DIY home welding????

djtimo

Guys does any one on here do a little bit of home welding? Im looking to modify my exhaust a little :ph34r: and really would love to able to do this myself. I have done a 12 week welding corse when I did my fabrication training as an apprentice but this was just basic manual metal arc, MIG and some gas cutting etc.. and not TIG as I really want to learn.

Im thinking the money I spend paying people to do jobs for me could pay for a basic TIG set.

Any tips on a starter TIG set up?

Thanks.

Is it stainless stuff you're planning on welding? hit button to fast, done welding before gas a mig and it was easy enough once you got the hang of what you need to do :) (cleaning up a weld is nice too) Never tried tig but heard it pretty hard. Think it's a great idea though :teeth: Wouldn't mind getting my teeth into something like that too.

Yeah andy, Im looking at TIG'ing my stainless exhaust. MMA welding on thick plate/tube is easy but TIG'ing thin wall exhaust tubing may take me some time to learn! lol..

Ah right you'd need the TIG stuff for that, can't help you out though I'm afraid. I'd say attend a course won't do any harm, might even get the best idea of where to get the stuff that you need to do it at home too, I'd try someone in the trade first and see what they say. The guy making my exhaust has pledged for ages to get to go on a course but his boss has other plans for him :lol: (probably afraid he'll get a job elsewhere)

i can MiG and Arc weld, and have the gear at work, but TiG is somewhat of a skilled process, you can MiG weld stainless but the weld will rot out after an extended period. see if there is a course at your local college, sign up and learn it properly.

i'm sure as well with stainless welding you need breathing apparatus as stainless gives off nasty fumes? might be way off the mark though?

i can MiG and Arc weld, and have the gear at work, but TiG is somewhat of a skilled process, you can MiG weld stainless but the weld will rot out after an extended period. see if there is a course at your local college, sign up and learn it properly.

i'm sure as well with stainless welding you need breathing apparatus as stainless gives off nasty fumes? might be way off the mark though?

After owning a stainless fabrication business for 8 years I can safely say that Tigging thin stainless certainly is a difficult skill to learn if you are putting wire into the weld.

Fuse welding ( just melting close fitting bits together is lots easier ) however neither give off any nasty fumes.

In fact its the cleanest welding possible, using stainless wire melted into the melted components being welded.

A dc electric arc gives the heat needed to melt the stainless steel with a tungsten electrode and nitrogen/argon shield gas ( tungsten inert gas TIG ).

You can get a scratch start dc inverter for about £150 to start with.

Essentially its a stick welder which you reverse the earth and live welding cables. ie use a +ve earth when welding tig.

Its also possible to tig weld with a 12v car alternator Check out the interweb for a how to. There's bound to be one somewhere.

there you go, someone with the full lnowledge :thumbs:

You can also mig with stainless wire which dosn't rot out but the wire is expensive compared to normal mig wire

thats good to know as i have a project in mind but only have a MiG at work; don't mind paying the extra for a one off job if i already have the tools

many moons ago I used to weld for Zip Karting I done Mig,Arc,Brazing and Tig welding on the specifications I had to do so many ripples per inch for TIG welding, to be honest it's not unlike brazing you just make the metal into a pool and feed a rod into the pool as you go a long if you can braze you will find TIG quite simple.