Locked without the alarm on?

chrisgunton

Hey all,

Now that the hot weather has hit I'd really like to be able to leave the windows down a touch while I'm at work (I have secure parking, outside my window).

Ive heard that you have to turn the ignition on/off 3 times and then lock the car as normal.

Can anyone confirm this?

Why not try it and wave your arm in the window and see if the alarm goes off? :teeth:

On other cars I've had if you lock it via the key in the door it doesnt set the alarm, thats another one you can try. There may also be a button somewhere to disengage the motion sensors.

Not sure if applies to UK cars but in the US owners manual it says that the alarm system can be activated with the windows down. Only the doors, bonnet and boot lid need to be shut for it to work. Also can be armed with passengers in the car. This would suggest that it doesn't have a motion trigger.

The manual also states that the alarm will only go off if the doors are opened with the car still locked, the boot is opened without unlocking or using the outside release button or if the bonnet is opened from outside without using the release button or whilst the car is locked.

Having said this, the UK versions might have motion detectors as I'm sure my UK owners manual had something about pressing the lock button twice within 5 seconds to deactivate the alarm whiulst still locking the car. I would check it but I'm in France at the moment so no access.

Not sure if applies to UK cars but in the US owners manual it says that the alarm system can be activated with the windows down. Only the doors, bonnet and boot lid need to be shut for it to work. Also can be armed with passengers in the car. This would suggest that it doesn't have a motion trigger.

not the same in the UK

i locked my wife in thecar at the video shop by accident a few years ago, and yes the alarm does keep going off :lol: she was not best pleased when i came back :blush:

I can confirm I ve pi**ed the girlfriend off a few times locking her in the car :lol:

Neil I don't think it's got motion sensors or anything. I can jack the car up both ends and it still won't go off....

Wish the gf was the same ;):lol::lol::lol:

hmm maybe im thinking of the mini then. There must be something as i put the windows down and lock it. The alarm doesn't go off for ages unless you stick a hand in and it then goes off.

I'll need to have a little read. Upto my eyes in studying for work stuff just now so havent moved out the house yet.

Wish the gf was the same ;):lol::lol::lol:

Haha i've heard you're quite good at working on the ladies

Solved!

Turn the ignition on/off 3 times and then lock car as normal with the remote. It's sitting on the drive now with the windows down :)

Pressing the remote button twice within 5 seconds didn't work, neither did locking with the key. The alarm went off within 20 seconds with the windows open.

Good man :thumbs:

And there are proximity sensors in the cabin, else you could just lock it as normal with the windows down and the alarm wouldnt go off, or you could leave someone in the car and similarly it wouldnt go off. You can jack the car up with prox sensors on as long as nothing moves in the cabin.

370z has anti-tilt sensors in it as there is a button to disable it ;)

Good man :thumbs:

And there are proximity sensors in the cabin, else you could just lock it as normal with the windows down and the alarm wouldnt go off, or you could leave someone in the car and similarly it wouldnt go off. You can jack the car up with prox sensors on as long as nothing moves in the cabin.

370z has anti-tilt sensors in it as there is a button to disable it ;)

Well I was waving my arms around inside, and tapping the sensor, so whatever it is it's off completely.

• 1 year later...