Miles for work.... HIGH MPG!

slimjim

Been commuting to Wigan and back this week... :yuck:

'bout 100 miles each way. Extensive use to cruise control for accelerating AND braking (so I only using engine braking) has given me my first tank of ...

AVERAGING OVER 31MPG!!!!! :scare::yahoo:

No, it isn't exactly the way I SHOULD be driving it. But as it was on work time and I am only getting 45p a mile... I want to get my monies worth

Anyway... is 31.8ish mpg something to be proud of? Or have people managed much more than that on a complete tank?

(p.s. anyone else's company starting ot pay 45p a mile as of April 1st? HMRC have changes the allowance apparently!)

Only had the car a matter of weeks, but I managed 32mpg driving to London from Manchester city centre (and back).

That was giving it full beans on slip roads and M6 Toll etc.

To make long motorway journeys more interesting I always challenge myself to avoid using the pedals as much as possible. The 'Cancel' button becomes the brakes :#1:

Mines not in daily use yet, but going out for odd blasts during the weekday lunchtimes means I get nothing like 30mpg...

I too tend to use cruise on long motorway hauls and try and avoid touching any pedals, keeps you alert if nothing else! Bloody handy for those endless stretches of roadwork 40s & 50s and SPECS camera avoidance.

Thanks for the heads up on the HMRC rates - they have indeed changed as of this financial year. I get nowhere near the HMRC rate, although on the 17th April our rate went from 37.4 to 37.7 p per mile! Wow... At least that means I can claim a bit more back from HMRC next year.

And for some odd reason my lot lower the rate at 7000 miles per annum too.

Still, I'm still in profit and will also get paid to use the Zed, can't be bad...

I took my Zed to Abbey on Tuesday 115 miles.

I had the supercharger disconnected and managed 32 mpg at an average speed of 62mph ish I think it was. I was pretty impressed. I had the cruise on for most of it set at 85 leptons when the roads were clear.

Something I did notice regarding the cruise control was when 'engine braking' using the cancel, the engine was still using fuel as my AFR gauge was still showing a bit of fuel in the mix so I'm not sure it completely shuts the injectors when in cruise.

If I hit the cruise off button instead it would go off the scale lean so must assume not using any fuel....in the same way as if I was to release the accelerator during normal driving.

45p per mile!!!!

rules have changed for the Army aswell,

WAS:-

under 1.25l = 12.5ppm

over 1.25l+ = 25ppm

NOW:-

All engine sizes = 25ppm :thumbdown:

where is the over 3l bracket i keep asking, only to be told 'buy a smaller engined car!' :bang:

hhhhmmmmmm nope ;)

ive had 32-34mpg on a few long haul motorway trips, but i get a heavy foot when the traffic lets me.. :p

• 2 weeks later...
pffft, you call that economy - THIS is economy.....

30e4ef2c.jpg

Crappy picture but it was displaying 97.2 MPG

:lol:

easliy got if you reset the computer then coast down a long hill at speed on a motorway

I know, i know - was only messing around :blush:

I haven't reset mine for about 500+ miles and it has averaged out at about 22mpg :(. Then again, my old 1.6 Fiesta averaged at 28mpg as I had to floor it to get it up to speed, also I drove that car pretty aggressively.

I haven't reset mine for about 500+ miles and it has averaged out at about 22mpg :(. Then again, my old 1.6 Fiesta averaged at 28mpg as I had to floor it to get it up to speed, also I drove that car pretty aggressively.

That's not very good, do you do a lot of town driving?

I average 21 mpg with a supercharger with a mixture of town and A-roads and I'm not light on the throttle.

That's not very good, do you do a lot of town driving?

I average 21 mpg with a supercharger with a mixture of town and A-roads and I'm not light on the throttle.

A lot of town driving...A lot of the journeys are 5 mile runs here or there so no time to stick it in 6th and sit back. If I do a 50 mile drive and reset the trip computer, I think it may get to 26mpg+ :lol:.

31 mpg is very easy to get over a long journey even sat at 70. I used to get 33-35 when I did a mg challenge a fee months back. Throttle controller on eco5 never using more than 15-20% throttle using the engine to brake and sitting at 60 on motorways.

Was bloody boring though! Alright for in the winter months but summer came and so did a few mods :evil:

WTF?

I am averaging 21.8, so she tells me.

I did ask her why it was so low, but all I got in reply was, "PARDON?"

I drive about 10 miles to work which is 9 miles motorway and 1 mile urban. I rarely go over 75 on the motorway!

I have had an indicated 37mpg once, after cruising about 67mph. An instantaneous mpg readout would be good.

Recently I drove very fast on some tight twisties and my fuel gauge stayed the same and mpg didn't budge - so now I am driving faster everywhere. Why not...

WTF?

I am averaging 21.8, so she tells me.

I did ask her why it was so low, but all I got in reply was, "PARDON?"

I drive about 10 miles to work which is 9 miles motorway and 1 mile urban. I rarely go over 75 on the motorway!

I have had an indicated 37mpg once, after cruising about 67mph. An instantaneous mpg readout would be good.

Recently I drove very fast on some tight twisties and my fuel gauge stayed the same and mpg didn't budge - so now I am driving faster everywhere. Why not...

I THINK that is because it it an average over the last time you reset it

If you reset the MPG when you fill up (or at specific time) you will get an average of when you last reset it

Am I right with that guys?

I always reset mine after filling to the brim, then I know what average I get per tank.