HEL Lines fitted but a new problem encountered

SteveW

Well I managed to get my slime green HEL lines on today but have now got braking problems . . .

Pictures of the lines, they do look cool, shame you can't see them when they are on :wacko:

CIMG0014.jpg

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

Basically now when I brake there is a lot of pedal travel before I get any braking effort.

If, when driving, I press the brake then quickly press the brake again the brakes work really well. Pedal pumps up rock solid when the engine is off.

When I fitted the new lines I bled the system OSR - NSF - NSR - OSF, all in all I've put half a litre of brake fluid through and no air was coming out.

I'm really confused now, brakes worked spot on before fitting the HELS. I'm guessing its something I've done as opposed to an issue with the lines.

Does this sound like I've still got some air in the system, what else could it be??

Been a rubbish day, found my oil cooler was leaking so thats now off too. Only thing that seems to have gone OK was the oil change..... tempting fate I think there. . . .

+1 on the re-bleed

If its new fluid, just put it in a container and use it to top up the master cylinder, at least your not wasting it, and make sure the air is fully out......

Best not to do this as the new fluid that comes through the brake system will be aerated ;)

i had the exact same issue as you mate and it was sorted after re bleeding. Annoying though as i know it was pure fluid coming out when i done the fluid flush.

bleed them again after a couple of weeks, its horrible though when you hit the brake pedal and nothing happens until so far down, especially as with my ones it only happened like once in a blue moon but since the re bleed they work spot on everytime...

i also changed the pads when i done mine to yellowstuff so am not sure if you did, thats the only other thing i can think of if maybe the pads are still bedding in ?

Had my brakes bled by Kwickfit a few months ago and they allowed air to get into the system which gave the same effect as your getting. They bled the brakes lots of times with little effect :headhurt:

To cut a long story short the main dealer told me that air had got into the brake sevo and that it had to be bled by a pressure bleeding system. After this it was just tickedy boo

:teeth:

Thanks folks will get some more RBF 600 and re bleed. I knew I should have got two bottles lol.

I thought it was probably still air in but I've never experienced this before do thought best to check.

I had my dad helping me as the 'pedal man' but it doesn't seem to have worked will get my usual helper next time ;0)

Thanks again :0)

Something you may want to check first is that the peddle limiter bolt has not been previously adjusted to take out some of the free play, what happens is that if it has, the peddle never returns to the fully released position, and so can never be bled properly, because they have taken up the slack but not compensated by adjusting the actual peddle to master cylinder link.

System really needs to be bleed diagonal, i.e blled left front with right rear , inner then outer nipples.

Then bleed the right front with left rear , inner then outer nipples.

Then you should pressure bleed the system , pump up the pedal the crack open the nipple to allow the pedal to go to the floor.