London Emissions Zone

Peter10

In January they are increasing the range of vehicles that are caught in the emissions zone in London (within the M25). This effectively means if you drive a van the size of a VW T4 that was built before 2003, you will have to pay for a new emissions filter for the vehicle and get it tested on a yearly basis (about £37) and this isn't done at the yearly MOT. A colleague at work found his van is affected and after calling around the list of "authorised" sellers for the new filter (I assume a new cat) it will set him back about £1800.

Does any one know if there is a way around this? (legally). I mean, could he go to a garage and have a better/cleaner exhaust installed with a newer cat on? His van isn't even worth £1500, so spending £1700 on a new part just so he can drive it into London is a waste, however, the resale value of these type of vans has/will plummet...

My dad is a mechanic and recently bought a newer van to avoid just this (although the prices of the vans that were built after 2003 has rocketed). Might be worth just getting a newer one if he can? Dad found it wouldn't have been worthwhile to get his old van changed over as it would probably have needed replacing in a few years anyway.

Yeh, buying newer vans is the only way really round it but van prices have shot up.

Other than that I believe road wise there are ways round the emission zone, but they would obviously not be as direct.

I heard this is going to be for all vehicles soon, is this right?

I was wondering if they would include cars soon too... I wonder if modern cars will be okay though (like our 350z's) and they would just target the 1995 BMW type sheds on the road. Either way, they will eventually price everyone off the roads in London.

it is going on with cars too, my uncle has a big engine diesel shogun and that wont be able to go in with out paying the charge. another stealth tax :rant:

It's ridiculous! They find anyway possible to rip people off. Surely those people with older cars save energy and reduce pollution by not buying newer cars. I just dont see the point!

it is going on with cars too, my uncle has a big engine diesel shogun and that wont be able to go in with out paying the charge. another stealth tax :rant:

It's not happening on cars, only good vehicles. Don't panic just yet folks ;)

Pick up trucks registered before 2002 are affected as are "light" 4x4's. Someone at work has a 4x4 Jeep from the 90's and they have been hit by this now too.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/lez/

Pick up trucks have always been classed as good vehicles, that's why they make great company cars ;)

Still get cheap crossings at Dartford though! :teeth:

Not too sure on that one. Doubt it as I would say they class it as a "car" but I wouldn't be surprised if they included them soon to get rid of the classic cabs. Any pre 1973 vehicle is exempt too, so you VW Campervan drivers are safe :thumbs:.

That's the problem, "road tax" isn't really road tax :(

For more info there was a thread in the 350z section: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51620

They will always find another way to tax motorists though as one; they know almost everyone needs a vehicle and two; no one in this country will protest/strike for long enough for it to have a significant effect on the economy (like they do in France). What we really need is for all the haulage companies to start blocking the roads and pumps again, but in this financial climate, no company can afford to do that, either way it is win:win for the government, no matter who is in charge.