Keevil Airfield 13th June - Black Flag fest!

captain

Went with PIMM to Keevil Airfield for a track day yesterday. Good fun but they are VERY picky about behaviour - we were black flagged in the first session for "swapping" and I was black-flagged at the end of the day after a 40-yard sideways skid followed by over-correction in to a field trying to take the long right-hander flat out. PIMM reckons it can be done so lets wait to see his videos posted to find out how 'cos I couldn't do it. Pity my memory card maxxed out a few laps before - was quite a spectacular fail. :lol:

Weather was damp in the morning and better after lunch. Well organised and friendly but no atmosphere and quite miserable for spectators. 2 portaloos and a burger van. TBH I'd rather pay the extra for Castle Combe where you get atmosphere, enjoyment for spectators, a good lunch and you don't get black-flagged for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abC6553YsgI

No danger to anybody and very mild. Couldn't believe I was black-flagged later for pushing hard. :surrender: There was nobody near me and no damage to car.

Here's a few photos and a video of some quick laps (3 at 1:16 each time) and a little slide. :drive1

All done with TCS off and D1 Throttle Contoller at SP3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9hORZw_Zs4

_DSC7078.JPG

_DSC7084.JPG

_DSC7085.JPG

_DSC7086.JPG

_DSC7090.JPG

_DSC7096.JPG

_DSC7098.JPG

_DSC7112.JPG

_DSC7151.JPG

_DSC7125.JPG

_DSC7109.JPG

_DSC7154.JPG

_DSC7167.JPG

_DSC7169.JPG

_DSC7171.JPG

Yeah noticed that on YouTube.

Respected their decision, just didn't agree with it. :shrug: If I want to tussle with PIMM (at a safe distance) or drive at 80 mph round a corner and lose the back-end, as long as nobody else is around and the car is undamaged, I don't see a problem.

Never been on a track to be honest so not sure of the etiquette but I thought the whole point of a track day was so you can trash the nuts out of it in a controlled environment!?

Some great snaps mate!

My experience at Castle Combe is that as long as you don't disturb other cars, you can do what the F you like. "Your car - your life"

This was track days as if run by a Labour Government.

The photos would have been really good if there was a spectator area but there wasn't. :thumbdown: Had to stand by the marshalls at the pit lane and nowhere else. Understandable in some areas in case someone decides to drive off-piste at speed :blush: but pretty miserable if you come as a female +1 and all you've got to look forward to for the next 8 hours is a soggy ar*e in the portaloo followed by soggy chips in the burger van.

This was track days as if run by the Labour Government.

So you were made to drive against slower, cheaper, less competent cars who were given a 2 lap headstart to ensure that they were not disadvantaged, therefore giving the inferior car the impression that it was able to compete with the more able and expensive car, which ultimately resulted in the inferior car biting off more than it could chew, buying some NOS on H/P rather than increasing its power a bit at a time, then falling behind with the payments, having its NOS repossessed and ending up scrapped as it became clear that it wasn't really good enough to stand up on its own and was no longer financially viable?

O dear black flags :thumbdown: now I'm really worried ya nutter! :scare:

What size memory card are you using?

Great vid and pics (like the slide :thumbs: )

So pi**ed-off that didn't get the last off on film. Tried the long right-hander as fast as I could but felt myself going sideways (parallel slide - not spin) for about 30-40 yards. Thought I'd caught it but then I was suddenly going backwards in to a field and took off a few inches when the tarmac changed to stones/gravel before coming back down in the field with grass and dust flying through the windows. Fantastic 4-wheel marks left in the tarmac with a figure-of-eight half way through when I changed direction. :lol:

TBH I think they black-flagged me because I carried on and didn't return to the pit to check the car so on reflection, maybe fair enough.

This sort of thing is limited to airfields and won't be repeated anywhere near any tyre-walls, believe me. :headhurt: To put it in to perspective, when you take the last right-hander at Castle Combe, imagine trying it at 70 and not 50 and you'll understand.

8gb? It's taped to the tow bar so can't get at the card.

your engine and tyres will leave him hanging ;)

Its not a race Captain is going to show me all the right lines and breaking points for CC

and we are going to have a gentle pootle round the track :lol:

Captain -

I got 2 £7 cameras and have ordered 2 8GB cards so I can have them front and back just need to get int he same group as you......

If not I'll be bringing my camera along as well :thumbs:

Its not a race Captain is going to show me all the right lines and breaking points for CC

Captain -

I got 2 £7 cameras and have ordered 2 8GB cards so I can have them front and back just need to get int he same group as you......

ah yeah we all know what will happen :D

Captain -

We should get in the same group no probs. Happy to show you the lines either passenger in mine or me in yours.

Don't forget the day comes with a couple of laps with an instructor in a Focus if you want where they show you the lines etc. and they'll come out with you and give extra tuition in the Z if you want.

If you really want a thrill, ask one of them to drive you round in your Z. :lol::lol: That'll get your heart pumping.

Am I that transparent ??? :dry:

I didn't spend all day Saturday sorting the SC (and chipping my nails :blush: ) for fun you know.

Actually it was fun but that's not the point.

The plan was to lull Captain into a false sense of security - failing that I can always let his tyres down. :ninja:

I didn't spend all day Saturday sorting the SC (and chipping my nails :blush: ) for fun you know.

The plan was to lull Captain into a false sense of security - failing that I can always let his tyres down. :ninja:

He'll need to let the try pressure down anyway ;)

You had me on the DIY part but then I saw the pics of you working on the car, you make no fool of me anymore :D lol

anyway enjoy and get good vids, only thing keeping me sain these days :lol:

2 psi, if you don't mind. :thumbs:

Don't lose the caps...........

:lol::lol:

Love it!!

This was track days as if run by the Labour Government.

So you were made to drive against slower, cheaper, less competent cars who were given a 2 lap headstart to ensure that they were not disadvantaged, therefore giving the inferior car the impression that it was able to compete with the more able and expensive car, which ultimately resulted in the inferior car biting off more than it could chew, buying some NOS on H/P rather than increasing its power a bit at a time, then falling behind with the payments, having its NOS repossessed and ending up scrapped as it became clear that it wasn't really good enough to stand up on its own and was no longer financially viable?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Loose more then that and keep the caps off so you don't burn your fingers checking tire pressure again later on :p do you have any close-up pics of your tires after a track session? Would be interested to compare and see how they performed.

Loose more then that and keep the caps off so you don't burn your fingers checking tire pressure again later on :p do you have any close-up pics of your tires after a track session? Would be interested to compare and see how they performed.

I'll post up after the 7th.

Don't take the pressure down that much because only out for 15 minutes each session. If it's open pit in the afternoon and I go out for longer, will take them down to 30 maybe.