MOT & Service - Need some expert opnions

Kahuna

I could use some help from the friendly people around here :)

My 350z went in for a service and MOT the other day. It passed but I got the feeling they were trying to rip me off so I need some expert opinions.

Even though it passed, they put an advisory on the paperwork - cooling fans inoperable, require fan motors. So now I'm getting worried.

I've taken it in to my local Nissan dealers for the past 2 services and had no problems before, they've been very helpful. But this time it seemed they were just looking for a chance to land me with a huge bill.

If I've left out any info you need, just ask and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance

Geoff

My 350z went in for a service and MOT the other day. It passed but I got the feeling they were trying to rip me off so I need some expert opinions.

Even though it passed, they put an advisory on the paperwork - cooling fans inoperable, require fan motors. So now I'm getting worried.

I've taken it in to my local Nissan dealers for the past 2 services and had no problems before, they've been very helpful. But this time it seemed they were just looking for a chance to land me with a huge bill.

If I've left out any info you need, just ask and I'll fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance

Geoff

With the warm weather at the minute, the fans should kick in pretty soon if you let it sit and idle. You can hear them, pop the bonnet and see.

Geoff

Geoff,

You have Pm mate.

Sounds like you require fan motors and easy to test as per my PM and as per previous post.

You will find them here if required :thumbs:

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=48509

Alex. :)

Was that an advisory on the MOT?

If you had a service at the same time most places would phone you up and tell you of the problems that need fixing. Putting it as an advisory seems wrong - aren't advisories there to warn you that the car is currently MOT clean but potentially could be an MOT failure in the near future. Failed fans is hardly an MOT failure - surely?

If you had a service at the same time most places would phone you up and tell you of the problems that need fixing. Putting it as an advisory seems wrong - aren't advisories there to warn you that the car is currently MOT clean but potentially could be an MOT failure in the near future. Failed fans is hardly an MOT failure - surely?

I agree, I am pretty sure cooling fans are not part of an MOT, so this shouldnt be an advisory, just more like friendly advice. They probably noticed the fans didnt kick in and the temp started going up when they were doing the emmisions test.

Fans are easy to check, leave car idling and keep an eye on the temp gauge and the fans. They should kick in.

They arent cheap to replace mind you!!!!! But a lot cheaper than a blown head gasket as a result of the engine over heating.

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbs:

I left the car running and the fan looked ok, so I'm going to keep an eye on it. I'm still a little paranoid, but I'll see how it is over the next few days.

That's what puzzled me, how a part that important could be an advisory.

From the paperwork they did a 'health check' and the fan was mentioned when they were checking the coolant. But they did put the advisory on the MOT, they didn't call and the first I knew about it was when I went to collect the vehicle.

I agree, I am pretty sure cooling fans are not part of an MOT, so this shouldnt be an advisory, just more like friendly advice. They probably noticed the fans didnt kick in and the temp started going up when they were doing the emmisions test.

Fans are easy to check, leave car idling and keep an eye on the temp gauge and the fans. They should kick in.

They arent cheap to replace mind you!!!!! But a lot cheaper than a blown head gasket as a result of the engine over heating.

I reckon you're right there, they probalby noitced the fans when checking other things.

The last thing I want is damage to my engine :scare:

Cheers for the PM Zmanalex! if I need a replacement fan then I know who to go to :)

If the fans are working, then just make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge in case its an intermitant problem.

With regards to advisorys, dont worry about them, they dont really mean much. I had an "advisory" for about 4 years running on my old car due to a broken wing mirror glass. Also, one year i had an advisory for worn back suspension bushes.... i never bothered changing them and the following year they were apparently fine as they didnt advise me on them.... same garage... same MOT tester!

You'll know very soon if your fan isn't working. Mine failed last year and after only a few minutes in traffic the temperature goes way up.

On the way back from the Lakes in a queue on the M6 after only 5 minutes I was heading for the hard shoulder as the temp was off the scale - lucklily the queue cleared and once over 30 the temperature dropped again.

If the fan does fail, you need to replace it pronto. I looked around trying to get one from a breaker (didn't succeed) and also no luck trying to find non-Nissan one, in the end had to go to the stealer and paid £600 for a new replacement (note - twin fans so 2 motors - the £600 was a complete unit of 2 fans in the surround)

Didn't know about :pmzmanalex: at the time so paid the full Nissan Stealer price - ouch.