When should clutch be changed????

Karlp

Yo guys,

Looking at a few different zeds for sale as going to be a owner v soon but if a clutch has not been changed when should it be done and is it something that should definately be done? Surely clutches should last more than 60k?

My OEM clutch lasted over 70k miles with some mechanical sympathy and a fair few motorway miles. As above it depends on how its been driven, do a clutch test and see if its still ok. I wouldnt imagine many last more than 70k miles though.

A clutch is totally different for each individual car it depend on the cars history and the way it has been drivin , I changed mine at 45k as i was unsure of it's history and I like to give it some welly :teeth: plus it began to slip after a year or so of abuse :lol:

With these car its easy to tell if the clutch is on it's way as they have quite abit of torque and will slip noticably

2 methods, worth doing both as both show different things.

first on is put it in third gear, and fromo a stand still gently pull away, you'll need some revs but not redlining it, if that makes sense. just a little more than normal. if the clutch is good the car should pull away, albeit with a little juddering and shaking. if the clutch is going it will really struggle or stall completely.

the other test i'm not as familiar with but others use it on here, if i remember rightly, sit the car in 4th gear and drive at around 30 or 40 mph, then on a straight bit of road with no one around, drop it straight into 6th and floor the accelerator pedal. the revs should drop and the car will slowly creep up the revs and the speed.

if the clutch is going the revs will bounce really high then drop. if that makes sense.

The signs that my clutch were going were exactly the second test, in higher gears just put your foot down and see how the revs react, if it revs up then returns to a lower rev count before pulling then you have a car that is starting to slip on the clutch.

Also, when my clutch went I noticed the biting point was very high, I know its not indicative of a clutch going but if you have some slippage and the clutch is high there is a fairly high chance its on its way out. Usually the dealer cost of repairing a clutch is enough in itself to convince someone to sell up!

The signs that my clutch were going were exactly the second test, in higher gears just put your foot down and see how the revs react, if it revs up then returns to a lower rev count before pulling then you have a car that is starting to slip on the clutch.

Also, when my clutch went I noticed the biting point was very high, I know its not indicative of a clutch going but if you have some slippage and the clutch is high there is a fairly high chance its on its way out. Usually the dealer cost of repairing a clutch is enough in itself to convince someone to sell up!

i would noramlly say on other cars that a high bite point is a good indicator as well, but the Zed is renowned for having a high bite point. so wouldn't generally use it as an indicator on the Zed.

Yep, wouldn't use it as your only guide, it should be just a clue to the overall opinion to how far gone the clutch is...on mine it was high when it went, changed the clutch and flywheel and its now much lower down.

Yep, wouldn't use it as your only guide, it should be just a clue to the overall opinion to how far gone the clutch is...on mine it was high when it went, changed the clutch and flywheel and its now much lower down.

agreed :thumbs:

mines has lasted 28k with a fair amount of ball booting and track action. I suspect it will be going soon but it feels excellent just now. To be a honest a clutch isnt that expensive when bought from one of our traders and the labour is only a few hours. If you can get a car cheap enough I wouldnt worry about the clutch.