japspeed cold air induction kit... recomended?

Keviswatt

I'm sure these used to be on sale on ebay for £30 or something without the 'japspeed' logo.

I'm not saying it's bad but I'd personally stick with something tried and tested. JWT Popcharger isn't much more money and they've been popular (and proven) for years.

Interesting! and again i suspect that it just a case of "oh! these are cheap so must be rubbish" attitude,

i wonder how many have actually fitted them and tested, rather than listened to the general hype based hear say?

I have the long version fitted to my 350GT Skyline, now it may be a case of i may have a little more room in the front, but I'm not sure, however i have trimmed mine to place the filter element so its just above the side air intake, and I'm sure this can be done with the Z, anyway i have been quite happy with this for the last year,

But recently someone on the 350GT section of the Skyline board asked what my intake temps where like, so i did some logs with NDS, and the results even surprised me, on a day where the ambient temp was 21-22c my average temps on the move where 25-26c so only 4-5c over ambient.

To me that pretty dam good no matter how you look at it.

Now i hear the doubters chime in with "what about the flow restrictions, well IMO there are non as the joins butt to each other and cause no change in diameter, so to me if your trying to decide whether to to blow £250 odd on some hyped up piece of shiny tube that maybe gets you an unsubstantiated 4-7 bhp, think on. ;)

Im going off the fact that from all the sample tests I have seen... online and also in magazines.. POWER is always given from using the standard intake (with the extra velocity stack) and ALL CAI/Pop Chargers give less power.

:thumbs:

I would be more worried about the filter being of substandard quality. Looking at other stuff produced by Japspeed, most of it doesnt fit properly (exhausts and headers come to mind) and the fact they were removed from the forum about a year ago for poor performance, I dont think I'd be going anywhere near them ;) ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37849 )

Personally i don't think power is an issue with most aftermarket induction kits, as discussed a thousand time before the is very little, if any to be gained, and most figures are unsubstantiated, most should (unless very badly designed) flow about the same as the std intake anyway, IMO what does have an impact, is how much they allow the intake charge to be heated up on its way in, the lower the better, which was my previous point, all the ones that are short and place the filter element within the engine bay proper, and thats quite a few, are very likely to allow far to much temperature gain to the intake charge, unless thy have a dedicated and sealed cold air feed from the outside of the car, and thats not many.

However i do agree about some of the filters attached, although in reality unless they are the coarse foam or fine mesh type, they all should provide adequate filtering, all be it to a slightly larger particle size than the std one.

In terms of value for money v function, i just think that the japspeed design is a good buy, when compared to a lot of other induction kits.

I would be more worried about the filter being of substandard quality. Looking at other stuff produced by Japspeed, most of it doesnt fit properly (exhausts and headers come to mind) and the fact they were removed from the forum about a year ago for poor performance, I dont think I'd be going anywhere near them ;) ( http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37849 )

+1 we have a JWT which is largely popular and good quality - the throttle body was still filthy when I took the plenum off.......imagine the crud a crappy filter would let through. :scare:

I would be more worried about the filter being of substandard quality. Looking at other stuff produced by Japspeed, most of it doesnt fit properly (exhausts and headers come to mind) and the fact they were removed from the forum about a year ago for poor performance, I dont think I'd be going anywhere near them ;) ( viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37849 )

+1 we have a JWT which is largely popular and good quality - the throttle body was still filthy when I took the plenum off.......imagine the crud a crappy filter would let through. :scare:

The throttle body being dirty and sooty has nothing to do with the filter, its the PCV system that causes that. ;)