Garage Parking

Bradders

Guys and Gals looking for advice. Shortly I'll be moving into my new house with a garage :D Remote roller shutter too :teeth:

Thing is I have never parked the Zed in a garage. The missus Swift Sport goes in ok but I'm thinking mine is too wide. The garage entrance is I guess standard. I'll measure it tonight. Its just under 7ft I think, but the getting in and out of the driver door might be a problem.

What do you think?

Bradders.

I think you will have trouble getting out the car once parked inside you will have to put some carpet on the walls to stop the door bashing them when getting out, I had an integral garage on my house I slowly filled it up with crap until a few years ago when I turned it into another room to get away from the kids best thing I ever done!

I seem to remember from reading around when we looked at getting a house that there basically is no true standard size :scare: Wouldnt worry too much about the door, you'll pretty much always get through that, its how much space you have either side when you are in there. In my garage for example, I have a "standard" door but then it widens a good foot either side to give what is frankly a very wide single width garage, plenty of room to park the Zed in the middle and detail it all the way around. My mate on the other hand has inches to spare when putting his Evo away :headhurt:

carpet on the wall is a must, you can get free samples from most carpet shops ;)

also if you are a reverser (like me) then i took it real careful the first time and then marked on the wall where my wing mirror should be, when i reached that i knew i was far enough in to shut the door, but not too far to hit the back wall :)

oh, and just breath and take it steady! after a few months you will be throwing it in there wondering what all the fuss was about :lol:

You'll be fine. Just add the carpet as suggested and park as far over the left as you dare. My garage is a standard size one and I managed to get in and out of the Zed okay without too much hassle.

+1 - you just get used to it. I go as far to the left as possible and have a piece of carpet where my door opens. I have stuff at the back of the garage which is covered in padding and I have to reverse until i'm 'just' touching it and then close the roller door with my fingers behind to make sure the car is far enough back - but worth it and you do just get used to it.

Park it outside, it's cheaper on insurance to ;)

I always thought having your car garaged helped cut insurance premiums??

Quite the opposite, there was a £100 difference between saying my Z4 and now 350Z was parked on the road and not in a locked garage.

I do the carpet on the wall too, and pull over to the left as far as possible.

I got someone to watch me in the first time, and I put a brick on the floor where the front wheel needs to stop (and marked it on the concrete just incase I accidentally move it out the way).

Probably only got about 4 inches spare on the wing mirrors going in, but its easy to get used to.

Quite the opposite, there was a £100 difference between saying my Z4 and now 350Z was parked on the road and not in a locked garage.

Bizarre! One thing to definitely note is that if you tell your insurer your car is garaged at your premises then you MUST put it in the garage or inform them that it may occasionally not be. Doesn't cost anymore but they need to know.

i have been using my 'standard' garage for ages. i dont know what car it was made for !! probably an Austin 7..... check out the photo.

I have towels and carpets all over the place and look like I am having a stroke as I squeeze out. This month I spat the dummy and the garage is having an extension built right now! 50% longer and 33% wider on the new length - if you see what I mean. photo to follow on completion. I will be able to park a open the door fully !!!! How exciting ! :#1::#1::#1::#1::#1:

i will also be able to take the bike out without moving the car, which will be bloody fantatsic B)

Bizarre! One thing to definitely note is that if you tell your insurer your car is garaged at your premises then you MUST put it in the garage or inform them that it may occasionally not be. Doesn't cost anymore but they need to know.

This use to be annoying as i had to put the car up every night, was paranoid if something did happen the insurance company would use it as an excuse not to pay out.

Tip 1 - carpet on the wall.

Tip 2 - window down to get out.

Tip 3 - have someone guide you in first time then make reference points as to how far to go next time. :thumbs:

All the above are great ideas but not always viable depending upon the garage.

When we moved house last year, one of my requests was to have a decent garage as I had never been able to put my car in a garage and I was just in the process of purchasing my Zed so this became even more important.

The perfect house was found and it did have the stand alone garage and drive-way........so all happy. :thumbs: It wasn't until we moved and I tried to place her away on the first night I discovered the issue.

Well I'm a thin chap and even with placing the Zed as far to the left side of the garage as humanly possible and with all of the above points listed; I still couldn't actually get put of the car once parked. :thumbdown: I reckon I had about 3 inches to get out of the car and I'm not even this thin.

So all in all I wasnt particularly happy......wifey over the moon though as her BM now has it's very own garage.....jealously is not my best side!!! :rant::rant: