Exhaust - twin pipes - am i being stupid

kevlo

Hi guys and girls, i feel this is a really stupid question but im looking at a new exhaust for the zed.

As far as i understand it there are 2 cats (i presume this as correct because the aa told me it was the left one that caused an error code a while back)

In what order does the exhaust flow, y pipe, cats, backbox?

The reason i ask is in the pictures of alot of exhausts you have one long SINGLE pipe then the backbox included in the sale. How does this work?

ive attached a pic to show you what i mean

post-6147-135011908341_thumb.jpg

thanks

kev

so when the above system (picture above) is sold as cat back then are lying? i.e it cant be cat back as you need a y pipe in the middle?

Correct :thumbs:

A cat back exhaust will include a y-pipe. Most exhausts are advertised as cat backs because its the most common type used on other cars. Theres not many exhaust systems for the Z that will include a Y-pipe aswell.

• 1 month later...
Incidentally

I'm selling my Tanabe, midpipe and backbox practically new for £675

Or if your looking for similar tips to that in the pic then I couldn't recommend the Greddy Spectrum Elite more.

Gorgeous exhaust B)

Did someone say "Greddy Spectrum Elite" ? :#1:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49115

After about 2000miles the Greddy and the Stillen Y-Pipe are bedded in and sound fooking awesome on WOT! Nice and quiet pootling, but when you use the loud pedal the noise is :cloud9:

GF was sat behind me in her Mini when i launched the Zed from some traffic lights on a dual carriageway - she flashed me twice! Got to our destination and i was bricking it thinking the car was smoking etc.....but apparently the flashing was to let me know the exhaust system sounds "gorgeous" :lol:

Incidentally

I'm selling my Tanabe, midpipe and backbox practically new for £675

Or if your looking for similar tips to that in the pic then I couldn't recommend the Greddy Spectrum Elite more.

Gorgeous exhaust B)

Did someone say "Greddy Spectrum Elite" ? :#1:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49115

After about 2000miles the Greddy and the Stillen Y-Pipe are bedded in and sound fooking awesome on WOT! Nice and quiet pootling, but when you use the loud pedal the noise is :cloud9:

GF was sat behind me in her Mini when i launched the Zed from some traffic lights on a dual carriageway - she flashed me twice! Got to our destination and i was bricking it thinking the car was smoking etc.....but apparently the flashing was to let me know the exhaust system sounds "gorgeous" :lol:

Did she get a sound clip? ;)