Repalcement for Zed - suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Sylvester

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X type Jag estate...lot of car for the money , plus four wheel drive :)

But I am only 43 years old and have no plans to grow up anytime soon :p

Kidding ( a bit ). Possibly a better financial prospect initially for performance/toys per pound second hand than the above although not sure long term. Performance only just creeps in under the limit (6.9) for the manual 3.0V6 too. Worth thinking about if I could get a great deal ( ie including the optional tartan slippers ).

The new M5 Touring looks good but a bit expensive. DMS do some nice diesel conversions for the 330d and 335d engines and the gains are significant.

From your list I would reluctantly say Audi, but I'm not a big Audi fan. To me they are expensive VW's, Seat's and Skoda's etc.

I can't think of anything else which would fit as you need an estate. You could consider an X5, say a 3.0d. A firend's just bought one and he says it' really does feel liek a car. They hold the price so well too. Why not a 5 series 335d? You could also consider a Cayenne?... :scare:

• 2 weeks later...

OK having considered the estates have decided against them mainly cos they were too expensive to get the performance or would be too old/high mileage. Think there is a lot of mileage (sic) in looking at a family size car and using some roof rack extra storage solution for the few times a year it is needed.

Now don't laugh but I am looking quite favourably at the moment at the Mazda 6MPS.

Other than a bit dull in the looks department ( I can overcome that by convincing myself it has Q-car attributes ) it has strong performance, loads of toys, 4wd ( safety in mind given its job ), good dealer reputation and reliability and its quite cheap - I can get fully loaded new within my budget.

Discuss.... :thumbs::thumbdown:

OK having considered the estates have decided against them mainly cos they were too expensive to get the performance or would be too old/high mileage. Think there is a lot of mileage (sic) in looking at a family size car and using some roof rack extra storage solution for the few times a year it is needed.

Now don't laugh but I am looking quite favourably at the moment at the Mazda 6MPS.

Other than a bit dull in the looks department ( I can overcome that by convincing myself it has Q-car attributes ) it has strong performance, loads of toys, 4wd ( safety in mind given its job ), good dealer reputation and reliability and its quite cheap - I can get fully loaded new within my budget.

Discuss.... :thumbs::thumbdown:

.....anyway, enough of this crazy talk. How about a nice 2.7TT S4 Avant?

Yeah agreed... after sleeping on it ok its got lots of space and toys and is good value for money but I would struggle to live with the dull looks and apparently after 3 years it would be worth a massive 30% of original value :scare: Also read some rather scary descriptions about how the electronics decide what mode of chassis set up it is going to use ( normal or sport or snow or something like that...) which would be fine if it did not change half way round a corner!!!

Leaning towards a manual Golf R32 now. ( Review of the DSG gearbox in latest EVO was quite dmming I thought ). With the space problem fixable via roof mounted thule type box for the few times a year I will need it I don't need anything bigger ( and the Golf is quite a big car these days anyway ... and it'll fit easily in the garage). I can even get a new one with several extras within my budget. Residuals are excellent. Its very safe - really like the idea you get rear curtain airbags as standard and can specify rear side airbags as option. Goes OK. Want the security and all year round ability of 4WD ( yesterdays snow was scary! )

Need to sort out a test drive.

You know that in all my investigations looking at a huge range of cars not one comes anywhere close to looking as great as the Zed. Parked it clean and in the sun for the first time for months the other day and looked back at it and thought to myself I am really gonna miss just looking at her... :blush:

Yeah agreed... after sleeping on it ok its got lots of space and toys and is good value for money but I would struggle to live with the dull looks and apparently after 3 years it would be worth a massive 30% of original value :scare: Also read some rather scary descriptions about how the electronics decide what mode of chassis set up it is going to use ( normal or sport or snow or something like that...) which would be fine if it did not change half way round a corner!!!

Leaning towards a manual Golf R32 now. ( Review of the DSG gearbox in latest EVO was quite dmming I thought ). With the space problem fixable via roof mounted thule type box for the few times a year I will need it I don't need anything bigger ( and the Golf is quite a big car these days anyway ... and it'll fit easily in the garage). I can even get a new one with several extras within my budget. Residuals are excellent. Its very safe - really like the idea you get rear curtain airbags as standard and can specify rear side airbags as option. Goes OK. Want the security and all year round ability of 4WD ( yesterdays snow was scary! )

Need to sort out a test drive.

You know that in all my investigations looking at a huge range of cars not one comes anywhere close to looking as great as the Zed. Parked it clean and in the sun for the first time for months the other day and looked back at it and thought to myself I am really gonna miss just looking at her... :blush:

No match for the Zed but I have to say if I were going the sensible route the R32 would be high on my list. Do you really need the 4wd though because they reckon the GTI is just as fast and the better car with a significant saving?

Thanks Digsy.

I know what you mean ref the GTi - several mags say save your money cos the R32 is not any/much quicker and is 4 grand more and the Gti is a sweeter drive.

I may not be right on this but I have always thought/assumed that 4WD will be safer than front wheel drive given 6 months of the year we have inclement weather. Assuming they wear the same rubber I think cornering grip (constant speed) and braking will be slightly less in the 4WD due to to the extra weight but I am assuming that any kind of speed change while cornering would be safer and traction would be considerably better especially in the wet.

I think the R32 looks a bit better than the Gti ( which looks a bit boring according to the Mrs ) and the R32 will be far less common.

Also I have never owned a 4WD car and always like to try something new in the next car - although 4K just for this is a bit much.

Perhaps more importantly my manhood would object to having less than 200BHP now.... ;) It would also always bug me that I had not bought the top of the range..

Oh and I have always spent as much on cars as I could afford or the Mrs would allow so buying the Gti when I could get the R32 would be a bit of a waste ...lol

Then again 4K buys a lot of skiing.....

So, if anyone has any view on 4wd vs FWD then would be interested to hear. Thanks

Sly, I agree with you. Get the R32. Ok, it's 4 grand more, but you're right about the top of the range aspect. If you're sitting at lights in a GTI and an R32 pulls along side you, you'd be like "F*ck, I wish I'd gone for the R32." Same analogy with the Porsche Cayman. I'd rather spend a little more money on a good 2nd hand 911.

I've never driven an R32, but my last car was an S3 which is similar and although it was the Audi Quattro 4WD system and not the 4-Motion VW system, it's still VAG, so I have no doubts it'll be faultless.