

More like it'll infect your computer with spyware :dry:

Thats too, but i dont dare click on those things, i just hate to think what could happen, i mean, it could turn my car yellow ;)

@Max: Because of :

Can I please suggest that if anyone spots one of these posts, instead of replying to it, which will bump it back up the page, simply post a link to the post below - one of the mods/admins will check it out, and delete the offending post and user.

maybe? :thumbs:

@Max: Because of :

maybe? :thumbs:

Exactly and i was referring to the link in the post :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...