Repalcement for Zed - suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Sylvester

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was taking my family out and about and I could afford it, I'd go Volvo V70 T5 (or D5) or a Merc AMG / big diesel. All the little bits that make driving a pleasureable experience plus safe in the knowledge you're safe.

I agree on the mileage front, that's why that C32 seemed like a bargain! Under £20k for that, I'd have it if I needed one!

Are you getting close to a short list yet?? :D

• 1 month later...

Sporty Subaru Legacy would be good, heard that it's better than the Impreza! Not chav in the slightest either.

I don't like beemers either however the 330i is good and the 330d is rapid - I wouldn't discount a diesel until you've tried it! Also M5 if you'll go a few years older - 400bhp and RWD.

Audi A4 (The S4 please...) is good however not too roomy in the back! I tried a 3.0 quattro and it was pretty decent.

I'm not a hatchback kind of guy so I don't get excited about them. Think that the A3 is overpriced however the R32 is nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Sylvester you made a decision yet?

Ok its not my choice but seems to fit the bill of everything you're looking for: my mate has been checking out a Mazda 6 MPS. 2.3 turbo, 0-60 6.6 secs which isn't slow in anyones book. Fully kitted out, 18" wheels, the only option you pay for is sat nav (hey, its even got memory elec seats as standard!), from a dealer with 4 miles on it (yes 4 miles) - a shade under £20k.

Don't know what it drives like, he hasn't been out in it yet, may be worth a look though?????

i know you said 4 door but the DC5 integra has good rear seat size and a huge bootspace, you could pick up a 06 plate for £16 - 17k and even though they are only 220bhp front wheel drive they are bloddy quick as they are much lighter than the z.

:thumbs:

Hi guys,

thanks for all the ideas - sorry not replied sooner - been a bad couple of weeks with illness for me, the wife, the baby and then father-in-law - what a great crimbo/New Year we all had..... :thumbdown:

Not decided yet... trouble is for the money nothing comes close to the Zed for the performance and looks and sound and fun and relatively low costs and fits in the garage and....yadadada.

If I had the money I think I would go for a Golf R32 with some toys but that is near 30K new and not much cheaper 2nd hand and I can't put that much more money in over what I will get for the Zed ( I am assuming something in the region of £18K for a Sept 2004 GT with 12K miles and details in sig - what do you reckon ? ).

Latest thoughts were Focus ST3... but depreciation is grim. So maybe a Golf GTi, but that's just, well, boring really... I still get a buzz whenever I drive the Zed - even to the shops - and I hate the thought of just having a 'car'...

Oh well - thankfully not in a hurry to change...

Maybe I could get away with just 2 doors and 4 seats if the access to the rear was good ...hmmm now what avenues dues that open..........

Monaro must be quite a bit bigger than the Zed though .....

Zed is the biggest ( widthwise ) that I can fit in the garage. I could manage a couple of extra inches on the length....... but then again who couldn't ;)

Yep an M3 is a possibility but (a) image :thumbdown: (B) to get one for that price it will need to be highish mileage and age and that means high costs... :surrender:

Must admit to having a huge blindspot for Mercs...

Think the golf and focus look fine as 5 doors... M3 agreed

I have been far to rude to friends with Volvos in the past to go down that route and its too big.

Never heard too many good things about Saabs.

Mondeo is a possibility but if the focus is big enough then don't need the extra space for the sake of it and expect it sheds money even quicker than the focus.

You said £20k? You can get a good used ST220 for £13k. A friend of mine was considering one.

I'm not a big Merc fan, (don't like the old man image even over the BMW man image). Although I like the CLK 55, and CLS. How about a used CL500. A lot of car for not much money used.

You said £20k? You can get a good used ST220 for £13k. A friend of mine was considering one.

I'm not a big Merc fan, (don't like the old man image even over the BMW man image). Although I like the CLK 55, and CLS. How about a used CL500. A lot of car for not much money used.

CL is a good call! Pimp daddy! Probably too big for the garage though.

The Jag was a good call. Can get it in manual too.

Skyline GTS-T or even a GTR is easily doable at that money. Or how about a G35 import?

Think the golf and focus look fine as 5 doors... M3 agreed

I have been far to rude to friends with Volvos in the past to go down that route and its too big.

Never heard too many good things about Saabs.

Mondeo is a possibility but if the focus is big enough then don't need the extra space for the sake of it and expect it sheds money even quicker than the focus.

Each to their own. The current Focus is the same size as the original Mondeo so it may as well have 5 doors..... Just think if a car comes in 2/3 door, that should be it!! ;)

Being rude in the past shouldn't stop you from getting a decent car. New V50 is even better, built on the Focus floor plan so it's got the handling sorted at last!

As for losing money, if you pick up something 2-3 years old, they'll have depreciated a good 35-50% already. Any car will lose a bit of wedge, especially since interest rates are likely to go up again in the next few months.....

• 2 months later...

OK - update time ( although I expect you are all bored with this by now... ).

Following a grim couple of months healthwise the Mrs and I are starting to get our lives back together and making plans ( dont you just LOVE it when the Mrs starts making plans..... ). Anyway, we(!) have now decided that the Mrs is going to keep her current Corolla ( it does her fine running around town ) and my next car will now not only need to allow me to transport current budle of joy at times but also deal with trips to Wales for family visits and holidays and erm... be able to cope with potential future additions to the family.... :surrender:

So in typical negotiation style I agreed I would take the hit and get an estate car ....as long as it has got some poke....and of course to get that I need a bigger budget than originally planned ( told you I was working on that side of things..... . :yahoo:

So, I now have my car plus £10K give or take ( probably best not to push things so lets say £10K or take ).

Car as per sig below with 13K on the clock - so I reckon in the region of £17K trade in giving me a budget of £27K.

Criteria... as much poke as possible ( guide - 0-60 less than 7 seconds ) but....

Needs to fit in the garage so as wide as the Zed plus 2cm max ( so 1730mm) Length should be ok as I can go up to 4800mm but I don't need all that ( hence looking at small estates really ).

Need to have good residuals ( So no French crap )

Needs to be reliable ( So no Italian rubbish )

I need to keep running costs as low as possible ( so no high mileage exotic types like an RS2 )

Ideally less than £20K miles.

Some Warranty left would be nice.

I know it takes the T5 out the list but no Volvos... I could not live with the ribbing my 2 mates would give me ( both Volvo owners ) for all the years I have taken the **** out of them while I have had sports cars... )

Probably some others I cant remember right now...

So... short list I have come up with is

18 month old BMW 3 Touring 330i ( I know I said I was averse to the BMW image but anyone else think the Touring image is different to the M3 image ? )

18 month old BMW 3 Touring 330d ( I know I said no diesels but this thing is bloody quick and good mpg.... might struggle at the price though as they are a bit more expensive than the 330i )

3 or 4 year old Audi S4 Avant ( Probably a bit near the exotic/expensive side and will need to be higher mileage to afford one... but I would love to own a V8 sometime in my life..... )

3 or 4 year old C32 AMG Estate ( mega fast in a straight line but crap in the corners ? Plus also maybe v expensive to maintain.. )

I've ditched everything else I could think of due to not meeting the criteria above or sheer predjudice but let me know if I have missed something.

Anyone diven/owned any of the above ? Comments ?