VHS to DVD transfer, help required please

lomoto

I'm sure some one out there can help me :blush:

I have a pile of VHS tapes of home movies that need to be put on to DVD's before they disintegrate, I have been in touch with a company that performs this service, but it looks like it will be cheaper to buy a machine to do it myself.....Problem is which one ,?? Curry's have totally baffled me with talk of + and - R and RW and zone 2 ??? :headhurt:

All I want is a machine I can bang the VHS tapes in and a DVD press a button and out pops the finished DVD ...any suggestions ..needs to be easy and idiot proof..also turns out a DVD that will play on any other machine... Thanks in anticipation :)

might be worth looking at a dual machine which has a vhs and dvd recorder in built. May be able to copy stuff over but tbo DVD is recording is slow and painfull from experience at work but yes the quality is better.

The other option could be a video disk recorder where you could output the files on to DVD.

i can do it on my PC, i digitise the video in to avid, then burn it onto DVD, works a treat.

How much stuff do you have, i may be able to find some time to do this for you?

thanks for the offer, but I have about 24 hours worth to transfer :blush:

all boring stuff like weddings, christenings ,family holidays etc etc

it's bit of a tricky one if it's for long term storage. DVD will become a thing of the past just as VHS is doing. Blue Ray is already coming onto the market and within a year prices should fall to a better level. You be able to get more onto a Blue Ray DVD than normal ones.

it's bit of a tricky one if it's for long term storage. DVD will become a thing of the past just as VHS is doing. Blue Ray is already coming onto the market and within a year prices should fall to a better level. You be able to get more onto a Blue Ray DVD than normal ones.

"BLUE RAY " OMG dont through another item into the equation :headhurt:

i can do it on my PC, i digitise the video in to avid, then burn it onto DVD, works a treat.

How much stuff do you have, i may be able to find some time to do this for you?

thanks for the offer, but I have about 24 hours worth to transfer :blush:

all boring stuff like weddings, christenings ,family holidays etc etc

ahh a lot of stuff then, any naughty bits too? ;)

If you have the master tapes from the video camera, many companies off a tape the DVD service, you could look into that

I just connect my old VCR to my DVD Recorder, works a treat and DVD recorders can be picked up for peanuts now :)

thats the point though !! which DVD recorder? some use -R and some use +R , which one if I record the tapes to a DVD will play on any DVD player...for instance one of my mates has a DVD recorder and anything he records on his DVD wont play on my DVD player!! only his own..

i've got a liteon lvw-1105HC+ dvd recorder, about the same size as a A4 paper and inch n half thick, transfered loads of video to dvd, dead easy, just put the output scart of the video into the input of the dvd recorder,press play on video, press record on dvd, easy peasy :)

i've got a liteon lvw-1105HC+ dvd recorder, about the same size as a A4 paper and inch n half thick, transfered loads of video to dvd, dead easy, just put the output scart of the video into the input of the dvd recorder,press play on video, press record on dvd, easy peasy :)

That sounds easy enough even for me will look into that tomorrow :thumbs: