Racism.....

Sarnie

Discussions like this and cars don't mix IMO.

Posting that thread will also only stir up trouble sarnie, since you are clearly at odds with Giles. Don't exercise your frustration by causing another forum war :dry:

Re-post over there would be my advice :)

Not looking to cause any forum wars at all. This goes beyond the petty divide of a car forum. In fact various people have been in touch, from both forums, to offer support. My intention to only cast the net further is gain opinions.

I wouldn't bother posting any topics to do with racism; religion, nationalism etc on internet forums, especially on car ones, as it will achieve nothing. It will not change anyones opinions, nor enlighten anyone, nor make yourself popular. Iv seen it time & time again over on the BMW forum. (iv even got involved myself!). Best is lets just stick to cars, cars & babes!!!! :victory:

I swear when I read Giles said that the site believes in a certain ammount of free speech, I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. But thats probably a little off topic.

On the racism front, its probably only likely to end in heated debateand a locked topic, but I was watching an american comedy this morning before I went to work. Its called Everyone Loves Raymond (8.00am on chanel 4 each morning).

The main character is a white late thirties guy, and in this particular episode he helped out in a hospital, and in trying to pursuade an elderly black american woman take her tablets, he said if she wanted to get into the press box at an event she needs to get better, and if she wants to get better she needs to takeher tablets.

She then agrees, and says "you are a tricky little white boy aren't you".

This was just one example I have seen, but why is this tollerated, while a very similar coment made by Clarkson is subject to scrutinisation?

We have only banned one member from this website, and it was for making racially motivated derogatory comments, and they were made against a "white" person. So we take it seriously no matter who the agressor or offended party.

Guest prescience

This was just one example I have seen, but why is this tollerated, while a very similar coment made by Clarkson is subject to scrutinisation?

Simple. White people have never suffered racial discrimination.

Tell that to the England cricket team in about 3 hours time ;)

And if you think that isn't, see the 3rd para ;)

http://www.cre.gov.uk/legal/discrimination.html

Simple. White people have never suffered racial discrimination.

Tell that to the England cricket team in about 3 hours time ;)

And if you think that isn't, see the 3rd para ;)

http://www.cre.gov.uk/legal/discrimination.html

Discrimination is different to racial abuse. Pretty sure the england cricketers will get plenty of anti english 'racial abuse' via the crowd or sledging. Racial discrimination is the prevention or exclusion of people of ethnic minorities being treated equally alongside every other ethnic group.

I would disagree with that statement 100% Its definatly NOT to do with ethnic minorities.

IMO The white applicants going for the recent job in the police where they got refused due to them not being an ethnic minority (to help make the numbers look better) was racial discrimination. They were the majority!

I would disagree with that statement 100% Its definatly NOT to do with ethnic minorities.

IMO The white applicants going for the recent job in the police where they got refused due to them not being an ethnic minority (to help make the numbers look better) was racial discrimination. They were the majority!

I 100% agree with you. That is disgraceful. Nobody wants to given a job, they want to earn it.

My point was the difference between racial abuse and racial discrimination. I don't profess to be a bloody pioneer for racial equality blah blah blah, I just thought Clarkson's comment was not only bizarre but very distasteful for someone in the public eye like him :thumbdown:

Clarkson's comments seem to be capable of several different interpretations (apparently) but what is clear is that he should have been aware that they could be interpreted as offensive thus making his decision to use the phrase crass and insensitive. But when had he given a toss about upsetting anyone?

As for the OC thread, I couldn't see that Sarnie was out of order but despite some particularly inflammatory comments Gaz seemed to receive no censure from the mods. :dry:

Clarkson's comments seem to be capable of several different interpretations (apparently) but what is clear is that he should have been aware that they could be interpreted as offensive thus making his decision to use the phrase crass and insensitive. But when had he given a toss about upsetting anyone?

As for the OC thread, I couldn't see that Sarnie was out of order but despite some particularly inflammatory comments Gaz seemed to receive no censure from the mods. :dry:

Thats because he's paid his £35 :thumbs: Once thats paid they'll defend your corner throught thick and thin :thumbs: Even racism :thumbdown:

Thats because he's paid his £35 :thumbs: Once thats paid they'll defend your corner throught thick and thin :thumbs: Even racism :thumbdown:

Well, mate, being here for the short time I have, I don't think you'll get that sort of treatment here. :) One of the good points about not having a an "Elitist" members section.

Well, mate, being here for the short time I have, I don't think you'll get that sort of treatment here. :) One of the good points about not having a an "Elitist" members section.

:thumbs::)

I didn't think your posts were offensive in the slightest but I did disagree with your interpretation of Clarkson's comment.

On the above - rubbish. :)

Thats ok :thumbs: Its going to look different from inside the of goldfish bowl looking out.