Help please

Michael robinson

Sorry to always seem to shout for help but this time it's serious

Here's the story

I was taking my girlfriend to a job interview and half way ther I pulled up to a set of lights and the car just died, I tried to restart it but nothing .

Then tried again and electric came back could here relay click but nothing, got a few kids from the street to push me and tried to bump start it, it started the first time for about 10second then died and wouldn't start after that.

So phoned AA and he turned up he pluged his dynostic set in but couldn't get it to linked up.

We tried linking the battery to his booster pack still nothing.

he also tried reset procedures and play around pressing buttons on the key fob (must be reset procedures for immobiliser) - immobiliser had consant red light .

Then he linked the battery to the engine casing and it turns over but its not getting sparks from my plugs and don't think am getting fuel.

(cooling fan is running full belt when ignitions on)

anyway after a while he give up and i got recovered to my home

Two days on

i have tested all fuses and relays and all are fine the immobiliser light is back to normal (flashing red) and cooling fans dose not run when ignition is turned on.

when i turn the ignition key the engine/oil/battery lights stay on and i hear a clicking noise ( battery light flashes with clicking noise) - i have recharged battery and it seems to be holding its voltage well.

i got a hold of a obd2 code reader off one of my friends and the car still wont work connect to the unit .

2days on -

i removed all connectors, fuses, relays , tested them and put them back .

tryed to start and we have life everything back to normal like nothing happened , i drove it straight to the nissan garage and got a free diagnostic check (friends ;) ) the diagnotic connected straight away but no fault logged .

it worked for 2 days perfect till i was driving home then the engine light came on and it started spluttering kept running for about 200 yard then died .

got it recovered and taken it to nissan as i couldnt work on it anymore than i did plus couldnt check underneath due to body kit .

anyway two days on that nissan has had it they come back saying that they cant find anything wrong so far and they think its an ecu fault so are sending it to be tested .

i thought it was a loose earth wire or my bendix in the starting motor or the hole starting motor that would be at fault but thhey seem to think other wise

what you guys and girls think ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my results from ecu tester it is the ecu at fault (the feed for the start relay) so will get it back tomorro and will inform Nissan of there findings so they can test the relay and everything associated with that part of the system .

The cost of an ecu to be reconditioned is £210

Hope this helps

Will update again tomorro

Hi Ebized, pardon me for sounding Stupid but what is the Earth Strap? Is it the bar that goes across the top of the battery? :blush:

See the posts at the bottom of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41995&hilit=engine+earth

Having a 370 now I don't honestly know where the engine earth strap fits to the chassis on the 350. The rock of the engine over the years can break or nearly break the flexible strap. No doubt you checked the connections on the battery and the earth there to the chassis but your car's symptons point to the engine earth strap IMHO :shrug:

It really is amazing what an earth strap broken or poorly connected can do.

Car just behaves very very irratically.

I had the same exact issue with an old car.

A new earth strap sorted all my problems.

Good luck , hope its something simple.

It really is amazing what an earth strap broken or poorly connected can do.

Car just behaves very very irratically.

I had the same exact issue with an old car.

A new earth strap sorted all my problems.

Good luck , hope its something simple.

The current from the engine will always try and find the easiest route to ground, if the earth strap is faulty god knows where the next route would be on a Z and what that current will be affecting (actually Alex would probably know... but same thing on this forum I guess!). I know the next simplest route to ground on a '2 is through the throttle cable which burns if you keep trying to start the car with a faulty earth strap.

Finally after a month of the monkeys at Nissan playing with my car they say they have found and rectified the fault

They said it was the coils on the car had broke down and caused a direct short which resulted in all the other faults . So hopefully get the car back and pay up the horrendous bill .

Having mixed emotions at the min .

Anyway going to ask for a break down of cost and al post it on here so you'd can have a laugh