LSD Oil Change

alibongo

Is there really any advantage to changing the LSD oil in the OE viscouis diff though? The biggest issue on a Zed thats a few years old is gonna be the likelyhood that the silicon fluid in the diff has already sheared several times and the OE diff is acting like an open diff. So not really sure of the benefit of changing the oil in the pumpkin. :headhurt:

If theres someone out there that could enlighten me I'd be most greatfull.

Is there really any advantage to changing the LSD oil in the OE viscouis diff though? The biggest issue on a Zed thats a few years old is gonna be the likelyhood that the silicon fluid in the diff has already sheared several times and the OE diff is acting like an open diff. So not really sure of the benefit of changing the oil in the pumpkin. :headhurt:

If theres someone out there that could enlighten me I'd be most greatfull.

I am pretty sure I read something on the US forums mentioning the need to use genuine NISSAN oil to preserve specific metal component on the Zed's Diff. could be copper but I am not 100% sure. use after market stuff and u will end up with an open diff it seems.

Ali

I had it done on my P3 with non NISSAN oils and the first thing I noticed is 1st gear crunching when cold. I iniyially thought that the synchro is gone but changed it back to recommended stuff and its a different gearbox altogether. well worth doing and shouldn't take long. a suction pump for a tenner from halfords, set of washers and a pm to alex and you should be good to go. also make sure to take off the filler bolts before the drainage ones in both the diff and gearbox

Cant see how changing the differential oil effects the gearbox........

The issue with copper based bearings is that the EP oils corrode /effect the copper element in Phospher/bronze (copper based) bearind when they get very hot... so mainly an issue with 1020's cars as they have phospher bronze bearings in g/box and diff ...oh and laycock overdrive units (MGB)

In conclusion change the oil as its a good kind thing to do but use the right stuff...its not difficult now..

You have me worried now.

I changed my gearbox and diff oil about a year and a half ago.

Gearbox has Millers TRX Synthetic 75w90

Diff has Motul Gear 300 which is also a high quality 75w90.

Is my car ruined :(

This topic has been covered many times on the forum.

So once more :lol:

IMHO best to use Genuine Nissan Fluids.

For 6 speed manual transmissions use MT-XZ fluid: SAE 75W-85-API GL4+

For VLSD Differential use SAE J306: 80W-90 API GL-5

All in stock and good to go. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

You have me worried now.

Thanks Alex, I appreciate an experienced opinion.

However it's not what is best for the car I'm concerned with so much as whether I will cause any active harm with what is in there at the moment. If it's not the best then it can wait for the next service or so, if on the other hand I'm ruining something with totally unsuitable fluids then I want to get it out quick!

You have me worried now.

However it's not what is best for the car I'm concerned with so much as whether I will cause any active harm with what is in there at the moment. If it's not the best then it can wait for the next service or so, if on the other hand I'm ruining something with totally unsuitable fluids then I want to get it out quick!

Millers and Motul make some very good fluids, however I am not sure if these fluids are correct or 100% suitable for your particular application.

There are many members on here who have added after market fluids only to find that they are not really suitable and they have had issues. Most have been caught in time and the fluids drained and refilled with fluids that Nissan recommend for the 350Z.

Better safe than sorry would be my thinking mate. :thumbs:

You have me worried now.

Millers and Motul make some very good fluids, however I am not sure if these fluids are correct or 100% suitable for your particular application.

There are many members on here who have added after market fluids only to find that they are not really suitable and they have had issues. Most have been caught in time and the fluids drained and refilled with fluids that Nissan recommend for the 350Z.

Better safe than sorry would be my thinking mate. :thumbs:

Thanks Alex, PM on the way :)

Cant see how changing the differential oil effects the gearbox........

The issue with copper based bearings is that the EP oils corrode /effect the copper element in Phospher/bronze (copper based) bearind when they get very hot... so mainly an issue with 1020's cars as they have phospher bronze bearings in g/box and diff ...oh and laycock overdrive units (MGB)

In conclusion change the oil as its a good kind thing to do but use the right stuff...its not difficult now..

changing diff oil will not affect gearbox, it was more of a suggestion to change both whilst he's down there :thumbs: