my first attempt at wrapping. advice needed

George Dredd

Today I wrapped a few bits on the zed that were scratched but I made a bit of a pigs ear of one so here is what happened, I started with the b-pillars no problems here, they turned out perfect and look much better.

bpillar2.jpg

bpillar1a.jpg

Next I wrapped the plate around the electric window switches, they are not perfect but compared to what they looked like before, they will be staying for a while.

driverssidewrap.jpg

passengersidewrap.jpg

Ok here is the worst of the bits, its the front bumper bottom lip, it started well and then got a bit messy at the end.

carbonlip.jpg

pigsear.jpg

So on the close up you can see there is a tiny bit of paintwork exposed at the top of the lip and also to the right of the lip and also the vinyl got a bit scrunched. Underneath the vinyl is a 5 inch scratch which imo looks worse than the mentioned bits, do you think I should rip it off and re-expose the scratch, or do I get a thin strip of something to run along the top and down the side where the vinyl ends(maybe black paint with a really fine brush). I don't know what to do, I'm off to japfest on Saturday and wanted the car looking better, now I'm thinking does it look worse or is it a case of its bugging me because I know its there?

So what's your opinion?

I had a car previously with the front wrapped, it got a rip in the vinyl on day two (bad luck!) and they put a patch on it which overall looked more obvious than that, within a few days I had forgotten about it and like Grover says you will barely notice it.

Sterling work though, I am going to have a go at my centre console soon as well...great stuff wrapping as its all reversible should you balls it up!

I had a car previously with the front wrapped, it got a rip in the vinyl on day two (bad luck!) and they put a patch on it which overall looked more obvious than that, within a few days I had forgotten about it and like Grover says you will barely notice it.

Sterling work though, I am going to have a go at my centre console soon as well...great stuff wrapping as its all reversible should you balls it up!

Mate, I was planning on doing the centre console too but after trying wrapping fo the first time I think I will give it a miss, it is quite tedious and even the graphics guy that I bought it from would not even give me a quote to do the centre console and he does it for a living!

Thanks for the input so far guys.

I have heard horror stories about the centre console...I am a details kinda guy (Im a researcher!) so no problem spending hours working round the edges. I am going to start at the bottom and work my way up, the gear surround should be ok, I will hone my skills with that...if it fails, it fails and I rip it off! :surrender:

thats coming on well,

you'll be the only one who notices the corner as you did the work, others won't, but worst case scenario you could always re wrap it.

as for the switches if you use a fine scalpel you can trim round the switch areas and hand grip for a neater finish.

the dash isn't to bad, but the key is the prep work, it needs to be clean and wiped down with something like lighter fluid to de grease and remove any contaminantes from cleaning products etc.

I can supply a real carbon fibre centre lip cover if you are interested. :thumbs:

Drop me a PM.

Thanks for the offer mate but I only paid twenty quid for that vinyl and managed to do all those bits, now I'm saving my dough for japfest I'm after a nice new gearknob, just hope there is someone selling them there. :thumbs:

The centre console was the first part I wrapped and it certainly isn't easy but is doable with some patience. I found it was easiest to start from the middle and lay as much vinyl down without heating it. Mines not 100% perfect but a massive improvement from before :thumbs:

Heres the results :p

7da731ed.jpg

Looks really good :thumbs: . Mine has quite a few scratches on here too despite me being super careful, wrapping seems to be a good solution.

driverssidewrap.jpg

Pete

+1 Looks really nice need to get round to doing mine, they're scratched to hell atm :yuck:

scotty i like the use of the alternate weave looks the best i've seen in a long time.

i can supply people with vinyl if they want it. got a whole range of finishes not just black carbon.

some special colours i can get are:

Flip colours (changes colour depending on the light; think TVR paint)

white carbon

gold carbon

silver carbon

red carbon

blue carbon

crocodile skin

sequins

and stock colours like on the roof wrap page i set up.

The centre console was the first part I wrapped and it certainly isn't easy but is doable with some patience. I found it was easiest to start from the middle and lay as much vinyl down without heating it. Mines not 100% perfect but a massive improvement from before :thumbs:

7da731ed.jpg

I look at that picture and think I have to give it a try, it looks perfect mate and so much better than standard. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

7da731ed.jpg

That looks like a tidy job mate. But the only thing I notice... is why didnt you make sure the weave was running the same way at every part of the dash?

gotta be impossible to line up the stripes across all three sections.

I think you did it spot on the right way!

Would look good if you did it the other way, so they were all facing the same... but I recon impossible to get perfect... and would look awful if it was even slightly off.

Great job! :thumbs:

I managed to wrap my gear surround, it came out very well, then failed miserabley on the rest of the centre console. It just wouldnt stick down, maybe I took too long and the adhesive went. Also when I cut around the cubby hole etc it seemed to leave a bit of a ragged edge which bugged me a bit. Yours looks B) though!

gotta be impossible to line up the stripes across all three sections.

I think you did it spot on the right way!

Would look good if you did it the other way, so they were all facing the same... but I recon impossible to get perfect... and would look awful if it was even slightly off.

Great job! :thumbs:

As if by magic :lol:

console.jpg

I managed to wrap my gear surround, it came out very well, then failed miserabley on the rest of the centre console. It just wouldnt stick down, maybe I took too long and the adhesive went. Also when I cut around the cubby hole etc it seemed to leave a bit of a ragged edge which bugged me a bit. Yours looks B) though!

I had the exact same problem :lol: it's a real pain to do. I bought some 3m primer 94 - makes the vinyl stick much better. Took me two try's and several hours to crack the centre console :surrender: