Coolant change questions!

evilscorp

Hi, im in the process of replacing my cam cover but also fitting a new MD plenum spacer, as the workshop manual suggests draining the engine coolant before doing this.(also want to do it as im halfway through doing a P3 service on the car).

I notice that the radiator drain plug is easy to get at but it suggests that the engine block plugs should also be removed? Do you normally do this when you change your coolant???

Just asking as the undertray bolts (ones with the metal clips) hav rusted solid and wont come off without ripping the plastic, leaving the holes ruined like the otherside :dry: The bolts in the middle are all fine and the ones at the back so what do you recomend?

(mainly should I remove all drain plugs or just the main one on the radiator?)

Also I have bought halfords coolant that is for alu engines should this be ok? and what mix should I use since I am from Scotland and its still a bit cold :cold: was thinking 40/60?

I only removed the radiator drain plug. To be honest, the engine block drain plugs can only be accessed with the engine out of the car from what I could see. I can't see how you could do it without doing a major strip down.

Refilling is a bit of a bugger. Biggest recommendation I have is to fill the car, let it warm up fully and top up as required during the warming up stage. Rev the engine as the manual says. Then let it cool down fully. That may well mean overnight. Then top up, warm up again and repeat as necessary to remove any air blocks.

Good luck as I found it a real pain to do and even the Nissan tech agreed it's a bit of a bugger when I asked for advice.

Jim

Cheers guys just seen the post on fitting samco hoses and it gave a great walk thru and pics, would it be ok to leave the engine *dry* i.e no coolant for a day or 2while i change my cam cover?

Engine won't be completley dry unless you remove the 2 drain plugs on the engine block ;)

Mine was left all over winter with no coolant or radiator fitted & its fine now :thumbs:

You are only going to give yourself grief by changing the coolant fluid as you will encounter bleeding issues to get the air out the system.

No need to drain the coolant when swopping out the cam cover or the plenum spacer,

Alex. :)