New Pads - Advice Needed!

s1xtyn1n3

I'm currently squealing so need new pads quite soon. Any advice on what I should put on? I've heard good things about EBC YellowStuff, but they seem pricey so want to make sure I'm not wasting my cash. I'd try fitting them myself as pads don't seem that hard to do, but I lack the tools to jack the car up so need to also consider fitting costs.

In case it helps, I don't intend to track day the car any time soon, but do enjoy an occasional B-road thrashing (that sounds so wrong!)

Front or rear or all? If rear, I just ordered standard replacements from GMF, cost about £26 i think without checking. I'd be tempted for better on the front. My local garage fitted for £22.50 so it wasn't worth my time messing about! I have brembo's.

Not sure exactly which need doing, but I've never had them done in the 18 months I've had the car and not sure when it last had them done so I figure it's probably best just to do them all at once.

Yellowstuff seem to be about £140 for front and back (unfitted) - is that a reasonable price?

It takes about 1.5hours to change the lot if you don't know what you're doing. Cs does the yellowstuff for a very good price. Also brakes4u. Yellowstuff are great value for money :thumbs:

It's very easy, wheel off, two clips that hold retaiining pins in, hold one side of the retaining spring plate and push one of the pins out, remove silver spring plate, other pin out. Open fluid reservoir with rags around to catch any fluid over-spill. Push pistons back if required to remove old pads, new pads with slither of copper grease on the back and edges, put them in, replace one pin, spring plate back in, other pin, put the two clips in and job done.

That's is the basic procedure for the brembo's

It's very easy, wheel off, two clips that hold retaiining pins in, hold one side of the retaining spring plate and push one of the pins out, remove silver spring plate, other pin out. Open fluid reservoir with rags around to catch any fluid over-spill. Push pistons back if required to remove old pads, new pads with slither of copper grease on the back and edges, put them in, replace one pin, spring plate back in, other pin, put the two clips in and job done.

That's is the basic procedure for the brembo's

Bit longer if you do the full monty and take the caliper off, remove the disc, angle grind off the ridges, and score the disc for bedding in. And don't forget to swap the shims from the old pads - like I did. :bangin:

Everything you need to know is in here

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33329

Wow, that's a really good guide!

My pads turned up yesterday so I'm about ready to go with replacing them :D

Do you know if the procedure for the back brakes is similar? My guess is that they are, but my brother keeps suggesting that there is a possibility that they could be different

• 2 weeks later...
Yellowstuff, no question. Incredible pads for the money.

I need some new pads and was given a choice of mintex or padget (German) by my local Bristol garage (main dealer told me £405 to fit front and rear!!). Guess not as good as Yellowstuf but has anyone got experience with these?

Thanks

I need some new pads and was given a choice of mintex or padget (German) by my local Bristol garage (main dealer told me £405 to fit front and rear!!). Guess not as good as Yellowstuf but has anyone got experience with these?

Thanks

I have used mintex on other cars. They are very good. The padget stuff is rubbish, doesnt last long, loads of brake dust, :thumbdown: Go for the mintex :thumbs: But £405 is a lot. The mintex pads are on ebay for just under £40 for a front set.

Thanks

I have used mintex on other cars. They are very good. The padget stuff is rubbish, doesnt last long, loads of brake dust, :thumbdown: Go for the mintex :thumbs: But £405 is a lot. The mintex pads are on ebay for just under £40 for a front set.

Cheers I've been quoted £200ish to supply and fit Mintex which seems pretty good value to me....