Toyo R888's and Yoko Advan Neovas

Stroudy

Has anybody got or tried any of these two types on a Zed?

Finding it difficult to find our standard sizes at the mo. Did search but didnt find a gread deal on here about use of them.

The 888's are getting some brilliant reviews, some bloke has been using them on his daily driver M5 and loves them.. even ok in the wet so long as you're not an idiot.

Any thought??

I've used the R888's over the past 4K to 5K miles and 2 track days and all I can say is they are a fantastic track tyre. Put a small bit of temp into them and they'll buy you a couple of seconds per lap over road tyres even in the damp/slightly wet.

You do need to be a bit of a hero though to use these on an everyday basis - perhaps during the summer they'll be just fine but once heavy rain or temps of under 10degrees celsius start then you'll want to be on your guard.

The biggest surprise for me is that despite two trackdays and approx 4-5K miles there still loads left on them - I would have killed a set of road tyres under the same circumstances esp during track use.

They do look well too - B)

Feb11backup244.jpg

Aug2010backup193.jpg

AD08 Neovas I assume? I'd still take the R888s anyday, mainly before the EU ban them in the next year or so. As long as you're not being an idiot then they're fine for everyday use as Steady Zeddy says.

Agree with Steve on this one.

R888s are grossly overpriced and quite frankly are not really suited to the ZED as they fall apart after a really agressive track session.

Better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Alex. :)

What would you guys use? I've not found a better track tyre than the 888s (well, that will fit the Zed anyway, I don't think the A048s come in Zed sizes).

They're no cheaper than the PS2s or RE050As, so I don't think cost is really an issue. :)

r888's last year went from 580 ish to 1100 for the sizes i want, and you dont see the benifit of them until there is sufficient heat in them, at which point if your on a nice circuit then great they are a decent tyre, on the road however you would destroy them if you managed to get heat into them...

yoko's can be got in the right size though i dont know where, dunlop do a nice r888 type tyre but it isnt road legal.

This probably won't be much help but I have these tyres respectively on a Caterham and an Elise. The 888s in warm weather on a very light car (e.g 500-750kg) are heroic and preserve ride quality but tramline quite a bit, albeit less than some other similar tyres.

In this context, however, my concerns would be twofold - 1) They are both very difficult in cool/cold weather 2) I am not sure they are well suited to a heavy car like the Z, in terms of ability to handle the forces involved - but I'm not 100% sure about that in the light of some of the earlier postings.

... and quite frankly are not really suited to the ZED as they fall apart after a really agressive track session.

......Alex. :)

I think perhaps if you own a 600bhp+ Zed and have a built engine and a good oil cooling system then yeah perhaps you'll overheat your R888's. I would think that slicks would be the best option.

A trackday for me (and I'd imagine the vast majority of Zed drivers) would more likely involve 5-6 laps at a time and then bring in the Zed (on a cool down lap) to allow the heat in brakes & fluid, oil and tyres to dissipate. Easier on the Zed and on tyres.

Alex when you say that the R888's would fall apart after a really aggressive track session - then what chance would a set of road tyres have?

I do also think though that the recent price hikes on R888's have made them unfeasible - better to have a set of slicks and a set of good road tyres. The only issue there would be the even greater strain of forces that a set of slicks would put on a DD Zed.