Akrapovic Exhaust on its way!

ScottyZ

After weeks of agonising about which exhaust to go for have decided not to go for the Berk HFC and exhaust combo (thinking of the neighbours) or the Tanabe (as the 'y' pipe was on back order for months) but have bought the Akrapovic full cat back system. I have not yet decided which tips to have as I have a Twilight Grey 370 and think both the Carbon Fibre and Titanium ones would look good.

Anyway that leaves me a brand new boxed set of Berk HFC's for sale - please see my ad in the for sale section.

Once the Akro's fittted I'll take some photo's. Also looking forward to NOT reading countless reviews and opinions about exhausts - but I guess when spending up to a couple of grand you need to do some research and believe me I have!

Cheers,

Scotty

As I've posted in your "for sale" thread, the combo of the two is fantastic. Non intrusive in normal driving mode, no drone in cruising mode but when you give it the beans old chap, it's awesome.

Are you going to Lake Z? I'm sure you'd be impressed with the sound.

The Evo set up on it's own, while I think a little too quiet, will be an improvement in oomph, with the Berks it's an improvement on that. You've got to at least try them :thumbs:

PS, get the titanium tips, we can swap at a later date to freshen up our rear ends :blush::lol:

Good choice Scotty B)

Why not keep the HFCs too? Need to recoup some of the cost of the exhuast?

I'm tempted to keep the HFC's but you are spot on with needing to offset the cost of the Akrapovic. I guess if I can't sell them I'll bite the bullet and get them fitted even though I suppose that would mean spending another £400 on getting a re-map! So by selling the HFC's and not having a re-map I would be around £800 better off.

As I've posted in your "for sale" thread, the combo of the two is fantastic. Non intrusive in normal driving mode, no drone in cruising mode but when you give it the beans old chap, it's awesome.

The Evo set up on it's own, while I think a little too quiet, will be an improvement in oomph, with the Berks it's an improvement on that. You've got to at least try them :thumbs:

PS, get the titanium tips, we can swap at a later date to freshen up our rear ends :blush::lol:

If I can't sell them then they will go on the car. Can't make Lake Z but I will attend a meet soon - I'll take my seven year old son, he'll love it - being a petrol head already!

Did you have the car re-mapped after the exhaust and hfc's were fitted?

Cheers,

Scotty

If you had the exhaust and HFC's fitted you could probably leave it a while to get the remap. They run so rich that adding breathing mods will lean it a bit, but not so much that its dangerous. It my intakes which fiddle with the MAF, and exhaust, it was still rather rich. I think with intakes, exhaust, HFCs and headers, then you'd have to have a remap.

If I can't sell them then they will go on the car. Can't make Lake Z but I will attend a meet soon - I'll take my seven year old son, he'll love it - being a petrol head already!

Did you have the car re-mapped after the exhaust and hfc's were fitted?

Cheers,

Scotty

No need for a re-map mate :thumbs: The power and torque gains are evident, there are no CEL's and no difference in how the car behaves. I do plan to have a re-map by Abbey, but this will have to wait until I'm in their area as I'm in Scotland. My two sisters live in London so on my next visit Abbey are getting a call.

I cannot urge you enough to put the Berks on, again NO RE-MAP NEEDED :thumbs:

My ultimate goal is to have a 370 with 370bhp, this may mean FI later but I'm prepared to do this. Please, please pretty please, get the Berks fitted, £50/£60 to have fitted, not that expensive B)

Ebized actually found that with exhaust changed he only made stock power figures on Abbey's dyno with OEM map (with a bit of fudge factor to get you to fly figures). He then made ~15HP by having the remap. Equally, my car with Gen 3 intakes (this is very important) and exhaust made +10HP more than OEM figures before map and +15HP (so pretty much the same as Colin) after the map.

So either Abbey dyno is a heartbreaker, or this ECU also cancels out any gains from certain mods. With exhaust only, the car still runs really rich, but it will be allowed to rev a little freer. What we've seen on Abbey's dyno is you dont gain any power from just exhaust. Gen3 intakes gain some as it messes with the MAF housing and makes it run leaner.

But aren't you two still running a Y pipe? The Akro is a different beastie, proper straight through with freer flowing secondary cats. This makes a difference over a normal aftermarket exhaust, coupled with the HFC's this is abundantly apparant, running rich or not :thumbs:

But aren't you two still running a Y pipe? The Akro is a different beastie, proper straight through with freer flowing secondary cats. This makes a difference over a normal aftermarket exhaust, coupled with the HFC's this is abundantly apparant, running rich or not :thumbs:

So does the Akrapovic have secondary cats? Mark from Abbey told me that fitting any aftermarket cat back exhaust removed the secondary cats. I wasn't aware that the 370 had secondary cats and if so where are they on the OEM exhaust?

Your right, my misunderstanding, it has HiFlo link pipes, this is what makes it so different, the biggest difference though is not having a restrictive Y pipe, which the Akro does away with. Sorry I had a brain fart.

The difference in power delivery was obvious with just the Akro and I can't emphasise enough, with the Berks it was a further improvement :thumbs:

This is from their site:

We at AkrapoviÄ strive to make cars sound the way they were intended to. The 370Z is no exception. The Slip-On systems generate a deeper-than-stock tone with the sporty sound you would expect from the 3.7-liter high-revving engine. The Evolution system is much more racer-inspired with an aggressive character. It encourages the driver to rev the engine higher. While the Evolution system is louder than the Slip-On, both are still perfectly acceptable for daily use and have no droning that would otherwise ruin the driving experience.

There are power gains not just at or near redline, but across the entire rpm range. The Evolution system produces a substantial boost in performance. A gain of 13 horsepower and 10 Nm of torque are generated, as well as a weight reduction of 4 kg when compared to stock. The Evolution exhaust brings noticeable difference in power from around 3.000 rpm to the redline—that is, in precisely the range where the sound is also most enjoyable.

Evolution system:

2 stainless steel link pipes with resonators

Stainless steel muffler

Hard facts:

Plus 13 HP (at 7.460 rpm)

Plus 10 Nm (at 3.370 rpm)

4 kg lighter than stock

GMAN, did you fit the exhaust yourself? I'm tempted to give it ago if it's possible with trolley jacks/axle stands. I'm not too bad with bolt-on stuff etc. Other than that I will really have to try hard to find an exhaust fitter/mechanic I can trust.

No mate, trusted garage, £50 :thumbs: Chippy from the Channel Islands fitted his himself just using jacks etc, my days for fitting things lying on the ground are all gone, too old and impatient :lol:

If you get a garage to fit, get the HFC's done at the same time, there's a little more involved, not much, one of the air intakes, well the hose from the back of the airbox, needs loosened off and moved for access to one side of the engine to access the bolts. All goes back together no probs, for both you're looking at @£80 to fit :thumbs:

Guys, dont get wrapped up in marketing BS about how much power they add. Stillen claim an 18HP increase themselves. H-pipe, y-pipe makes no discernable difference, this has been proven many times in the US and over here with different 350z exhaust combos.

Here are the 2 exhausts to compare - they look pretty similar no? I will only beleive what people have seen on UK dynos, we already know JDM and USDM cars behave differently from experience with 350z ;) If anything the Stillen looks more free flowing. We know FACT that Colins car made stock power figures with the Stillen. Whether this was actually 15HP up on what it was before we will never know, and Mark@Abbey is looking forward to getting a stock car in so he can compare. We know FACT that my car dyno'd 10HP above Colins base. This has to be down to the intakes messing with the MAF housing. We know FACT that after Colins and my map they both made about ~310HP@hubs

01_nissan_370z_system_b_02.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Not knocking the Akrapovic btw, its a lovely exhaust, just dont let the butt dyno fool you into thinking it will add a chuck of power without the remap. I thought it would, but it doesnt appear to. What is good news is that it wont make the car run too lean and also there is a nice increase to be had by having it remaped, you get much better low down torque than the Akrapovic graph shows :thumbs:

That's next on the list :thumbs: I think it'll be surprising the pre-dyno with my set up, post dyno, I'm looking for another bundle of torquey horsey's :teeth:

It is an epic exhaust, it'll be nice to compare differences at LakeZ with other 370 owners on stock and other set ups B) Had Neil P out the other night in her, his first time actually in a 370, he was quite impressed, in fact and I quote, " Fook me, this foockin' thing can shift", :lol: and he has a re-mapped 350 running 313hp(might be more actually), leaves him for dead :p

(awaits Neil to contest this :lol: )

Ooh, I never saw the piccy post, the Y is still restrictive, as I say I look forward to having it dyno'd, and it will be surprising. The marketing BS is sometimes BS, but sometimes, because of design changes, ie no Y pipe, and other more subtle changes, it can be correct. All I know at the moment, FACT, it was way more responsive over stock, FACT, with the Berks it was more responsive again ;)

We'll just have to wait and see :thumbs:

OK, looks like I made a balls up. Colin pointed me at a stock car dyno that Mark has done and it appears the Stillen does make some power on its own, and that the Abbey dyno / stock car combo, gives slightly low readings compared to OEM quotes (plenty of reason for this, so its to be expected).

From what I can find, the hub power that we have seen is:

1. Stock: ~273HP

2. Stillen exhaust: ~297HP

3. HKS exhaust , HKS Panel filter and UPREV: ~300HP

4. Stillen exhaust, Gen3 intakes: ~303HP

5. Stillen exhaust and UPREV : ~310HP

Note the readings were taken on different days, 1 &3 together, 2&5 together, and 4 (mine) - which gave the same as 5 after UPREV.

Hope that helps. Should clear things up a bit. Also, doesnt look it in the pics but the Y-pipe for the Stillen isnt restrictive, its at least the double the size of the two pipes going into/out of it :thumbs:

Panel filters, that's what I've forgot to get :doh: I knew there was something else :)

Thanks Chris, those figures are good reading :thumbs: I can't wait to get her dyno'd, I'm on the fence at the mo re the FI, but if that's what it takes to give me the final bit of oomph, that's what I'll get. That is quite a jump from stock to Stillen B) I guess that, and I know it's a guess at this stage, that the Akro will be similar if not slightly more.

Are any of you running HFC's? Now that is gonna be an interesting dyno ;)

I need to have a cabbie in your car, when are you in Scotland next? Get yer erse up to Gods race track and take me for a run :thumbs:

Not overly scientific, but Mark overlayed a car with exhaust, filters, remap and HFC/decat against mine and it was neck and neck pretty much up to the near the redline where the HFCs allowed more power to be had - but saying that it was sub 5HP extra.

IMO I would go HFC for more noise, but not the performance. When you think exhaust, panel filters and remap net you so much, HFCs dont add a lot. For a complete package and especially for the noise, I guess for quite a few they are worth it though :thumbs:

Trying to get up to Jockland for the Hoon later in the year :teeth:

I gather from Mark (Abbey) that the HFCs should add a worthwhile increase ;)

Inside the car I find the Stillen gives me a similar sound as the Nismo exhaust did on the 350 so those who with that system will know the difference when the used in combination with the HFC's. Having ridden in a 350 with the Nismo + HFCs for me personally I found the noise level just too harsh and that is why I have not gone down that route with the 370. Mind you, following one is a joy but then that's not living it with it everyday :D

But then again I can understand those of more tender years would not worry about the noise level inside when I see and hear some of the ICE installed :blush::headhurt::lol: