About to go mental-garage forgot to put oil cap on

Dom187

*breathes*

I got my Mrs to take he car to get serviced a couple of weeks ago. We have always known the exhaust is blowing somewhere. Recently this has got worse and when I have driven the car sometimes I have smelt fumes coming through the air con. So when my Mrs came back from dropping her friend off, I said say in the car we will work out where this leak is. I thought because I could smell fumes the blow might be in the engine bay so I asked Amy to open up bonnet. To my horror the engine oil cap was not on, there was oil everywhere. I told Amy to switch the engine off and get inside as I was about to go mental.

After I had calmed myself down I checked the oil level of the car and the car was going downhill and looking at the dipstick it was half empty so I have given it a good glug of oil and I managed to find the oil cap in the lower subframe and put it back on.

I took pictures of everything and I will speaking to the garage on Monday.

I cannot find the words or the emotions to express how angry I am. I take it this will have royally screwed the upper part of the engine?

Would any one be able to give me any advice how I should further proceed with this? The car is a Honda Civic, the cars done about 100 miles since the service.

Thanks

When you discovered this was the level still between the 2 marks?

If it was I cant see there being any damage other than oil all over the engine bay. The oil splashing around in the head has already done its job and is just waiting to drain into the sump to be pumped around again.

I would defo get them to properly clean the engine bay though. rubber hoses etc dont like prolonged contact with oil.

Also remember you have probable put a nice coating of oil on the road around your house so take care in the zed next time it rains.

Meh, it'll probably be fine. You're not the first and nor will you be the last.

Simple human error, irritating but hardly the end of the world. God knows how you managed to do 100 miles without the cap on though, most times you're lucky to get 2 miles before realising there's an issue! Get the garage to clean the engine bay thoroughly though else you'll get that smell for weeks.

If you go in shouting and ranting about it you will get nowhere.

Go in very calm and speak to the service desk. Ask them how they propose to remedy it. If they answer isn't acceptable then ask to speak to the manager. Do the same with him. Give him the opportunity to remedy the issue without demanding anything. Again, if this isn't acceptable to you then go higher up the chain, GM, Honda UK etc.

It's a very simple error, shouldn't happen but unfortunately has. It's how the dealership deals with it now that will prove if they are good are not.

I second that.

I once had a service on my Honda. My front pads were VERY low, but I was driving to JAE the next day to take delivery of new uprated discs and pads.

Brakes were going CRAZY on the drive there, I knew there was something wrong.

Got to JAE, took off my wheels to stick the new discs on. They had put the pads back on THE WRONG WAY ROUND.

i.e. metal to disc rather than pad to disc!!!

Luckily we filmed it/took photos of it all as we were doing a "how too" thing for the delsol forum.

Anyway, went back nice and calm, with the discs and pads, spoke to the manager, told him I had just spent £200 with them on a major service and another £200 on discs and pads.

They gave me the service money back, the money for the uprated discs and pads back (which I was buying anyway) AND credit note for another service.

In exchange for the wrecked discs and pads.

I went in there, asked to speak to the manager in his office. Kept it quiet yet firm. Let HIM decide what to offer me.

Very sorry to hear about this, but as Dan says easy human error. Go and see what they say :)

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbs: , sorry if it seemed like I was being over the top I just thought no oil cap = :scare: Also I had another garage put the wrong oil in my Zeds gearbox and diff about a month ago and there was a big who ha with that as well so I am abit fed up of stuff like this at the moment :thumbdown: The oil was between the two markers before I put some more in so you guys say this is ok? I will speak to the garage tomorrow and see what they will do.

Thanks for the responses guys :thumbs: , sorry if it seemed like I was being over the top I just thought no oil cap = :scare: Also I had another garage put the wrong oil in my Zeds gearbox and diff about a month ago and there was a big who ha with that as well so I am abit fed up of stuff like this at the moment :thumbdown: The oil was between the two markers before I put some more in so you guys say this is ok? I will speak to the garage tomorrow and see what they will do.

You are entitled to a rant. There is nothing worse than handing over cash and getting rubbish service. It's even worse when people are negligent.

Just use a ranting outlet other than the garage.