Front Wing Shunted :( - Abz Bodyshop Advice?

Rubber

Just noticed this on my car a while ago :rant:

Must have happened in our residental car park last night or at a shopping centre car park this morning.

SDC19904.jpg

SDC19907.jpg

SDC19908.jpg

SDC19903.jpg

SDC19901.jpg

There is very little evidence of rubbing on the bodywork so I suspect someone may have just reversed into it and given it a bump. There doesn't appear to be any creasing of the wing - it just looks like it has been pushed inwards. Maybe the bodyshop will just "pop" it out?

There are no real marks either except a small scuff on the Zed emblem and a small scratch below ,both which will buff out. Assuming the wing will "pop" back into shape, the only repair will be the paint which has cracked on the upper wing from the stress of bending. I can see the primer beneath the wafer thin paint! Would it be best to respray the whole wing or can you just do the cracked bit?

Very frustrating but I think it is time to put some of the other niggles right in the bodyshop too - respray the front bumper, maybe the bonnet and the doorsills which have picked up a load of scratches from getting in and out.

Another niggle that has been bothering me is a dent in the door line. It happened when I opened the door and the wind caught it and whipped it out of my grasp. The door swung too far open and bent against the hinge giving a small dent :blackeye:

SDC19905.jpg

For some reason I feel relatively calm even though someone just hit my car :wacko:

Chris

Gutted for you mate,

you say there is no creasing of the wing, yet you have posted a pic showing a clear crease (above wheel)

Im not to up to date with current bodywork techniques, so can't offer you any real advice.

Ya there is a crease but it feels smooth to the touch so I think it is the paint that has bubbled up rather than a hard crease in the metal work. Will have a word to Zmanalex in the meantime to see if there is another wing available for a worst case scenario :(

Saw the pictures of the damage to your car - looked horrific. Never saw the final update though - hope she's back to normal :)

Chris

Just been to Kinghorn Bodyshop in Blackburn for an estimate. They reckon it would be easier to get a new front wing. They're emailing me on an estimate. (I also asked for a rough guide for a complete respray of the front bumper and he had a guess at £350 - seems expensive?)

Any other reccommendations for bodyshops in Aberdeen to get a quote?

(And yes I have already :pmzmanalex: for the wing ;))

Ok I got some quotes today. However, I'm surprised at the price variation :scare:

The work that was quoted consists of the following:

1) Replace front wing with new including painting (wing to be supplied by me)

2) Remove tiny dent from door (see pic above)

3) Respray scuffs on door sill (will be coming off anyway to replace wing)

3) Touch up small scuff on rear bumper

Quotes as follows:

1) Kinghorn Body Shop, Blackburn £1150

2) Smart Repairs, Dyce ~£850

3) Paint Technic, West Tullos ~£500 - 600

Huge variation! Kinghorn Bodyshop are out in my mind - too expensive. Both Smart Repairs and Paint Technic seem very nice. Personally I was thinking it would cost about £700. All repairers said that they would blend the respray into the door from the new wing.

Does the Paint Technic job seem very cheap or should I go with them?

Anyone have experience with any of these guys in Aberdeen?

Cheers,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just to close this one out....car is now back to full health :thumbs:

I went with Paint Technic in Tullos. They said the wing was not the best fit but the results are pretty good. They also fixed the small chip in the door which is not visible any more. Paint match is pretty good in my opinion. Cost was £650 to fit the new wing, fix the small chip in the door and respray the new wing and also to respray the side skirt which had some scratches from getting in and out.

All in all I was happy with the service from Paint Technic and they are a nice bunch to deal with. They gave me a small bottle of paint for any future touch ups :) However, I'm not sure if they could have got the bumper to fit tighter to the wing? - See pics.

Car is a bit manky in these pictures but you get the idea.

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

The bumper is not as tight fitting to the wing as it should be though :thumbdown: Anyone have any advice on how to get this tighter?

IMG_0295.jpg

Chris

Chris,

There are two little plastic square fixings that push into the wing mate.

Then two 6mm bolts screw into them.

You will probably find that the plastic fixings are stripped or squashed

PM me your addy and I will get two in the post to you. :thumbs:

Alex.

Might just be me but that looks ok to me, you got a picture of the other side? Your bumper looks like its too far left by like 1 or 2 mm to me? Might just the picture?

No you're right - it's tighter on the other side.

Cheers Alex! PM sent! :thumbs:

Chris