Fitted new DBA4000 Front Rotors

Rubber

I had what felt like a warped disc when braking. Brakes were working ok but you could feel the brake slightly pulse when stopping at low speeds. I changed the pads all round for Ferodo DS2500 a couple of months ago. The old pads were a disgrace. I intially though the brakes were better following the change but the pulsing was still there. So, on to Zmanalex again for a new set of front rotors.

Removing the old rotors and the spacers

SDC18842.jpg

This is what the old rotors looked like when they came off...

SDC18860.jpg

Don't look too bad really. But wait, thats only the visible side of the rotors. The engine side looked like this :scare:

SDC18861.jpg

SDC18862.jpg

SDC18854.jpg

SDC18848.jpg

SDC18847.jpg

To be honest I'm not experienced with performing car maintenance myself. However, my father in law is a helicopter mechanic and he's worked on cars all his life so under his guidance things are a doddle. Plus he has a tool for every occassion!

To remove the rotors we:

1) Removed the wheel nuts

2) Removed the wheel spacer (get another person to step on the brake pedal when undoing the nuts for this one)

SDC18843.jpg

3) Unbolted the two large bolts holding the brake caliper in place

4) Slowly pushed the caliper off the rotor (making sure we did not bend the hard brake pipe too much). Then remove the rotor which comes straight off.

The hard brake pipe is shown in this pic. We could have removed the bracket (black) for the brake pipe but we thought it would be easier to leave it in place. Not sure if other people do it this way?

SDC18859.jpg

5) Bolted the caliper back in position to support it while we cleaned up the hub. We used a drill with a wire brush type attachment and some scotch brite to clean up the hub. Also took the opportunity to spray anti-corrosion agent around the brake pipes etc.

SDC18852.jpg

SDC18844.jpg

6) Removed the bolt supporting the brake caliper, slid the rotor into place and bolted everything up. (Should have mentioned that we cleaned the rotor with brake cleaner to remove any anti-corrosion agents before installing the rotor.)

SDC18858.jpg

SDC18856.jpg

Then went though the brake bedding in procedure as per the Stoptech guide in the Guides section. Brakes feel a lot better and the low speed stopping judder appears to have gone away.

So, to sum up:

- This job is very straight forward and you only need basic tools. This total job took about 1 hour. Best to have two people though to get someone to stand on the brake and also when removing the caliper

- Check the condition of the inside of your discs. You can feel them with your hand through the wheel but probaly best to get the wheel off and get your head right in the arch to visually inspect.

FYI - my car is a 30,000 53 plate so not a huge amount of mileage but the car is relatively old.

Thanks to Alex for the new rotors :)

Cheers,

Chris

" RIGHT THAT'S IT" ...............................WTF ARE ROTORS? :angry:

These are rotors...http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=46541. Just like it says on the box :p

To be honest I wasn't even aware I was calling them 'rotors'! I would have always called them 'discs' in the past but I must have been converted by my research on the forum. A search will reveal that both terms are used.

Not sure if there is technically a difference? Is rotor what the Americans call it?

These are rotors...http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=46541. Just like it says on the box :p

To be honest I wasn't even aware I was calling them 'rotors'! I would have always called them 'discs' in the past but I must have been converted by my research on the forum. A search will reveal that both terms are used.

Not sure if there is technically a difference?

There is no difference, as you are well aware, but it doesn't make it right :nono:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49322

There is no difference, as you are well aware, but it doesn't make it right :nono:

:lol::lol:

The amount of time I spend on the phone to the states has given me a bit of a twang...

They don't understand when I say 350 Zed , its a 350 'Zee'.... One woman had to pass my call onto someone else because she didn't understand a word I was saying :blush::lol:

Y'all :dance:

:lol::lol:

The amount of time I spend on the phone to the states has given me a bit of a twang...

They don't understand when I say 350 Zed , its a 350 'Zee'.... One woman had to pass my call onto someone else because she didn't understand a word I was saying :blush::lol:

Y'all :dance:

Think yourself lucky,they don't use Indian call centres :lol:

'Rotors' is the American term for brake discs. The same as in the U.K we don't say 'trunk' when we mean 'boot', or 'fender' when we mean 'wing'.

And whilst we're at it it's spelt: Brake, not break. Disc, not disk.

That's one that has bled through from the eighties computer industry: 'floppy disk'.

Good. Carry on. :lol:

Will be doing mine soon, just waiting on my new low trolley jack to get the dam thing up :thumbs:

Have you put new ferodo pads on too? how much difference over oem parts

Can't really tell you how much an improvement it has made because my discs and pads were in such a bad state :blush: In my particular case it is a big improvement.

Alex - the slight detour to Clarke Motorsport was an eye opener! They had a load of nice cars knocking around in the car park, R33, Impreza, Evo etc. Inside the workshop was spotless. They had a few other interesting projects inside including a stripped out DC5 in progress :) They were servicing an Impreza at the time as well so they do work for us ordinary folk as well!!! For those in Aberdeen they are located in Kintore and may be worth a look....http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/website/index.asp?refID=1&pageType=C