aarrgghh! tax overdue!

UNABASHED

Just realised that my tax is due to run out on 31st March, unfortunately my MOT has now run out and the car is booked in on 1st April. Problem I now have is I cannot tax the car without an MOT against it and the MOT will be a day after the tax is due. I wont be driving on the road but will i still get fined, I know there was talk about the new rules regarding tax but not sure if it has come into effect just yet?

MOT is fine, but did the law not change to say that you are automatically fined if you run out of tax - or am I making this up?

don't think so ......... you can buy tax whenever you want .... but you do have to sorn if you intend to keep the car off the road

The law relates to having cars insured.

It needs to be insured if its not sorned, whether on road or not.

So you cant have a car just sat on the drive with no sorn and no insurance - it needs one of those two things. Tax is the same rules as always has been, either its taxed or its sorned.

The tax man can still come after you automatically. Through a computer database, basically. However, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. They won't go anywhere near you until your a good month or so out of date. Same for a cop - in the unlikely event that a cop does you for no tax (it's not a 'chalk' for us ;) ) - it wont matter unless your far out of date.

People making honest mistakes aren't the ones we/they are after!

I was pulled by the police because my tax was out of date. It ws an mgbgt owned by a so called friend. :shrug:

My mum has a MGBGT V8.

Sooo nice. Needs a bit of work but its off to the MG owners club soon to that done!

I meant that the tax would be OK for about 7 days.

And the MOT would be OK as long as its pre arranged :thumbs:

Thanks to my wife 'filing' away the road tax reminder for her car we missed the deadline by 2 days. Oops. I assumed the DVLA system would simply rub it's hands with glee and fine us but nope, it seems some leeway has been built in... :)