Whats next??

cookiemonster

Well with the iminent departure of the zed im kind of stuck as to what to replace it with! I now need something a bit more pratical in terms of it having four seats but apart from that im quite open. Im looking at the Honda Integra Type R as from what ive seen it looks great, is reliable and in some ways fairly economical to run. Does anyone have any history with the car? Or the VTEC engines in general? do they have a life span similar to that of a wankel engine in that because of the high output to capacity ratio its going to run down quite quickly or am i looking at an engine that will hit 120k mileage?

any info would be great!

Thanks

Dan

vtec's pretty bullet proof as long as they are maintained. wankels need new tips due to the design of the engine; nothing to do with the speed it revs too.

i get good economy from my vtec compared to the zed, and would say the performance is almost identical to the zed, but the way its delivered is very different. Vtec is a personal preference thing, i personally love it as it suited my driving style, but its the old horses for courses.

thanks for that guys, yea im not comparing the two cars as for me the zed wins hand down anyway but im thinking with my head and not my heart for once so its got to go. :thumbdown:

Im not looking to spend a fortune on one anyway so might settle for a newer high mileage version if people think the engines are bullet proof.

Always had the same opinion Tarmac in that ive gone for bigger engines had a big 3.0 BMW both petrol and diesel and they were great but want to get a feel for a vtec, just being a petrol head i guess :lol:

Honda have never had a Vtec engine sent back they are built that well, Had a prelude Vtec with 105k and still felt like it had every pony loved the noise of the vtec kicking in and the way you have to rev them but mine did use a bit of oil now and again due to the high milage probably. Spoke to a DC5 owner at the pumps who said he gets good mpg(no figure tho) did think about geting one but rwd V6 swung my vote :teeth:

If you get one you wont be dissapointed it felt like my honda was faster than the Z but thats just the way it delivers its power,nothing low down but once you drop the gears(you need to!) it flys!

EP3 type Rs are also nice handling cars but you dont hear the Vtec kick in as loud.

Not Sure on your budget? But ya cant go to wrong with the VAG group 2.0TSI Unit that you find in the AUDI,VW,SEAT & SKODA I used to have an A3 quattro sportback had it chipped running around 260BHP, gave good economy, handled well and went like SH*T off a shovel. Piccy below :thumbs:

VTECs are lovely wen you are a kid...

I used to rag my DelSol around something rotten! :#1:

but I wouldn't want one now... As Tarmac says... big engine cruising/grunt it the way to go. and diesel for economy.

that Audi Mookstar posted is lovely... to trade off... :thumbs:

Honda have never had a Vtec engine sent back they are built that well

Oh yes they have, many a VTEC engine has failed and needed replacing. The actual VTEC part of the engine may be okay, but that doesn't mean there's not a million other parts that aren't made quite as well ;) Don't believe everything you read.

4 seats + fun + not silly money = 3-series of some kind. RWD FTW IMHO.

I'm having same problem! After that knobjockey in the x5 destroyed my zeds front end, I'm thinking of selling it when it gets back from repairs as I'm totally depressed bout it, she was almost finished I just needed wheels and lowering! :-( my wife wants me to buy her a mini and me to save for something nxt year as I can't really see anything I want except new gtr but $$$$$ :wacko:

This is just my 2p,

If you dont care about fuel consumption...

VW R32

If you do...

Seat Leon Cupra R

Skoda Fabia VRS

I know some one who had a Civic Type R, Audi RS4 and then a Porsche. He said that the Type R was more fun than the RS4. What are you after? Fun or Comfort?

I havent been in a Type R so I cant give any advice, one question I do have for Type R owners is what are they like at motorway speeds? Are they noisy?

This is just my 2p,

If you dont care about fuel consumption...

VW R32

If you do...

Seat Leon Cupra R

Skoda Fabia VRS

I know some one who had a Civic Type R, Audi RS4 and then a Porsche. He said that the Type R was more fun than the RS4. What are you after? Fun or Comfort?

I havent been in a Type R so I cant give any advice, one question I do have for Type R owners is what are they like at motorway speeds? Are they noisy?

not noisy at all mate, infact my completely standard type r is so quiet ot bores me! lol

cheers