Complete mod novice...simple performance tweaks?

atchi123

Hi all

3 months into 350z ownership and its blown me away so far. Just wondered if there are any very simple performance enhancing tweaks, mods, etc to get up towards the 300bhp mark? (Obviously using Super goes without saying) I have zero modding experience so anything that requires zero/minimal mechanical skill is appreciated!

Steve

yeah, i remember reading about the ECU come to think of it. looks like i'll have to get one of those twin turbo kits then :scare:

The best thing you can do is join the SE-MAFIA! We have a burgioning group down south who can drink, fight and drive! :lol:

Captint is the self-styled Del-Boy-cum-leader, bwahahahHAAHHA!

On a more serious note, we had seven Zs a few weekends a go - join the SE list! :) and welcome

Hello this is Mr Captain Sensible Here...

Why upgarde and increase power? What will you gain? I am guessing and being very presumptious ( i think you spell it like this) , but i think the best performance upgrade you can make is to be able to utilise the current power output of this car...I bet you would not notice an extra 20bhp, and if you did you will not make so much use of it...

UK roads are not that smooth and putting power down is already pretty "interesting"....

There is nothing worse that being thrashed by a good driver in a ford mondeo 2.0 ... (not yet happened to me but no doubt it will...) and extra power will not help you, if anything, it will slow you down, or leave you in a ditch... :thumbdown: , no amount of explanation of how much power you had will make things better....

Spend the money in driver training. There is nothing cooler than seeing a car like this being driven how it should be...and you can tell who's a driver :thumbs: and who's a fighter pilot :thumbdown: ...and I bet you will be able to thrash even these highly tuned boys.... and if you can master this in the wet, even better... not only that, but think that in the future if you wanted, you could be the guy in the ford mondeo thrashing souped up zed's !!!

Driver Training= Safety= Skill= Speed= R E S P E C T...

This public advice notice was brought to you by the "mr. sensible society" :thumbs:

Good call, Zzzz

Unless you are looking for serious power gains (and its gets very expensive very quicky) I would set your self a budget, and then work around that.

Easy wins are

Plenum small power gain, not going to rock your world

Zorst / HF cats - Noise

Intake - Noise

Suspension, coliovers etc, not massive straight line difference, but if you do windy road driving will make a huge performance and speed difference

ECU - Get a piggy back ECU and then you mods will come into play, although I would'nt imagine you'll ever get more than 35 extra bhp

• 3 weeks later...
Very good advice zzz..., thanks. I reckon I will check out the driver training as this is the first 'proper' 200bhp+ performance car I've owned. Nearly stacked it the other day anyhow...:scare:
You sound like me then :thumbs:

Hey you are in reading, get over to the oxford meet this saturday, we can initiate you :teeth:

Hello this is Mr Captain Sensible Here...

Completely agree on this one.

It costs less than most mods (except for the 350z-uk sticker mod :p ), and its a "mod" you can carry with you to other cars. And its heaps of fun (e.g. just check out Sarnie's story of the top gear track day)

Thanks sl114, not going to be able to get to that one but will try and get to one of the meets. Not sure about the 'initiate you' bit though...:headhurt:

Goat sha**ing is the initiation test..... so I've heard! ;)

and looking forward to.................!! :yahoo:

Thanks sl114, not going to be able to get to that one but will try and get to one of the meets. Not sure about the 'initiate you' bit though...:headhurt:

Only 9 more posts till your sticker :thumbs:

who me sarnie.......?

who me sarnie.......?

4 now :thumbs:

Anyway, back on topic! I didn't help keeping it on topic.....

Get a popcharger, it makes an awesome noise. Nothing you do to the engine will make you much quicker unless spending big bucks.

Tyres, suspension and brakes. That'll speed you up on the country roads!