Why is my suspension so harsh?

tobys

Help greatly appreciated here please people!

Newish Z owner, still getting used to car - but loving every minute! :teeth:

Thing is: My suspension seems overly harsh, can feel every bit of worn tarmac, seam, etc on motorways and main roads & worse yet as i live in the sticks (Norfolk) going even at legal speeds on country B roads that are uneven makes me feel that the car is almost trying to bounce right off the road! :scare:

04 UK GT, Eiback springs & rear camber kit, stock dampers (as far as i know), has been aligned (full 4-wheel), 18" rays and RE050A DZs all round (correct size & spec). Car's done 30k miles.

Although I'm new to the Z i had a mk4 Golf with H&R springs and highspec VW shocks at about a 35mm drop and it was well softer (but still much firmer than stock) and handled beautifully - could really hammer down B roads round here. Now i kno the Z is a whole different beast, but:

Should i be feeling this??? :dry:

Anyone got any ideas?

springs too hard? Knackered shocks? knackered bushes (do have what sounds like a squeak from driver's rear)? it's been polybushed and i don't know? i'm just being a wuss?

I've read some say on here that oem shocks are a bit hard for uk roads... i can't afford coilies and was thinking about some Tein H-Tech maybe (assuming the springs are my problem). Not too worried about stance - though she does look good with the Eibachs, just comfort mainly, will track occassionally one day, but not serously.

anyone local offer me a ride in their car on oem, eibachs or different aftermarket setup - so i can compare please?

thanks in advance!

Toby

I don't think the standard setup is very harsh, if anything its better at speed. As yours is lowered it might just be a lack of available wheel travel to take care of bumps. Some new dampers appropriate to your ride height might be an idea.

Eibach lowering springs can knock the alignment out pretty good.

I see you have a rear camber kit, but if this hasnt ben set up correctly, you won't be getting the best daming effect from the OEM dampers.

Also, are your dampers in good condition? If they are worn, that could be your problem.

Have you checked the tyre pressure, as the standard setup is quite soft for a sport car.

I run 28 psi in my tyres all round.

28??? A wee bit low. Should be 35 psi +- 2 depending on how hard the tyres sidewalls are.

I have quite a high sidewall. I run 285 35 19 rear and 265 35 19 for the front where as most people use a 30 profile.

So 28 works well. :)

35psi all round and a full geometry check and adjust and you should be sorted providing your front and rear shocks are in reasonable condition and the Eibach springs have been fitted correctly. ;)

If you do require OEM shocks then I have plenty low mileage preowned front and rear in stock :thumbs:

Alex. :)

thanks for all the replies!

i'm running at 35psi all round, have also tried 34 but makes little difference.

car has recently been 4-wheel aligned and they were aware of camber kit so should have adjusted it. have the scans somewhere if this would aid diagnosis... rear in spec, front slightty out (as no front adustabble a arms).

anything i can try myself - other than taking it for another alignment?

any good tests for worn shocks? sry if newbie question!

i guess i was hoping someone local could take me for a spin in their Z so i could feel if it's different...

tbh, i'm now thinking of fitting some BC Racing coilovers - but this is a bit scattergun as will replace shocks & dampers. She does handle nice on smooth roads :thumbs: , just horrible on any rough ones! :thumbdown: