Major repair on 07 plate Z/warranty

Moonhawk

I bought an 07 plate 350z roadster from a main dealer (Westway Birmingham) in July 2010. Last week the clutch peddle stopped working and after having it looked at by Nissan Chester - they are saying the slave cylinder has gone (£1100 to fix and repair the damage it has caused to other components). The car has done ~27000 miles.

When I bought it - the dealer only gave us 3 months warranty which we were surprised at given the cost and nature of this vehicle, we did query at the time - but were told this is standard on used Nissans (on their website it currently states up to 12 months). I have spoken to main dealers for other makes and they were also surprised that this was so short - suggesting that 12 months would have been the norm.

One of the reps at the Nissan Garage in Chester also seemed surprised when I told him about the 3 month warranty and said they may be able to negotiate with Nissan to make a contribution towards the repair - although I have yet to hear anything back about this.

Does anyone have any experience/advice regarding this - have I been done WRT 3 months warranty?

I'm very surprised that a used Nissan bought from a main dealer doesn't come with at least 1 year's warranty, and I've never heard of any main dealer for any brand offering a car for sale with less. That said, it's all down to what it says on the paperwork you signed I guess.

£1100 is a rip-off though, even if they're doing both slave and master (while you're there, I certainly would) I would expect a bill of around £800 at the most. Go and speak with the guys in Chester, they seem far more clued up and willing to help. :thumbs:

We were too - but the dealer wouldnt budge. Kinda makes a mockery of buying off a main dealer - i'd have probably got a 3 month warranty if I had bought one from Dodgy Bob's car emporium.

Just been doing some digging around and it appears that my year of Z was recalled for exactly this issue. Spoke to Chester and they are saying that the recall replacement was carried out in Oct 2008 and that the slave is now out of the standard 12 months parts warranty.

I did contact Birmingham after taking reciept of the car to complain about a noise on the clutch (it makes an almost grinding type noise in neutral - that dissapears when I depress the clutch) - but I was told this was normal "clutch chatter". I'm wondering now whether the two things could be related.

I have a new Genuine Nissan HR clutch kit in stock at a fraction of Nissan prices.

Unfortunately, the concentric slave cyl. is a known issue.

An indy should be able to fit this for circa £200.00

Drop me a pm if I can help you further.

Alex. :)

This guy just got a 12 month warranty:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46883

:)

All in all I havent been too impressed with Nissan so far.

Whilst looking for a Z we went to several main dealers and found them to range from disinterested to bordering on dishonest, even once we had found the car - should have followed my gut.

So far - Chester have been good and have referred my case to Nissan customer services to see if a contribution can be negotiated, waiting for somebody to call.

Just bought a used Volvo from a main dealer and found them to be completely different, totally professional - a breath of fresh air.

We were looking at a possible upgrade to the 370 in a year or so - the resolution to this issue will make or break that decision. Shame really because I love the car.

edit: ZManalex - thanks for the offer - but I had already given the go ahead to do the work and its complete now. Plus you are a little out of my area ;).

This guy just got a 12 month warranty:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46883

:)

I certainly did. I was actually quite surprised as ive never bought from a main dealer before and am only used to getting next to no warranty from car dealers.

That clutch thing tho.. got me worrying now, as mine mates a whirring noise when its in neutral which goes as soon as you put the clutch pedal down. Its sounds a lot like the noise you get from a worn thrust bearing on some of my other cars. Is that a "normal" sound for a 350z?

Update:

Got the car back - noise in neutral that dissapears when depressing the clutch is still there, so looks like it may be a red herring. Still not happy about the slave cylinder/warranty issue though and i'm going to persue it with Nissan Customer service.

On a different note - as I got the car home - the engine warning light came on. Doing the self diagnotic check gave me an error code 850. Not sure what that means as I cant find that code in the list on this website - looks like another trip back to Nissan is on the cards. Looks like they have also had the gear knob off at some point during the repair and there is a really annoying rattle coming from it now when accelerating - almost sounds like there is a screw loose inside it.

Not impressed :angry: