General rant about car dealers!!!

gangzoom

Been visiting car dealers for the first time in nearly 5 years and i wish i hadn't :wacko:

Went to see a Cupra R at £26K (brand new), sat down with the sales women, give her the details of my Z, she went to speak to her boss and came back...

Salewomen: "Would you like a test drive"

Me: "Yeaph, but first how much can i get for my car"

Saleswomen: "We cannot tell you that until you can commit to buying, why don't I put your name down for a test drive"

Me: "Hold on, what's the point of me test driving the car if you cannot offer me what i want for the Z, it'll be a waste of time for us both"

Basicially this went for about 5 mintues till I had enough and left :bang::bang:

The Ford Dealer had valued up the Z whilst I was sitting in the RS, and the Renault guy gave me a value over the phone without even seeing the Z.... :lol:

So can anyone explain to me why this Seat dealership was so keen to drive away their customers :rant:

I've met that same problem a few times.

In fact, it's the reason I bought an RX8 before I bought a Zed after having issues in a Nissan Dealership.

(Obvioulsy I ended up in a Zed eventually)

How it works is that they know that the new car is up for (say) 20k, they would prob drop that to 17 for cash. So, if you want it, rather than they say what they will give you for your car, they will just give you a package price. i.e. we will take your car + 10k. Makes it sound like they are giving you more for your car. Its all a much about nothing really, ive had the same with dealers and just haggle regardless. Doesnt matter to me if they give me more for my car or just knock cash of the new car, all adds up to the same.

At least they are offering you a test drive. I went to buy a brand new car 3 years back and Seat did not even have the car I wanted avaliable for a test drive, and had no idea when they would. Peugeot was the same. Ford, Renault and the others all were more than happy to give me a test drive in the car i wanted there & then. Makes you wonder how they ever sell cars. Seat in particular offered me a test drive in some 3 cylinder 1.4 grannie version Leon thinking that would help me in deciding whether or not to buy the cupra! wtf?!

As a sales professional I can understand why she was like that, even though she approached you in entirely the wrong way.

Understand that pricing up your car is an administrative exercise more complicated that you appreciate. They get test pilots in all day long and really, why should they bust their tits talking PX value when you havnt even established if you like their car?!

I back up entirely their reasons for being like that, but think it's so much easier if you explain t honestly to a buyer. She handled you wrong, just try and walk a mile in their shoes before you cast them off as ungrateful.

As a sales professional I can understand why she was like that, even though she approached you in entirely the wrong way.

Understand that pricing up your car is an administrative exercise more complicated that you appreciate. They get test pilots in all day long and really, why should they bust their tits talking PX value when you havnt even established if you like their car?!

I back up entirely their reasons for being like that, but think it's so much easier if you explain t honestly to a buyer. She handled you wrong, just try and walk a mile in their shoes before you cast them off as ungrateful.

......Saleswomen: "We cannot tell you that until you can commit to buying, why don't I put your name down for a test drive".....

You defend that!?!

Im not gunna commit to anything before I know the part ex value of what I am trading in. And nor will anyone with any sense at all

Dude rarely do I get out of my box but you have got to be yanking my danglers..........

an administrative exercise more complicated that you appreciate
..........you have got to be joking! Its never taken any garage or dealer more than 5 minutes to either pull a Glass's guide out of there arse pocket, tell me that no one wants (insert whatever engine size I'm trying to part ex) these days, suck air through their teeth and offer me £2k less than what the car is worth or tap a few details into a computer and give me the same figure without the air sucking.

Surely its a bigger waste of their time if he goes out for the test drive, comes back and they offer a price that means he can't do the deal!

It should be a pleasure buying a new car, unfortunately it' rarely anything like that.

Can I ask how you become a sales 'professional'? Genuinely interested because I don't think I have ever met one.

This saleswoman was anything but professional....commit to buy before we give you a part ex value!!!!...unbelievable!

Easiest deal I've done was through a third party website. Test drove the car I wanted at a dealership who gave the standard 'don't think I can really discount off list but leave it with me and I'll see what I can do', logged onto the tinternet and orangewheels and bagged £3k off..no haggling needed. Dealer who supplied the car gave me a part ex over the phone which was good and deal done.

What's complicated about that?

I've only had two experiences with dealers. One was where I got my car from :thumbs: one I walked away from feeling pretty disgusted.

It was a WLMG dealer. I went in, said I wanted the 350Z they had advertised online. They looked at me like I was dirt and laughed because of my age and that I must have been joking. It was only when I said what I do for a living and that I had enough to put 50% in cash ready to put down on the car and then they entertained me. During the talk to the salesman, I said that their asking price was at least £2000 over its value and they did their best to say it wasn't (funny, as it is still unsold today even after taking £1500 off the old asking price). The person who I dealt with openly said he didn't know anything about the car, but he did say all he wanted to do was sell it to me. He couldn't tell me the insurance group or tax band, how the electric mirror controls worked or even what the bluetooth adapter was for.

They then gave me a finance plan on the car and I said it was asking too much (total payment, including a part exchange was over £22000 for 2007 350Z!). I said that for a few thousand more, I could buy a second hand 370Z and they said I would struggle to find one for that :doh::yawn:.

I left basically saying that I would find the same car for at least £2000 less, to which they said I never would.

I still got calls and emails from them asking if I wanted to buy it (to which was verging on pressure selling). I even said, send me the finance details in a hard copy or via email and I would look into it. They didn't, but still carried on calling me.

A month later I was buying my 350Z and got another phone call from them. I said, "Sorry, I'm busy buying a car at the moment." To which he replied, "Oh, what are you getting..." "A 350Z for £2400 less than yours, goodbye." and I hung up. A few days later I was in the area of the WLMG so I had to drive past the show room a few times (not on purpose honest) in the same colour & year car looking like -> :teeth: <-

The funny thing is, even though I know the guy who sold me my car was so nice because he wanted to sell it to me, he was very good. He used to work for Nissan himself, had one as a company car for 7 years and knew it inside out. He could have been an arrogant sod (he wasn't), but he knew his stuff. I sent an email to the dealership and called the salesman after getting a reply. I told him I was very interested, to which he said he knew as the email was sent at 3am the day before :lol:. I put a holding deposit down that day and arranged to go and see it the week later. It was a 80 mile drive to see the car, so again he already knew my intention. I turned up, he met me outside, threw the keys and me and said lets go out for a drive. No talking, no paperwork, just keys in hand and a 30 mile test drive. That's how you sell a car!

I'd never buy a car from someone who is a total moron, private or dealer.

Saleswomen: "We cannot tell you that until you can commit to buying, why don't I put your name down for a test drive"

If She wants to play that game ,, why not tell her you will have a test drive Only if she commits to "Selling" But you cant tell her yet how much your going to pay for the new car. See how she likes that idea!!!

Well going to take my wife back to look at the Cupra R, wonder if they will try it again with the whole test drive business...found a similar car 30 miles away for £5k cheaper, might have to share that information with them :p

It should be a pleasure buying a new car, unfortunately it' rarely anything like that.

Can I ask how you become a sales 'professional'? Genuinely interested because I don't think I have ever met one.

This saleswoman was anything but professional....commit to buy before we give you a part ex value!!!!...unbelievable!

Easiest deal I've done was through a third party website. Test drove the car I wanted at a dealership who gave the standard 'don't think I can really discount off list but leave it with me and I'll see what I can do', logged onto the tinternet and orangewheels and bagged £3k off..no haggling needed. Dealer who supplied the car gave me a part ex over the phone which was good and deal done.

If you read my post you'll note I'm not agreeing with how they approached the situation. was just playing devils advocate.

Also, comment about sales professionals, think that's uncalled for. I consider a sales professional as someone that does it as a career and conducts themselves in a professional manner. Don't think looking down your nose at a particular job is helpful.

What's complicated about that?