Speed camera Question

Dove32

Some interesting points you have made. I am a part time tutor of Transport Studies at a Hertfordshire College and a full member of the Chartered institute of transport. And often had police drivers come and join in the drivers hrs section when teaching the CPC to hopeful driver operators. Every member of the Police have said the same thing. The speed should be 80mph on motorways. And like you my number one bug bearer is unroadworthy cars and ones without tax and insurance. Not sure what your stance is on this but my hand on heart opinion is take them and the car off the road there and then. As for people driving whilst using the mobile phone. If they kill someone they should be charged with manslaughter. I am a firearms and shotgun licence owner. If I accidently miss the target and kill someone I expect to be charged with manslaughter. I also know that a car is a leathal weapon so if they kill some one with it whist preocupied then the law should be the same. Struth I am on my soap box now. I went into the driver training industry when I came out of the forces due to my GF being killed by a drunk driver. He got banned for 18 months and a £250 fine I was disgusted. It was 33 years ago now. But never forgotten. I do put my hand up to drinking from a bottle of water but make sure no one is behind or near me. No excuse. We are all guilty from teenager, Policeman and polititian. Not so long ago I moved over for a red policecar in Park lane who was on blues and two's drinking from a mcdonalds paper cup. I presume from the Hyde park corner branch. Thats why we need to keep reinforcing the message. In October 1998( I think) was it not made a road traffic offense to sit in the centre lane when the nearside was empty. ie lane hogging? I believe this is the greatest single most cause of driver aggresion. No doubt everyone has a story to tell.

But at the end of the day to many people are dying on our roads needlessly. On reflection your suggestion of Average speed cameras

is a very good idea. And fit them up with NPR whilst they are at it.Is there some way you could kick start a campaign? I would gladely

add my name to it. I think we need 5000 names for a parliamentry hearing? maybe less.

Keep this going guys is a great debate.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, on the way home from work last week one night I thought I would play a game. What I would do, is everyone I saw who was either speeding, driving dangerously, changing lanes without indicating, hogging the outside lane, lane drifting, tailgating, driving with no headlamps, talking on their mobile etc. etc. I would give them 3 points. I would then count the number of points id given out over my journey home.

In the 40 odd miles my drive took, I ended up having given out a total of 120 points nearly. These were all things which the speed cameras would not have typically flagged.

Its the lane drifters that worry me. The worst case ever that I am aware of was a british coach on the autobhan in Germany.

The Coach was not so much drifting but tyring to overtake a truck. The driver could not see in his nearside mirror as there was a truch right up his stack. Bearing in mind he was driving on the right he took a chance and just pulled out. In this country he might have got away with it, but the Autobhan? The shortened version of the official report was.The Coach pulled out into the path of a new mercedes SLR doing approx 200mph. The car hit the coach at that speed and the coach was doing 60mph. So basically even though the car braked it didnt have a chance and hit the back of the coach at approx 130 mph. The force was such that the rear engine of the coach was pushed forward to the front of the coach taking legs with it and the young female courier was hit with such volocity that she was thrown through the windscreen. She survived the impact only to stand up and be killed by an oncoming truck. It was one of the most hart wrenching stories I have heard and The crach pictures. The Drivers of the Mercedes airbag was caught high up in a tree and the merc looked like it had been in a crusher. This is clearly a case of utter madness and I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I am 100% with the guy that said cameras are a cash cow. One county recently started to take all there cameras out

and admitted they were purely their to make money. These are not my words but the words of the Council Leader and they should know!!!

Can someone tell me why it says I am a Z hopefull when I have one and thought I filled in a thingy on here to say so? Ta:)

Half the problem I see, even with my limited 5 years experience of driving is how awful driving standards are in the UK. There are way too many people who have inadequate driving ability. Too often do I see young guys/girls pass their tests and assume they are the best drivers in the world and think they can drive everywhere at 60mph. Too many people are around who simply are not fit to be on the roads, that includes people of all ages.

My other issue is the amount of people on the UK roads with an International Licence. Anyone who resides in the UK should be forced to get a UK licence immediately before being allowed to drive on UK roads. I also think the probation on a UK licence should be 4 years and new drivers should be limited to an engine size of no more than 1200cc for the first 4 years of driving.

In my opinion, speed cameras don't work. No matter how much politicians go on about since a camera was installed in "X" location accidents are down, all it does is push things further away. All you need to do is see the amount of cars going up to a speed camera hit the brakes 30 yards from it then speed off again afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, I don't drive everywhere on the speed limit, but I don't drive like an idiot.

I have seen the results of bad driving (all too often unfortunately) and 9/10 times it is due to speed, however usually in combination with dangerous driving or driving without due care.

(I think it is based on your post count, the title will change as it goes up)

Now I dont work for the company I shall tell you a story. I was free lance driving instructor to a large TFL London bus company.

They always have short falls of drivers. When a country joins EC and you can take your pick the law on international driving licences is that all they have to do is swop for a uk licence as their licence has to be recognised. The main Ec country that UK recruits from their test standard is a lot lower than ours. And the cosequences were distasterous. Crashes left right and centre. A spate of low bridge incidents and people knocked down on crossings. These drivers are out on the roads all over the UK and this also includes truck drivers.

Enough said.

I suppose as we get older and wiser we learn more but we never stop learning.

I was lucky I took all my driving tests includinh HGV and PSV in the Army so racing and showing off would get me an audiance with the sergant major.

We all need to take our minds back to passing our test and getting our 1st car. I was taught how to pass my test. Not how to drive. That we teach ourselves and the main difference between the time Iwe took out test and now is we tend to take more chances

because we are more confident. But then I took my test 36 years ago and a lot less traffic about. In this country I truely believe the test should be a lot tougher and everyone should have a refresher course at set intervals. yes I know this is expensive and a lot of people will disagree. just because I haven't had an accident in over 30 years of driving isn;t down to my driving skills and does all the certificates I have does not make me a better driver. It is down to pure luck. Because thus far the drugged up junky or **** head has not come hurtling towards me to put my skills to the test. My 1st reaction would be to swerve, but swerve into what. I won;t have time to look and see the young woman with the baby buggy on the pavement. Or the pensioner at the bus stop. And it is not in my nature to play russian roulett. So what is the answer as all the training and skills in the world will not prepare you for those waste of spaces. If you or your actions cause the death of someone because you are under the influence of drink or drugs or have stolen the car or not insured and no MOT tha you should be given a life sentance period.

I am 100% with the guy that said cameras are a cash cow. One county recently started to take all there cameras out

and admitted they were purely their to make money. These are not my words but the words of the Council Leader and they should know!!!

Maybe, but we should all know the rules and expect to suffer the consequences. Anyway, I think the money from fines goes to Central Government not to the councils. In any case its not the fines that hurt, its the penalty points, that's why wealthy celebrities spend thousands to avoid a £60 fine....so, if we drop the fines but keep the points what will the whingers say then ;)

Pete

The council or county that took the cameras out i believe said the money goes to the Police.

If everyone did keep to the speed limit we could be faced with a giant wall of traffic which would very quickly grid lock the road network

So we must maintain a staggered speed to prevent this. But who would want to be the slow and who would want to be the fast,

I am not against any sherking and evry debate will have fores and against thats what makes it so interesting. Do the crime do the time as they said. My gripe is non licence holders or wreck drivers killing people!!

Isn't it funny how we all like to own a fast car then try to keep the speed down.

Anyone know the gate code for Dunsfold areodrome?

Maybe, but we should all know the rules and expect to suffer the consequences. Anyway, I think the money from fines goes to Central Government not to the councils. In any case its not the fines that hurt, its the penalty points, that's why wealthy celebrities spend thousands to avoid a £60 fine....so, if we drop the fines but keep the points what will the whingers say then ;)

Pete

I never read this properly. Yes definately keep the points:) Well said

Peter:)

Too often do I see young guys/girls pass their tests and assume they are the best drivers in the world and think they can drive everywhere at 60mph. Too many people are around who simply are not fit to be on the roads, that includes people of all ages.

Some younger drivers think they're immortal and often drive well beyond their limits, it's only a matter of time with some of them. Young lads are a particular menace they're easily distracted and just don't have the sense of responsibility that older drivers have. We've had several fatal accidents around here involving young men, what's noticeable is that they like to show off to their mates and especially to young girls. It's often the case that when they have fatal accidents...1, there are no other vehicles involved and 2, they are quite often the only survivor as they are the only ones in the car wearing a seat belt. I believe that a curfew for under 21's who've recently passed their test is or has been under consideration.

Just generalising here, but older drivers, well, younger and middle aged men tend to be more aggressive, driving too close, cutting you up, women and van drivers are the worst offenders for using mobile phones, and just about everyone, young and old. fails to use signals these days. Jeez, when I took my test I had to do hand signals :lol:

Pete

The problem with young drivers is they arent allowed to find their limits. When my parents were young, you could go tool around in a field without a care in the world and find out how a car hadles. Or you take your 1l sh*tbot with 10cm wide tyres out for a ragging where it will slide all day long round rounderbouts at 10mph, so even when you do stack it, its at no speed at all. Modern cars are too good for their own good. It takes considerably more speed to unsettle the car and when it goes, it does so with a lot more force and the consequences are larger. Give kids a place to go play and learn the limits from a young age and you wont see half these problems with young drivers, hence the new young driver courses popping up now ;)

Your both right I started on a tractor and was ploughing fields and taking corn and wheat from combines by the age of 11.

I saved all my money and bought a 3 wheel vespa and drove it round the farm were I worked and as the farmers fields stopped about half a mile from were I lived used to take it along the track and park it in the field. No good in the wet and snow though. Even in the army we learnt our 1st test on landies and trained in a compound called the Nursery at rushmore Arena near Aldershot.

I have a profile on FB and the amount of girls who put down there no 1 bug bearer is slow drivers. They even ask for boyfriends with fast cars. So thats were the boy show offs come from. One other thing to add. because of the nature of my illness I sometimes take large doses of prescribed sreroids. They make me go from calm to wild cat in a split 2nd so I avoid driving as much as I can when on them and count lamp posts when annoyed in standing traffic. I always leave early for hospital appointments. I was 1st put on high dose steroids at the tender age of 16. I wonder what would of happened being a red headed 18 year old if I had been on these prescribed drugs whilst driving. My 1st road car was a volkswagen karmann ghia. That would have hurt being hit by that.

Illigal steroids are freely available to anyone that will pay? I used to do a night run to Manchester from Heathrow with a artic full of parcels. One of the other drivers was a young body builder. he used to take anabolic Steroids. It was nothing for this maniac to undertake on the hard shoulder and that was before limiters when our Scanias would do 85mph. The amount of people he pulled out of cars and hit yet no one ever did anything as they were to scared. Not sure what the law is on illigal steroids. I hope they are classed as a class one because they are a sure killer of the inocent. If anyone wants to visualise a person on steroids and drugs look closely at Rraoul Moat!

Some interesting points you have made. I am a part time tutor of Transport Studies at a Hertfordshire College and a full member of the Chartered institute of transport. And often had police drivers come and join in the drivers hrs section when teaching the CPC to hopeful driver operators. Every member of the Police have said the same thing. The speed should be 80mph on motorways. And like you my number one bug bearer is unroadworthy cars and ones without tax and insurance. Not sure what your stance is on this but my hand on heart opinion is take them and the car off the road there and then.

If the M.I.B says no insurance then they aren't driving that car any further until they can prove otherwise, simple as.

Un-roadworthy is a big thing too, I stopped a car at about 1.15am this morning that was driving around with literally no exhaust. The idiot behind the wheel even had the cheek to complain at having being pulled 3 times in 2 days :S That car should be getting turned into a fashionable piece of furniture today (in all fairness, he planned to scrap it himself).

Please don't mistake my comments on average speed cameras. I absolutely hate them ;)

Side note - Steroids are illegal, there's an urban myth that they are legal to posses. This is wrong, you can be arrested for it. However many cops don't realise this (I only looked into properly a month or two back when I mate locked somebody up for it). I'm in Northumbria Police Force and I was working when Moat went on the run and was stood in Rothbury watching bits of him get rinsed into the river so you will get no arguments from me there :)

Some interesting points you have made. I am a part time tutor of Transport Studies at a Hertfordshire College and a full member of the Chartered institute of transport. And often had police drivers come and join in the drivers hrs section when teaching the CPC to hopeful driver operators. Every member of the Police have said the same thing. The speed should be 80mph on motorways. And like you my number one bug bearer is unroadworthy cars and ones without tax and insurance. Not sure what your stance is on this but my hand on heart opinion is take them and the car off the road there and then.

The reality is that there is already an unofficial speed limit of 80 on Motorways, as long as you're not tailgating, driving erratically or doing 80 in fog or heavy rain then you're very unlikely to be pulled. The only problem with making the official limit 80 is that it'll push the unofficial limit up to 90 (80+10%+2mph). I'd go for a 75 limit with an unofficial of 85 for a trial period first... :)

Pete

Proplem is the substances used for illigal drugs often have a dirivitive in for prescribed drugs. For example I take Morphin and oxicontine which is stronger than the Morphine and the prednisolone prescribed steroid has the same side effects as its illigal conterpart anabolic steroid.

I get violent mood swings if I am not carefull but have learnt to control them as the pain eats most of the effect up. As does the Morphine and Oxycontine. But they are all I believe made from Opium. Or as the Yanks used to say Anlodipine and ever since Doctors gave this "Anlodipine out" willy nilly 200 years ago it has been the done thing.

Especially with innercity doctors who have less time to see patients and no time at all to research their back ground.

When using the computer enhanced awareness test I would 1st of all run through it with the guys on the course without medication.

I would then go and take some Oral morphine and do the same test. My speed increased by average 40% my reactions slowed 60%

and i missed pedestrians and bystanders by inches. Only trouble is I had to get public transport home as I will not drive if I feel effected.

I only have to look into the mirror and look at my eyes:)

I now never use slow release pain relief of any kind only oral morph as it is quickly in and out of the system. I am driving at 12 noon tomorow so I will not take anything after 12 noon today? But none of this is on the medication bottle. It used to say on class 1 prescribed drugs "Do not drive whilst taking this medication" Now it just says "This medication may make you tired or drowsy. If effected do not drive"

I would like to see the Autopsy report for Mr Moat and see what was in his system as only people who are truly ill or depressed commit suicide otherwise it's down to chemical unbalance in the adrenal gland proberbly caused by self administered drug abuse.

He chose death by cop but took out inocent people with him. I am still not against tightening of gun laws as we have the toughest tests in the world. All that would happen would be more and more guns dissapearing off the register and not being accounted for.

However I have I am friends with several firearms officers and regularly go shooting with them. We all agree one thing that the application forms could be amended. At the moment it says have you ever been treated for depression etc, If you put no in the box they never contact your Doctor as they are so understaffed. and now they have taken the out of hrs payment off of them even less thorough tests will be done. i think that every application should consist of a medical with your GP just as PSV and LGV.

This would stop those with depresive illnesses and the ones that Take anti depresants getting a licence. Not sure about MR Moat but I just made a phone call and was told off the record that there is a mention of Bi-polar disorder. Might explain as Lithium is a strange drug?

Peter

As no one has responded as to why the speed limit for cars on the motorway is 60 and trucks and buses is 50 I will tell you

Back in the time of Ranald regan and maggie Thatcher there was a worl fuel shortage. Or rather we would not pay the price the arabs wanted. So Regan put a blanket speed limit of 55 across the USA and we by act of Parliament lowered the speed limit acordingly.

When the full crisis was over there was no act of Parliament ever bought out to counter act the previous one so the 60mph still stands as case law.

One of the daftest is truck speeds. Trucks can do 60 mph on the motorway but EU legislation says they must be fitted with a speed limiter divice set at 56mph. So if a truck is doing 60 mph as down hillover run will do that and as an ex trucker you do not apply the brakes with a heavy load as you will heat up the wheels and start throwing the cheap nasty retreads through the winscreens of cars killing people. So you use the exhaust brake./telmar or what ever to hopefully slow you down. But it wont have no effect at 40 tonnes or as I had 80 tones down reigate hill so you just hang on. All the driver can be charged with is a defective speed limiter, But they are not defective as some of the people that carry out tacho checking do not under stand the basic principle or purpetual motion.

However Truck tail gateing is every where and every day and if you are overtaking they will move up even closer.

This is one dangerous monouver that never seems to be stopped. Not that I am saying it isn't.

And by far the worst offenders and the biggest name in hit and run incidents and overturning there truck on the motorways

tailgating and killing people is the international truck company Norbert Dentressangle Trucking. They always seem to be at the centre of it and dissapear leaving the aftermath for others to clean up. They took over were Trathins Coaches left of 30 years ago.

/

Don't you mean 70mph as speed limit on motorways for cars? National speed limit is 60 on a single and 70 on a duel carriageway. (I may have read what you wrote wrong, if so my bad!).

My dad was an HGV driver and is now a fleet manager for HGV's. I've never driven one so can only take what he said as fact. He basically said that the limiters on HGV's are a pain and is a main contribution to why trucks are so slow up hill on motorways as they can't rev as high or something like that anyway.

My pet hate though are people who drive far under the speed limit in the middle or right lane, forcing people to undertake the car. I was driving home on the M25 at about midnight a while back and had someone driving in the right lane (5th lane?) at about 40 mph. I went two lanes inside and had to undertake, which is another pet hate of mine, but sometimes you have no chioce.

NO in the fuel shortage 30 years ago they reduced the overal speed by 10 mph across the board for eahg type of vehicle. So Motorways for cars dropped from 70 to 60 and duel carriageways the same. Trucks and buses were reduced to 50 Bearing in mind a bus or coach (Alarge bus) by definition could do 70 as well on motorways. And the official ruling or State Law these speeds still stand. When the fuel crisis was over we just assumed it would go up again so we all went back to 70 on the motorway. When the law says it is 60. It's just one of those daft subjects of truth that give us a laugh and take our minds of the serious stuff for a while.

Peter

I like your dad was transport manager but it was not for me so itaught the subject at Herts College instead,

Yep Speed limiters are a pain in the arse when going up hill as they slow you down when you have a load on.

You need inertia to carry you up the side. Then you come upon a truck going a slight bit slower so some drivers come out and overtake at the brow of the hill. Then as you go down the other side the nearside truch gains momentum so speeds up and as he is heavier gets pushed down the hill faster than the overtaking one that is lighter. Hence you know the rest 2 trucks side by side 56mph for mile after mile and neither giving way. I gave the name in an earlier comment on this post of the main offender.

Statistic wise and based on a % basis as you have to remember there were less vehicles on the roads. There were 40% fewer incidents involving coaches and trucks 25 years ago than today. Unless all vehicles have some kind of speed limiter then it wont work as efectively.

I believe the japanese have limited all cars to 120 mph. Correct me if I am wrong.

Every one tends to blame bus and truck drivers and sometimes this is the case but the idiot who hurtles onto the motorway straight into the outside lane is a cause of swerving. As is the constant convoy of Nissan micras that sit in the North Bound middle lane on a Friday pm of the M25 M1 and in reverse on the Sunday evening that bewilders me. Why does this make of car behave in this manner? Is it some kind of built in function that when it is overloaded it just goes straight to the middle lane and site there? By the way the only 2 vehicles that are allowed to cruise in the middle lane are Ambulances on blue lights for obviouse reasons and PSV's in fog or falling snow when visability is down to 100 metres.

Looks like this topic is branching out into all sorts of things now!

Heres my 2p`s worth...

Steroids - These affect different people in different ways. Ive known people who use them in the past. Some can become raging loonies with big ego`s who think they are indestructible incredible hulk characters. Other "users" are perfectly normal quiet and calm people who wouldnt hurt a fly. I guess it depends on what sort of person you are in general. If you are the kind of person who has a bit of a temper then they maybe amplify it, but if your some timid quiet calm person then your ok. Interestingly I know people who are the same after a few pints... some get really aggressive, others are fine.

Drugs - Same as Steroids. Ive known quite a few people who do drugs at one time or another. Lets take weed for an example. I know several people who smoke this every day for years and are perfectly quiet, sane, normal people who are relaxed and happy. And yet I also know 2 other people off hand who ended up having mental breakdowns and being sectioned off in a mental home after doing weed for a couple of years. They are now diagnosed bi-polar and on all sorts of pills to try and keep them "normal". Again.... It must depend on how strong you are mentally - or something in your brain, how some people are fine and yet others have psychotic issues. One thing with weed tho, is all the blokes ive known who smoked it look about 20 years older than they really are! Its really a good advert for how smoking ages your skin!!

Firearms - You have to give your doctors details when you apply. Its entirely upto the police if they bother checking your medical background to see if theres any conditions which they feel mean you shouldnt get a license. Gun laws in the UK are some of the tightest in the world nearly and gun related incidents are very rare.

One pet bug bear of mine with regards to speeders is those old people who sit there doing 45->50mph in a 60 or 70mph zone... then they come to a 30 or 40mph area and they still continue at 45->50mph. Its as if they only have one speed!

Looks like this topic is branching out into all sorts of things now!

Heres my 2p`s worth...

Steroids - These affect different people in different ways. Ive known people who use them in the past. Some can become raging loonies with big ego`s who think they are indestructible incredible hulk characters. Other "users" are perfectly normal quiet and calm people who wouldnt hurt a fly. I guess it depends on what sort of person you are in general. If you are the kind of person who has a bit of a temper then they maybe amplify it, but if your some timid quiet calm person then your ok. Interestingly I know people who are the same after a few pints... some get really aggressive, others are fine.

Drugs - Same as Steroids. Ive known quite a few people who do drugs at one time or another. Lets take weed for an example. I know several people who smoke this every day for years and are perfectly quiet, sane, normal people who are relaxed and happy. And yet I also know 2 other people off hand who ended up having mental breakdowns and being sectioned off in a mental home after doing weed for a couple of years. They are now diagnosed bi-polar and on all sorts of pills to try and keep them "normal". Again.... It must depend on how strong you are mentally - or something in your brain, how some people are fine and yet others have psychotic issues. One thing with weed tho, is all the blokes ive known who smoked it look about 20 years older than they really are! Its really a good advert for how smoking ages your skin!!

Firearms - You have to give your doctors details when you apply. Its entirely upto the police if they bother checking your medical background to see if theres any conditions which they feel mean you shouldnt get a license. Gun laws in the UK are some of the tightest in the world nearly and gun related incidents are very rare.

One pet bug bear of mine with regards to speeders is those old people who sit there doing 45->50mph in a 60 or 70mph zone... then they come to a 30 or 40mph area and they still continue at 45->50mph. Its as if they only have one speed!

Can't argue with any of that. I put down on my Firearms I suffer from Ankylosing Spondilitis and Chronic Cluster Headaches otherwise known as suicide headaches. However suicide has never crossed my mind. But then I could be a lier and put down there is nothing wrong with me and I suffer from Bi-polar. As we both agree we have the toughest gun laws in the world if a check to ones Doctor was made compulsary I truley think we could make our nation stand out and send a message to the rest of the world. It still would not make aquiring a gun water tight but certainly close the gap. And as to diactivated weapons I personnaly would like to see the action wealded and hot metal poored down the barrel. Mu mate has a Side by side diactivated shot gun with a certificate and all they have doen id drill 2 holes in the barrells. I inter changed the barrells and put a 12guage in each chamber and missed the 1st clay but got the 2nd?

Certificate has the London proffing house official stamp on it! Any views on that rabbit! peter

Can't argue with any of that. I put down on my Firearms I suffer from Ankylosing Spondilitis and Chronic Cluster Headaches otherwise known as suicide headaches. However suicide has never crossed my mind. But then I could be a lier and put down there is nothing wrong with me and I suffer from Bi-polar. As we both agree we have the toughest gun laws in the world if a check to ones Doctor was made compulsary I truley think we could make our nation stand out and send a message to the rest of the world. It still would not make aquiring a gun water tight but certainly close the gap. And as to diactivated weapons I personnaly would like to see the action wealded and hot metal poored down the barrel. Mu mate has a Side by side diactivated shot gun with a certificate and all they have doen id drill 2 holes in the barrells. I inter changed the barrells and put a 12guage in each chamber and missed the 1st clay but got the 2nd?

Certificate has the London proffing house official stamp on it! Any views on that rabbit! peter

I agree. As I said, its upto the police as to whether they check with your doc to see if you have any history which may influence their decision to grant or renew your license. You have to put doctors details down on the form, so the police have them - its entirely up to them if they do the check. I agree with you, I think they should. I also think it will do nothing at all to reduce gun crime as virtually zero gun crime is done by people who legally hold their guns.

As to the de-activated gun. Im no expert, but i believe the rules as to what has to be done to a gun to "deactivate" it have changed several times over the years, so it depends when it was done. It was my impression that things like firing pins were removed, mechanisms welded and bits like that, but maybe that was only done for the more recent deactivations. From the sounds of your mates gun, he could just put a sleeve in the barrel and use .410 cartridges on it as it is!!! Which isnt good!

Anyway, this is all off-topic as this is a speeding thread!

Would speeding bullets set of the Gatso's or are they to fast ha ha.

Ok we shall kill that and concentrate on refresher courses for us older guys.

At the moment I have to have a medical every 5 years for my PSV and HGV. Surely some one who has a condition and has an attack at 80 mph on the motorway can cause just as much damage as swerving as a lorry does. If I was driving a truck and a car swerved into my path My 1st thoughts are to swerve if not I could catapult the car into oblivion or more often than not into inocent traffic.

I dont think a five yearly medical and refresher day would not hurt.

Peter