Clutch/gearbox noise

350ZDan

Hello everyone,

My names Dan and ive recently bought a 350z. Loving it. Thought id give a very quick hello before i start boring you and not to be rude he he.. And as its my first post on this forum.

Well ive done some searching all over the internet and on this forum but have not stumbled across the answers to the questions i want answered!

Ive recently installed a new clutch(exedy OE spec) and fidanza light flywheel. 2 problems.

Firstly, since the new clutch, if i give some right foot, bit of abuse and come to a halt, press the clutch down i get a squealing noise..... i release...... noise goes away, back on and off clutch and noise slowly disappears. Opinions on this?? As a local mechanic is also confused.

Secondly, since the new flywheel ive naturally got a loud noise at low revs due to going from duel to solid flywheel. OK, but is the noise supposed to disappear when you press down the clutch? Or is this rattling noise a possible input shaft bearing? I mean the noise has only been apparent since the clutch/flywheel change.

This noise is in gears whilst driving and also in neutral. it gets slightly quicker with increased RPM. Noise only seems really apparent whilst driving between 1K-2K RPM. And also in neutral, loud rattling and revving.

So yeah, i know they make noise but i really want to know if noise goes away when clutch is pressed down...

Information would be absolutely perfect and very much appreciated. Im a great car enthusiastic, love my track days/modifying etc and the 350 has really taken my fancy and could potentially become a nice project.

Thanks for taking time to read :) :)

PS i do hope this is the right section

Hi mate,

I'm no expert on it but I believe that the Fidanza flywheel chatters below about 2K revs, which is normal. This may the answer to both of your questions - should be some more info on here somewhere though!

Hope this helps. :)

ps - Why not say hello in the introductions bit !!!

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah i mean ive heard the chattering is normal with the light weight solid flywheel but on idle as well? I also need to know if the noise disappears once you push the clutch down in Neutral idling? As the noise and symptoms sound like a potential input shaft in the gearbox problem. The clutch squealing is a separate problem to this which im also confused about..

I will introduce myself properly, and post some photos up of the car although it looks standard with the GT kit rays wheels etc in black 05 plate. Looks like a nice forum here and some very very nice cars :)

Any more info from anyone? any experience in this? I just hope its not the input shaft as that will cost me around £950 :bang: Ive only had the car 3 months :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good question was there an answer to this? Not meaning to highjack the thread but I have a chattering noise appear on my Z when in neutral but dissappears when clutch in depressed.

Good question was there an answer to this? Not meaning to highjack the thread but I have a chattering noise appear on my Z when in neutral but dissappears when clutch in depressed.

One of the most common thread topics ;)

It's normal oem clutch/fly or not only a case of being bad or very bad. Keeping the clutch pedal down whilst stationary solves the issue and trains the left calf :lol:

That is perfectly normal on an OEM clutch/flywheel set-up :thumbs: Many people (including me) has noticed this noise. I guess i's just part of the characteristic of the car :)