Massive Euro Road Trip July 11' PAGE 3 UPDATE PICS

ZedMeister

Thought I'd give you all a wee brief on my plans next month in the Zed and any possible suggestions for me along the way.

Cars - CRX Del Sol, Glanza, Silvia S13 & Zed.

Miles - 5000 circa.

Route - Scotland - Eurotunnel - Nurburgring - Luxemburg (cheap tank of petrol we hope) - Black Forest - Swiss Alpine Roads - Stelvio Pass - Venice - Milan - French Alps - Monte Carlo - Barcelona - Madrid - Bilbao - Nantes - Paris - Home.

Any opinion's or tips for those who have done similar would be greatly appreciated, I done a Euro Trip last year on a smaller scale in a hire car but to do it in the Zed.. B)

I of course plan on uploading pictures if you guys are interested when I return.

Wow that's a big trip. I did just over 2,500 in 10 day through Europe but only as far down as Mont Blanc. How many days are you planning for this?

I'd say with a trip this big I'd make sure the car is full of all fluids and maybe take a couple of litres of oil with you? Tyres, pads and so on are in good condition.

Gota say this could cost a fair bit on fuel too, I'm sure I spent near to £500 for the ten days.

Keep us posted, this will be epic :#1:

Sounds like you will be approaching Stelvio from the north. In my oppinion this is the best way as the view is not so good on that side of the pass if you were heading in the opposite direction. Concentrate, look out for cyclist and worst of all, be aware of slow BMW motor bikes. Catch your breath at the top, take some pics, then blast down the south side, it is great fun.

According to your route you will be heading to Venice next. It is best to drop down to Lago di Garda, take another break and some pics, then blast long the motorway. Naturally you can't enter into venice, there are no roads, but you can find parking near the rail station and then walk or take one of the boats, it is well worth it.

The route back to Milan is quite boring if you go the fastest way so you may want to break your route, perhaps drop down to Parma for some cheese and ham before goinf on to Milan. Milan is not all it is cracked up to be but is a nice day trip. Piazza del Duomo is a must see and all of the main sights can be seen by walking as the city centre is very small. I live near to Duomo so if you need any advice let me know.

Sadly my Z is not here but I hope to bring it over some time.

Ciao e buon viaggio, Lee.

That's a good point about Venice. No cars, you'd think due to this the Carpark at Venice you would think is mega expensive, but it's not, so you can spend a whole day there without having to get a mortgage to pay for the parking. The road into Venice is a bit breath taking.

Epic indeed :thumbs: I didn't have to google Stelvio, was there last year in my Rex :p We kind of did that route in reverse, started from Santander to Barca though and then through the South of France to Italy and Stelvio, return trip diagonally across France to Normandy and fast ferry from Caen to Portsmouth.

I'm not sure whether you will be approaching the summit from the other side, we came up from the Italian side, man that road is scary :scare::scare: Lots of little tunnels, single track and black as a witches heart. It'll be mobbed with bikers in July and they are nuts!! Keep your nerve and just make them move over :thumbs:

Pic Whore time :lol:

thats only two pics... would call that a mini pic whore time :teeth:

Exactly, get more added!!

Its over 16 days.

I've budgeted £1500 petrol, won't be far off that.

I approach Stelvio from the north as you guys say, from Davos.

To Venice my plan is to head from Stelvio - Bolzano - Pordoi Pass - Sella Pass - San Di Boldo Pass (check them out, really interesting roads)

Ps, out of interest I had planned on stocking up on a little oil, which would you dudes suggest?

Awesome! Build up your arm muscles for Stelvio lol. Fill up in Livigno as it's tax free :) usually do a Euro trip like that on a Hayabusa but now I have the Z i'm seriously tempted to do it on 4 wheels!

If you're going back through Italy to the French Alps, I suggest entering through Claviere then heading to Le route de la Bonette, Europes highest paved pass. Great drive, amazing scenery. Then follow La route des grandes alpes all the way down to the med!

Awesome! Build up your arm muscles for Stelvio lol. Fill up in Livigno as it's tax free :) usually do a Euro trip like that on a Hayabusa but now I have the Z i'm seriously tempted to do it on 4 wheels!

If you're going back through Italy to the French Alps, I suggest entering through Claviere then heading to Le route de la Bonette, Europes highest paved pass. Great drive, amazing scenery. Then follow La route des grandes alpes all the way down to the med!

Why is Livigno tax free, even though its Italian soil? Are we talking about much cheaper per litre? Not that I'm complaining!

The French Alps route is the exact one I have planned! :#3:

any possible suggestions for me along the way.

Might be worth checking the Tour De France route out, they'll be in The Alps and Pyrenees from the 12th to the 19th with at least one day over the border in the Italian part of the Alps. The roads are obviously closed all day and the alternative routes and surrounding roads get a "bit" congested :lol:

Pete

Why is Livigno tax free, even though its Italian soil? Are we talking about much cheaper per litre? Not that I'm complaining!

I've no idea why Livigno is a tax haven but it is! I think I paid about 70 pence a litre or so last year. Clothes and booze are cheap too! And if you're coming from the north you'll go through an amazing 2k long single track tunnel through the mountains up to a huge lake.

Head down the south side of the route de bonette and stop at St Etienne de Tinee. There's a cafe in the village square. Mention to the Patron that you've just done the Bonette and he may give you a decal as a momento, he gives them to all the bikers usually.

I've no idea why Livigno is a tax haven but it is! I think I paid about 70 pence a litre or so last year. Clothes and booze are cheap too! And if you're coming from the north you'll go through an amazing 2k long single track tunnel through the mountains up to a huge lake.

Head down the south side of the route de bonette and stop at St Etienne de Tinee. There's a cafe in the village square. Mention to the Patron that you've just done the Bonette and he may give you a decal as a momento, he gives them to all the bikers usually.

Thats scary cheap, I don't see him being too chuffed about decaling 4 cars! If anyone else knows of any other mega cheap petrol areas feel free to share!? :drive1

Country Unleaded petrol price per litre in euros mid May 2011 Diesel price per litre in euros mid May 2011

Austria 1.45 1.37

Belgium 1.62 1.41

Czech Rep 1.45 1.42

Denmark 1.70 1.46

Estonia 1.24 1.26

Finland 1.59 1.37

France 1.64 1.32

Germany 1.54 1.36

Greece 1.70 1.49

Hungary 1.41 1.40

Ireland 1.51 1.46

Italy 1.56 1.42

Latvia 1.31 1.26

Lithuania 1.22 1.20

Luxembourg 1.33 1.15

Netherlands 1.72 1.36

Norway 1.76 1.64

Poland 1.31 1.28

Portugal 1.61 1.41

Slovakia 1.46 1.36

Slovenia 1.30 1.22

Spain 1.32 1.21

Sweden 1.58 1.51

Switzerland 1.39 1.43

United Kingdom 1.52 1.62

Just checked Livigno, it's about a euro a litre now :(

Country Unleaded petrol price per litre in euros mid May 2011 Diesel price per litre in euros mid May 2011

Austria 1.45 1.37

Belgium 1.62 1.41

Czech Rep 1.45 1.42

Denmark 1.70 1.46

Estonia 1.24 1.26

Finland 1.59 1.37

France 1.64 1.32

Germany 1.54 1.36

Greece 1.70 1.49

Hungary 1.41 1.40

Ireland 1.51 1.46

Italy 1.56 1.42

Latvia 1.31 1.26

Lithuania 1.22 1.20

Luxembourg 1.33 1.15

Netherlands 1.72 1.36

Norway 1.76 1.64

Poland 1.31 1.28

Portugal 1.61 1.41

Slovakia 1.46 1.36

Slovenia 1.30 1.22

Spain 1.32 1.21

Sweden 1.58 1.51

Switzerland 1.39 1.43

United Kingdom 1.52 1.62

Just checked Livigno, it's about a euro a litre now :(

What about Monaco? Any ideas? Tax free petrol? Andorra?

• 3 weeks later...

Have done the Italian Job and Switzerland amongst other Euro Hoons in Mini's back in the mid 1990's so any advice I would have is a bit out of date. Saying that, take a good toolkit with you and watch out for the Italian Drivers (especially the Vespa Riders who I have even seen reading a book whilst plodding along :scare: ). You will be fine. Enjoy :thumbs: