Japspeed K2 exhaust fitted - rattle when cold?

Daze

Hey guys,

Finally got round to fitting my K2 Japspeed system yesterday, went all well, but now for the first 2-5 mins when driving the car, when cold, it rattles really bad!

When I say rattles, it sounds like the exhaust or something is physically hitting other parts of the car. When it was in the air I inspected everything with the exhaust and it sits quite far away from anything that could possibly come into contact with it.

It sounds like its coming from just below the dash, near my feet area. So maybe decat's hitting something? :wacko:

Once warm, literally after 5 mins of driving, it doesn't do it at all.

I've searched around a bit but haven't yet found any solutions.

Thanks! :teeth:

Check at the rear by the pipes - on the drivers side there is a plastic cover that rattles against some exhausts.

I had this with my Nur spec & it drove me nuts until I found it

Check at the rear by the pipes - on the drivers side there is a plastic cover that rattles against some exhausts.

I had this with my Nur spec & it drove me nuts until I found it

I will have a look at this, this evening.

However, I really don't think its near the rear at all. This sounds like its coming directly from below the floor under my seat area. And its very very noticeable indeed, more like a clunk/bang rather than a gentle rattle noise...?

Could also be knocking against the W brace.

I'm sure someone else had the same issue with a Japspeed, might have been Bulletmagnet?

:dry: What I was thinking, indeed. When I was fitting it I was looking at how close it was, but as I tightened up the bolts it seemed to pull itself up and quite far away from it. Might have another check.

I also noticed that the standard cats had a gearbox brace on them, whereas the Japspeed datcats have no bracket on them to re-attach this...? :headhurt:

Wouldnt this have to be a exhaust problem as they only happen for the first couple of mins when cold , if it was a rattle from being loose itvwould happen all the time ?

Well the car was completely noseless and rattle-free until fitting the exhaust yesterday. Like 110% completely noseless, literally no noises :)

I think it could be something to do with the exhaust expanding when it gets hotter, then the rattle and noise goes away.

Had the vibration thing, but only with the K1.

The heat thing sounds like what my mate had when he had his K2, turned out to be a loose y-pipe heatshield that ha corroded thru the rivets, exhaust change must have disturbed it, hence creating the rattle.

Once the flimsy heatshield were removed, all was well again.

hope this helps

Had the vibration thing, but only with the K1.

The heat thing sounds like what my mate had when he had his K2, turned out to be a loose y-pipe heatshield that ha corroded thru the rivets, exhaust change must have disturbed it, hence creating the rattle.

Once the flimsy heatshield were removed, all was well again.

hope this helps

Ah wicked, boom. that sounds about right!

I'll have a wiggle of everything later and see what's loose and go from there then.

At the moment I can't imagine it being a heatsheild in all honestly, its quite a loud/harsh rattle, sounds like the physical exhaust is hitting stuff, rather than a heatsheild rattling.

However, I guess best bet is to get under the car again and have another look :)

I'll post up what I find!

Had a rattle on my old Zed with the K1 (only with the bungs in - with the bungs out i couldn't hear ANYTHING lol)

Fix was to drop the W strut brace under the car about 5-10mm on washers. The centre pipe for the K1 isnt a good fit at all - suspect similar issues with the K2? The centre pipe had about 1cm clearance when first fitted, but must have vibrated enough on the move to hit the W brace causing the annoying rattle on my old car.

i have this, mine is definatly a rattle in the rear pipes though, the lining in the tail pipe is a bit loose and rattles. it drives me potty!

You might want to speak to Japspeed about getting it replaced - they swapped mine out for free as I had this exact problem.

When it was in the air I inspected everything with the exhaust and it sits quite far away from anything that could possibly come into contact with it.

Was it in the air on a drive on ramp/lift or a two poster or jacks.

If not held up via the wheels then any clearance you see is not the same as when it sits on the wheels/suspension.

i have this, mine is definatly a rattle in the rear pipes though, the lining in the tail pipe is a bit loose and rattles. it drives me potty!

You might want to speak to Japspeed about getting it replaced - they swapped mine out for free as I had this exact problem.

i dont think i can, its second hand as i brought it off of a forum member. and also well over a year old