bandwidth usage after long time running

Husky

Maybe this is just me but..

I leave the forum running on a tab in my browser so whenever the computer is on i'm logged in. after a fair few hours running I find my internet coming to a crawl, I have found that getting rid of the tab with the forum and restarting it solves the problem. almost as if the forum is using all my bandwidth? any ideas?

i regualrly have to do this to clear my browser, if i leave the forum on, it slams all my other tabs, as if it crashes the browser and i have to shut down the browser and restart all the tabs.

never had to restart the whole browser, just the forum tab

Must be something else you chaps have running. At home and work I leave IE9 (home) and FF4 (work) running all day every day with the forum and Gmail going and have never had this problem. Both laptops get hibernated over night and restarted whenever there is an update needs to be applied. Home laptop gets restarted properly about once a month, maybe once every 2 months.

Do you have chat open when this happens?

i think we are both using chrome. it's definately the forum as it's the only thing I get rid of and the whole internet instanly comes back to life.

Try using FF and see if the issue is still there. Theres nothing on the site the requried a permenant connection, once a page is downloaded, its downloaded, it just sits there and does nothing. Theres nothing it should be doing to use bandwidth. I tried to use Chrome at work, but with its retarted "Windows default proxy" settings that you cant override I couldnt get it to work :rant: I'll try downloading it tonight and running it at home and see if theres anything untoward going on.

Its most likely not liking part of the code. I'll see what I can do tonight to trace down what its doing. Do you have any mods/add-ons installed?

nope, just plain old chrome. Just try running it in the background for the day and see if it does it. Don't do anythign special like chat or anything, just leave it on a random page and use it now and again.

Will take a look on Chrome. IE6/7 are now becoming unsupported by many sites but this site isnt particularly complex or flash in terms of new tech so should be fine on older versions. All I can suggest is that you dont leave it open all day, it must have a problem with some part of it. Not going to start debugging old and out of date browsers though, sorry :surrender:

Chrome tends to have more characteristics akin to a virus than a browser, try uninstalling it. Really uninstalling it, not just the base executables. It's more resilient than a cockroach.

I thought they'd eliminated the memory drain issues in it last year tho (they were well documented and prolific at the time), maybe not.